Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hash butter - cooking time

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Vinni, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Greetings

This is my first post on the forum. I never had much need for a cannabis forum but since i stopped smoking, and starting making edibles, im in need of some advice.

So i live in Europe and the most common cannabis in my area is hashish from the Netherlands and Marocco.

After reading on the internet i have developed the following method to make my hash butter:

1. Tear my hash to small peices and place them on a plate. I use the same method as when im rolling a joint.
    2. Double seal the plate with aliminium foil.
    3. Put the plate in oven for 55 minutes at 110 degres celsius to decarb the hash.
    4. After 55mins i turn off the oven, open the door for a few seconds and close again.
    5. 10 min later i take out the plate and let it cool a bit.
    6. While im waiting for the plate to cool i setup a double boiler and turn the heat up so it so the water allmost boils in the first pot.
    7. When the water is allmost boiling but not boiling, i add coconut oil to the second pot.
    8. When the coconut oil is liquid (its cold in my country!), i take the hash and mix it in the coconut oil liquid. I stirr til its more or less dissolved.
    9. I stirr every 5—10 minutes. The temprature is still so that the water in the first pot is allmost boiling, but not boiling.
    10. After 30mins im done and pour the hash butter in a plastic container, and place it in the fridge.

I think my method is ok, but im sure it can be improved. I would like some input on my method if anyone have time. I espcially look for advice on my my boiling time of the hash butter. The original recipe i follow i got from:
    Hash Butter: The Quickest, Easiest and Strongest Cannabutter You Can Make

This recipe states that 20-30 minutes is enough. However, everywhere else i read, i see people are cooking the butter from 1 hour to 24 hours.(!)

A few places i read that a longer cooking time will lead to stronger body high, while a shorter time will produce a stronger «mind» high. Is this true? Is there some science that verify this?

Im also intrested in what temprature my butter should be at when im heating it? It couldnt find any reliable info about this so far.

Any other suggestion is also welcome.

Ill try to update my recipe above according to any advice i get. Maybe this post can help someone else in the future.

(My next batch will contain Lecithin. Im still waiting on it to arrive..)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey bro, here also someone from Europe too. After health problems, I am unable to smoke anymore so I do only edibles. You are on the right place here! I live in the Netherlands, so I use also only Moroccan hash for my OIL! I don't use any butter... but take this recipe:

The basic ratio is
    5 grams of hash-kief (dry ice method with a 160 micron screen)
    2.5 teaspoons of oil
    .5 teaspoon lecithin..
    Decarb material 240F for 40 minutes
    Blend decarbed material with oil and heat 220 F for 20 minutes..
    Makes 30 (0) capsules.. Average of 25 drops of hot hash oil per cap

This is the most strong product I've ever experienced... even compared to smoking, this caps are killers. If you want more info about that look here: Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads - this thread is pinned on the top and if you have questions, just ask the guru @BrassNwood - he can help you and guide you if you need some help!
    As of my opinion... try it... IT WORKS! I've managed to make some very experienced smokers cry with this caps. Just use good hash!
    55 minutes of decarb is a little bit too much. 115 for 40 minutes is doing the perfect job!

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Joker1121, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    We typically recommend 115 C for 40 minutes to decarb hash. Additional cooking in your coconut oil does not need to be long- 20-30 minutes is fine. If you don't decarb before making your oil it would require a longer cooking time. You just need your oil and hash mixture warm enough to allow everything to combine. Some folks use an additional heat/freeze cycle. @bnw can tell you more about that. He says it makes his oil more homogeneous. Bad Kitty Smiles also recommends heat and freeze cycles. I see no reason to keep it in the oven for longer than your decarb . Science cannot predict what effects you get from your oil. You will have to experiment. You may get anecdotal results of what typically works for folks as far as what procedure produces what effects.

