Should I start the flush?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Beale1992, May 15, 2022.

1. Hi people I flipped this girl into flower on April 9th.

I'm not sure if I should start the flush now...
    If I flush for 14days from today it will take me to the end of week 7.

Its biscotti mintz from Barney's farm which apparently has a 58-65 day flower time.

I've had a 60x scope on it and the trichomes are looking pretty cloudy.

Thanks. Here is some pictures for you to look at!

Attached Files:

2. Congrats on the grow. Flushing is a bro science technique and doesn't need to be done. If it makes you feel better doing it then go for it but don't expect widely differentiating end results

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks man really happy with it so far! And yeah I thought I would do the flush just as a precaution really, and mainly because most of the stuff I watch/read involves a flush. is it true you see a swell of the buds happen over the final couple weeks?

4. Flushing accomplishes nothing other than denying food for the most important 2 weeks of the plants flowering life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. So do you recommend I just keep feeding it for the last 2 weeks?

6. Worth a listen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gunna make a coffee and have a listen

• Like Like x 1
  8. So from what I can get from that video is flushing is only really needed when there is an excess of salt build up in your medium? Now judging by my readings on my run off today I definitely had a slight build up.

I just flushed it with 3 gallons of water at ph 5.8-6.0 and the EC was 7.80
    The run off came back at ph 5.8 and EC was 1100ish
    so maybe a few days flush and then and then back to normal?

• Like Like x 1
  9. i dont really flush ,but for the last 10 days or so i just give the plant/s water and have some run off the water ,,one one ever said they can taste any nutes in the weed when smoked,,,i used to flush with couple gallons of water but its just a waste of water ,,,,as i said just give water couple times over a week 10days..,,mac,

• Like Like x 1
  10. I don’t flush either

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. What's the difference in your eyes between excess salt build up and over fertilization?

How do you determine what is excess? Dr. Bugbee is hinting that over fertilization and flushing may have a beneficial purpose for allowing the plant to re uptake water.

What I hear him say is...unless your plant is burning, wilting, etc....it's most likely not suffering from over fertilization that would deem a flush beneficial.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Hear hear.

13. I mean its my first ever attempt so Its all news to me. I find in this game I can listen to a person who swears by "this" way but then can watch something else which swears by "that" way. I'm gunna do just water for a flush then I think I'm going to return to normal feeds up until chop day! Its so easy to overload yourself with info

14. Yes. These are the challenges of bro science education vs scientific based education.

The great thing is more and more educational institutes are getting involved in various studies due to the legality. We will see a surge of studies this decade and should learn lots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. @Beale1992 Generally, I run the nutes lower when near the end. I find that excess Nitrogen (N) can lead to rough smoke. This is why many growers opt to use a finisher nutrient in the regime, something that contains low N, but still provides some phosphorous (P) and potassium (K). A product like KoolBloom, with an NPK ratio of 2-45-28 is an example. Similarly, Plant Products offers a Finisher with a ratio of 4-31-37. I would sparingly use a finisher during the last two weeks of the plants life to limit the nitrogen. The plant would then use the mobile Nitrogen it already has by stripping it away from other plant material (ie. fan leaves), and this is why you see many crops that have yellow (or purple) leaves at harvest.

I also have tried flushing for extended periods of time, but it seems that it may weaken the plant's immunity and make it more susceptible to mould, although this observation is anecdotal.

Also, for you interest, please see:
    Research says Don't Flush The Plants
    or
    Flushing Plants Before Harvest Is Unnecessary says Rx Green Tech

where a scientific study was conducted on whether or not a plant should be flushed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. So I forgot to mention I'm growing in coco. Am I right in thinking you don't really need to flush with coco anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  17. just use a finisher if you can and progressively reduce nutes. I like my runoff EC to reach ~300-400 near the end.

18. This is well said and speaks to an article I was just reading on how impactful NPK is on cannabinoid production, but N specifically (the rough smoke, maybe?).

The concentrations of the two main cannabinoids, tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), decreased by 69% and 63%, respectively, with the increase in N supply from 30 to 320 mg L−1 N

Nitrogen supply affects cannabinoid and terpenoid profile in medical cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) - ScienceDirect

It's like....do you want high yield or high cannabinoids!?

These results of the functional and chemical characterizations suggest that high N supply has adverse effects on the production of secondary compounds in cannabis, while it promotes growth and biomass production. Hence, N supply may serve for the regulation of the cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles, or for increasing plant yield, according to the desired production scheme

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. I just did a res change for my final 'flush'. I am using three-part, but for the final feed I provided 1.5mL of calnesium (calmag) and 5mL Bloom (0-5-4). The EC was ~500uS, but rose to 650uS after a two minutes (recirculating) feed. Pics here:
    Emergency Rescue with Mars FC 4800

too much vegetable material is what I always thought. I don't like it. Good find ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I do have a finisher at home I'm going to take a look at it when I finish work today. I noticed on the bottle of the finisher I have it said about the PH needs to be around 3.5? Surely that's too low?