Emergency Rescue with Mars FC 4800

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by trojangrower, Mar 10, 2022.

1. I have recently tried to grow a Tropicana Banana (fem'd) using some nifty Aero/NFT methods I've been developing. The Aero method works wonderfully, but I've realized that I need more lighting for these monster plants I try to grow. Therefore I am going to rescue this plant using my new MARS FC-4800 lamp.

Lets start with the light itself. The MARS FC-4800 is a true 480 watt light powered by a very nice Inventronics driver along with modern Samsung LM301B diodes. This LED lamp is very easy to setup and comes with everything you need, including hangers, frame, and dimmer. It even has the capability to piggy back with other lights if you run several units. I only unboxed the item today and can say I am thoroughly pleased :D
    100_0223.JPG

Due to government limits, I like to grow monster plants that yield a couple pounds of product. Although not always possible, I try my best...

I hung the lamp as soon as I could.
    100_0225.JPG
    Oh yea... this is the real thing!

Now I have this plant that was in a 2x4 and, being that I was sick in the last while, I left unattended.
    100_0226.JPG
    This plant has stretched way too much for my liking. Therefore I've decided to move the plant to an open space and I'm going to do my best to rescue her... here goes!
    [​IMG]

The plant was removed from the tent and placed under the light.
    100_0227.JPG
    The old trellis, which was placed way too early, was carefully snipped away. I replaced this with a PVC frame and a plastic trellis. Its just my old trellis and I plan to get a newer one later this summer, but for now, it will do.
    100_0229.JPG
    I tried to place each top for a square, but I missed a few spots. Its ok, its a rescue mission!

I also very late to be attempting this kind of rescue as the plant has started to show pistils. I don't normally lay a trellis this late, but what's a guy gonna do. You can note the PAR on the Dr. Lux is reading ~44,000. This is at 16" away from the light itself. The light is currently at 65% power.

Its very dry, I don't mind this though. The plant is supported by nft/aero so I'm not too worried about it drying out, as its fed for 2 min on and 8 min off.

I am using 3-part Holland's Secret and Calnesium at an EC of ~1800 uS and a pH 5.5.

Lastly, the temperature shown is at ~25°C (perfect) but.. this didn't last. When I left the room, it seemed to stabilize just under 28°C. I've since added a fan and closed off the heat register. If its still too hot tomorrow, I can remove the driver from the unit and move it away since MARS made sure to provide ample amounts of wire to do this.

Additional information regarding the methods by which I'm growing this plant can be referenced in
    aeroponic-model-4z0-stoner-experiment-5263199-rev_3-a.2866132

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  2. looks great! defo was all you needed..i liked the other trellis..you know me and s hooks..to each h DSCN3844.JPG is own watever it takes

• Like Like x 3
  3. That's a beast of a light. Looks like you just may rescue this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. upload_2022-3-13_16-21-29.png
    just took a picture to share with my friends. Its still warm at the canopy, and at first I closed the heat register, but then if I do, it gets too cold at night (15°C) so I left it a little open. Currently at 27°C. The solution is weak sauce, riding near 1800 uS, pH ~5.5.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Nice!

• Like Like x 2
  6. That's one stylish fence, I mean trellis net

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Does she like the ph down low like that? I've been letting my current one ride around 6.0 ph don't usually go all the way to 5.5 not intentionally anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I would like to get a tighter one, but right now its good. Its zip-tied at four spots and the plant is still lifting it up.

Here's a couple angles of the plant.
    18 Mar 19 2022.JPG
    100_0235.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. It depends. If the solution has a tendency to dip down, I would set it a lil' higher. The solution has been increasing, so 5.5 is good.
    Traditionally, the optimum pH for hydroponics is 5.50. This is the top of the hill, allowing higher and lower variability. I feel safe with this plant at 5.5. In soiless, I prefer ~6.0. In soil ~6.25.

Tropicana Banana stretches soooo much! The first picture in this grow is about day one flower, and yet it still stretched. The light is set at ~75% and the canopy is receiving ~60K lux; it's very even throughout.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Nice. So you liking the light so far? The folding design is pretty sweet. I hope it's not too heavy on the reds. I felt like my Mars was but that could have just been me pushing too hard.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tbh, I do like the light so far. I'm going to do a back-to-back with this light so to properly review it, but its nice to start with a flowering plant to know what to expect next time.
    One thing I needed to do this time was to use a level to set the light. Its fairly heavy and I still have the driver in the middle of the set, but there's enough wiring to move the driver away, which I may do if temps increase. Right now ... its ok.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nice light. I like how they aren’t all the same distance on the bars. I’m sure helps alot to keep things even par

will be interesting to see how it does vs kingbrite

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Plants look beautiful ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Been a week or so since I last posted some pics. Here's how things are looking (yesterday):
    19 Mar 26 2022.JPG 100_0238.JPG
    I forgot to turn the pump back on a couple days ago. My memory is my nemesis; either that, or distractions...

• Like Like x 2
  15. She really stretched. It’s interesting how some plants will grow a ton and yet others will not put out that much growth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. yea tropicana is a sick stretcher. Remember, this journal was started about two weeks post light switch, so it shouldn't have even stretched any!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. #20 trojangrower, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    Houston ... we have a problem...
    [​IMG]

I've been worried about my plant in the last week or so. Although I've been regulating the pH and EC daily, I haven't changed out the reservoir in a long while.

Lets start with the full pic
    100_0243.JPG
    Note the lower bracts are in the center.

Taking a closer look
    100_0240.JPG
    The older leaves are looking limey, the stalks have gone purple, I see some necrosis and some tip burn.
    100_0241.JPG
    I even see some premature ambering on some pistils

100_0242.JPG
    She seems very sick to me and I can't figure this out.

100_0245.JPG

I've been maintaining by either adding calmag + water to back off EC or adding {G:M:B} at ratios of 1:1:1 at first, then switched to 1:2:3 since I suspect a phosphorous lockout. EC ~2.0 ms; I've back to 1800ish but it climbs up over time.

I thought about what @JoshuaE said, and increased the pH some, to ~5.9 - 6.0, but it didn't clear up, so just changed out the solution. Currently pH 5.75 EC 2.10. Been a day, but not seeing any recovery.

Also checked the roots and pulled the rat-tail out, but from what I saw, the roots looked healthy. Maybe they aren't lower down; its hard to check when in this scrog.

Its still getting warm ~ 30°C if I turn off the big air cleaner, but about 26° if I leave it on. I may just pull some air from outside (filtered of course) and set it up on a temp controller. Nights are hitting 18°C. Not that cold ffs :/

is it the light? 60K lux last time I checked...

I think this plant is @#%ked...

edit: water spray is on for 2 min and then off for 10 min. Maybe I need to back this off? ie. overwatered? But why would that start now? idk

• Like Like x 1