• Like Like x 1

4. Decarb Hash 240 F for 40 minutes ( 115 C ) Open on a pie tin or cookie sheet. (no foil seal wanted)

5 grams Hash-Kief
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon Lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (105 C)
    Freeze ( softens the grittiness Hash can have)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes. (105 C )
    Done

Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture, RSO

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been making Kief-Hash based edible oil for several years and I think I've got a good Recipe on making it.
    Very potent start with just a couple of drops
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. LMAO.
    Beaten to the punch again.
    :)
    BNW

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Hey rpangelov. Im sorry to hear about your health problems. Did you notice any changes from changing from joints to edibles? Personally i feel a bit more energised and my skin seems a bit healthier. I think..

Thanks for the recipe. Ill base my next batch on the this. Btw, did you eat some of these capsules before you took that profile pic? Haha

Thanks for the insight Joker1121. To summarize, decarb will take care of making the THC active. The heating of the oil and hash is just to mix them together. This step does not affect potency as long as the hash is suffenciently decarbed. The heat/freeze cycle will help in making my batches consistently similar.
    Did i get it right?

I do agree with your point about verification. This apllies even more to me that gets my hash from the black market. Luckly i cant remember the last time we got bad hashish.

Thanks for a long post with pictures BNW. I read through alot of your posts and you seem to be really into this.
    Can you perhaps elobrate a bit more on this statement:
    «Open on a pie tin or cookie sheet. (no foil seal wanted)«

Do you mean that i should keep the hash on some surface suitable for the oven without any cover? If so, why?
    Currently i been using a lasagne form as the surface. I wrap the form in a double layer of foil.

I see you also use alot less butter/oil then me.Yesterday i made a batch of 2,5 grams in 4 spoons of coconut oil. My reasoning for using that much coco oil is simply because its easier to split into doses after.
    Unlike you guys i dont make capsules, just butter i mix in my dinner or in a drink.
    Is that ok or am i missing something?

If i continue with edibles i will probably come to the point where i will make capsules as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Quickly becoming a house hold name ya r. WHO RUN IT?

• Like Like x 1
  8. @Vinni
    Hey rpangelov. Im sorry to hear about your health problems. Did you notice any changes from changing from joints to edibles? Personally i feel a bit more energised and my skin seems a bit healthier. I think..

Thanks for the recipe. Ill base my next batch on the this. Btw, did you eat some of these capsules before you took that profile pic? Haha

Thanks for the insight Joker1121. To summarize, decarb will take care of making the THC active. The heating of the oil and hash is just to mix them together. This step does not affect potency as long as the hash is suffenciently decarbed. The heat/freeze cycle will help in making my batches consistently similar.
    Did i get it right?
    The freeze softens the grittiness the hash-kief can have and makes it more suitable for food type edibles rather then say capsules.
    I do agree with your point about verification. This apllies even more to me that gets my hash from the black market. Luckly i cant remember the last time we got bad hashish.

Thanks for a long post with pictures BNW. I read through alot of your posts and you seem to be really into this.
    Can you perhaps elobrate a bit more on this statement:
    «Open on a pie tin or cookie sheet. (no foil seal wanted)«
    Trapped moisture affects the quality of the transfer. Drier is better.
    Do you mean that i should keep the hash on some surface suitable for the oven without any cover? If so, why?
    Currently i been using a lasagne form as the surface. I wrap the form in a double layer of foil.

