An alternative to trellis netting for SCROG?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by HydroDawg421, Apr 13, 2022.

1. I'm wondering if I placed a small screen on top of the trellis netting and prevented the plant from growing up and forcing it to grow out is a good idea?

The light still penetrates and I don't have the manual labor of repeatedly weaving the plant in/out/under the netting. I could remove this screen a week or two into flower.

Will a cannabis plant 'run' like a vine under these conditions?

THOUGHTS? IDEAS? ADVICE?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don’t really understand why you would do such thing nor can I imagine a plant under that trellis.
    What I can tell you is that Apical dominance will still take over if you don’t top the plant. As plants grow and stems get thicker and stronger, they will be going under stress under that trellis as it can damage the stems and leaves as the plant will still try to grow through that net never mind the shoots that will grow out.

if you simply want to bush it out.., bend, top, supercrop or whatever else technique you want to use, do what you gotta do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Totally normal. but yeah like my man said above. It's probably the outcome you're going to end up with.
    Using techniques like, LST, EST, Super cropping, Topping, manifolding, scrog netting, sea of green, a lot of techniques. And all have great results.

There's no dumb questions.
    The only dumb question is.

"is the question that's not asked"

Stay informed Stay Free grow better..

• Like Like x 3
  4. He’s not asking how to scrog nor scrogging with that net. He’s asking if he can bush out his plant under that trellis

5. That's the whole purpose. So that the plant won't grow through and instead grows out. Much in the same manner that tucking in/out of the trellis netting does without the labor.

6. In the case of photo sensitive plants, I find that placing the trellis just before the plant flower, ie. ~10 days into 12/12 transition period, the stretch has passed and I can gauge the bud length. This is not always the case (see my current grow for example), but knowledge of how much the plant is going to stretch is key.
    I placed the thread link because I am assuming that @HydroDawg421 has already set the trellis and is now dealing with the stretch. An alternative to my linked methods is to set a second trellis down; I have gotten away with it previously, but well, sometimes the stretch stops and its not as rewarding.
    I don't think laying the tight metallic screen down is the best way to go about it.
    Anyhow, sometimes its good to let them stretch a lil ;)
    upload_2022-4-13_14-45-46.png
    upload_2022-4-13_14-46-14.png
    ...with the proper genetics that is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

7. I'm still in veg.

This is being considered simply so I don't have to tuck under the trellis daily and it's working 24/7 to keep the growth horizontal and not vertical. I want to set the screen on top and forget it until I remove it about 10 days into flower. The trellis netting will be left in place for support.

The attached pic is from several grows back. Just looking to reduce my labor.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. this is why I posted my methods. I only do the tucking once. There's a few ways of doing a scrog, and you are doing it by daily tucking, whereas I just do it one day, take about an hour or so. Nice plant btw.
    The laying a metal lattice may work, but seems like a second trellis might be your answer instead, like a hybrid of our methods.
    Also like to add that by placing down that metal screen, you will be cutting down the light availability, as well as risking the bud growing/developing into the metal lathe, which might look really cool to us all, but not ideal for you.

9. Thanks for the insight. I'll let you guys know how this works out on my next grow.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Only one way to find out

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 20220203_101051_HDR.jpg 20220204_114813.jpg 20220204_123223_HDR.jpg
    And some times a 3rd and even a 4th.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2