I see you also use alot less butter/oil then me.Yesterday i made a batch of 2,5 grams in 4 spoons of coconut oil. My reasoning for using that much coco oil is simply because its easier to split into doses after.
    Unlike you guys i dont make capsules, just butter i mix in my dinner or in a drink.
    Is that ok or am i missing something?
    Ratio of Cannabis to oil really doesn't matter as long as you make the same strength batches every time so you know what to expect from a given amount.
    If i continue with edibles i will probably come to the point where i will make capsules as well.
    They make it very easy for me to dose every day without the calories that food would have.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well luckily I am healthy again, but I will never smoke again. Not a big deal... big part of it because of the caps/oil! I can't thank @BrassNwood enough for sharing it's info, research and this lifesaving recipe with us! I enjoyed smoking, but now I don't smoke I feel better indeed - I don't experience any headache and I dont cough at all! Using only caps/oil there is also big difference than smoking. Smoking hits faster and it is different experience, but caps/oil it's much more intense... MUCH MORE. I experience pretty strong effects from very small amount... so small amount I can't even roll in joint. For example - using 5 grams of top grade hash I make total of 10ml MCT/coconut - as @BrassNwood suggest - 2,5 teaspoon + 0,5 lecithin and 5 grams of hash fills a dropper of 10ml to the top! So only 4 drops of this stuff is smashing me for the whole day. If I use every day 4 drops after 2 weeks I will still have the half of it. Back in the days when I smoked, I rolled easily 0.5 of this hash in joint and I smoked lots of in 1 day. So this 5 grams were 10 joints... which were not that intense as the caps/oil are! It got me stoned... but it worked out pretty fast. Taking a single cap or just 4 drops in the morning... I really don't think about using more the whole day. It holds me on to the evening... let's say for good 10 hours. From such a small amount... 10 hours is really long... you can't achieve that by smoking even if you smoke the best of the best, because I have experienced it my self. Here in the Netherlands you can buy lots of hash, but I believe the best hash is still in the producers - Morocco/ Afghanistan, BUT the Netherlands produce lots of weed, so I believe here is one of the best weed worldwide. I've smoked lots of different strains, some of them very rare... and they hit hard, but still you can't compare them to caps/oil. Edibles hit just so much more intense/narcotic/wasted/dream like... I don't know how to explain it. Ever since I use the caps, I truly believe cannabis isn't supposed to be smoked - it's just the fastest/laziest way as you just pluck, dry, roll and smoke. Caps and oils need some more preparation work, but it worth for sure... the product is much much more potent! The people who don't believe... I suggest try this recipe out and use good grade hash. You will be wasted like never before! I made some experienced smokers here in the neighborhood cry with my caps - every since then they pretend to "enjoy more the smoking experience, caps are not cool"... poor guys popped to much at once and kept asking me "What is that... this can't be oil!" ... they looked like me when I smoked for first time and I got panic because I though I am not going to survive this... :D
    I strongly advise everybody... if you can, use your hash in caps/oil following @BrassNwood recipe. There is nothing better you can do with it and you get the most out of your product. Even for the greedy ones... try with 2 grams and 1 teaspoon coconut/mct oil + 0.5 teaspoon lecithin... 2 grams is not much, but you can make some caps or 4/5ml of MCT oil so you can try it your self... but be carefull... and be PATIENT! One time will hit you within 30mins, but others will hit you in 1-1.5 hour. Wait 2 hours and if you still don't feel anything, take 1 more! I was stupid to take second cap only 1 hour after I took the first one... I am never going to do that again - it was so intense that it got kind of uncomfortable. It was really narcotic... I felt it really really strong... like my hands and legs where not as heavy as they used to. I was driving to a friend of mine and I called him just to talk in the time I am driving, because I wasn't sure if I will make it... :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for the clarification BNW. I will make good use of it in my next batch.

Good to hear you are ok now. :)
    I still didnt finish my last batch i made without your guys advice and the addition of lecithin, but im inclined to allready agree with you.

The potency is insane even without lecithin. The batch im still consuming i made from 2,5 g of hash. I divided it into 12 peices so each peice would have about 0.2 grams of hash.
    If i eat one of these at 6pm after work, im stoned til i go to sleep or i fall asleep from the high lol.

Since im currently visiting my family for easter, i split one of these peices in half so it wouldnt be to obvious that i was high. It didnt work! Even 0,1 gram seems to get me a high.

It felt good though that i didnt have to have a «walk» to get high like i used to before when visiting my family. I could just pop one fast and go about my day, without anyone smelling the smoke of my clothes or asking why i allways have a walk every evening lol.

Needless to say im excited about the idea of adding lecithin to my next batch. I suspect i will need alot of testing before i find my «high» sweet spot.. but i will definitly continue. Cannabis has been has allways worked well for me, and edibles seems no different lol.

Thanks again for your replies. Ill update my recipe after my next batch. Have a great easter.

• Like Like x 2
  11. So i got around to make a new batch and i tried it yesterday.

I copied your guys recipe but added a lot more coconutoil to make it less potent. For now ill just mix it in my dinner or eat it like it is. Perhaps i will get some capsules later on.

Recipe:
    2.5g hash
    100g coconutoil
    2ts sunflower lecithin

Decarb at 120 degrees celsius for 40 min in a container.
    Take out of oven and add lecithin and coconutoil
    20min in oven at 105 degrees celsius.
    Take out of oven and freeze in different container.
    Next day, heat for 20min at 105 degrees celsius.
    Put in fridge, done

Notes:
    - Im suprised by the temprature in my oven. I measured it, and it was usally 10-20 degrees different from what it should have been.
    - lecithin changed the texture of the product. It seemed to blend more evenly.
    - i got a smooth surface after the first freeze cycle. After the last reheating and storing in the fridge, the surface is now more bumpy.. i looks like the surface of the moon.. i kinda regret i didnt put it in the fridge again.
    - After the first freeze cycle it looked like the canabutter had more brownish color in the middle then on the edges. It makes me suspect it might be more potent in the middle. Any input on this?

Results:
    10/10..
    I splitted the final product into 12 peices, and oh well.. 1 of them is a bit too much... at one point i had to hold on to my couch pillow. It felt like i was about to take off or fall into the abyss lol. Luckly my phone rang and got me out of that mess. Ill try half next time and go from there.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2

12. :)
    Congratulations.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stoney tuesday :love-mj2:

I just made a new batch. Once again i tweeked my recipe a bit.

After i cooked the last batch i received a complaint from my apartment board about a smell thats not welcome in the building. The irony is i have been smoking here for years without complaints. When i finally stop smoking, they complain... lol

Anyway, i wrapped my container in aluminimum foil to limit the smell. Thats why this recipe is a bit off from the BNW recipe. I also use more coconutoil since i dont use capsules. I mix the butter in my dinner or eat it like it is.

2.5 grams of hash
    1.5 teaspoon of lecithin
    50ml coconutoil (last time i used 100ml which was overkill. 50ml seems more appropiate. Perhaps less)

Decarb at 120 degrees celsius for 50 min in a container wrapped in alminium foil. (10 ekstra minutes to compensate for the foil)

Take out of oven and add lecithin and coconutoil

30min in oven at 105 degrees celsius. (10 ekstra minutes to compensate for the oil)

Take out of oven and freeze it for the night.

Finish.

You might notice i didnt do the last freeze/reheat step as BNW recommends. I just left it out to see the difference for myself. I will most likely add the freeze/reheat step again for my next batches.

Notes:
    - Potent as ever.
    - This batch taste more like hash then my last batch. The last one was more pleasant. Im unsure if its because i have less coconutoil in this batch, or because i skipped the freeze/heat step. Maybe its both. I should know next time.
    - The aluminium foil helped. I could barely smell it while it was in oven or when i took it out. I will most likely continue to use foil to avoid any legal problems.

Thanks again for the recipes and posts. Any input/advice/critisicm is very welcome :thankyou:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. I noticed something today when i was cooking again. This time i put the tip of my thermometer inside the tin foil to see how hot it actually get inside there. When i made earlier batches i just let thermoter be inside the oven.(I use the tin foil to cover the smell)

I put the alarm and oven on 120 degrees just to know when i had the temprature right. After quite some time i check it since the thermometer alarm didnt go off. I was just at 80 degrees. I had to to turn my oven up to 240 degrees to raise the temprature to 120 degrees inside the tinfoil.
    Im sure it would eventually reach 120 degrees if i just waited but i didnt really want to do that.

All of this kinda make me believe i had to low heat to properly decarb the hash in previous batches. This all make sense but im a bit suprised that the temprature was that low.

Attached Files: