Advices wanted on improving my extraction methods

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by HemperorSelassie, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Hey everyone. I'm new here and kinda new to any other consumption methods other than smoking and only extracts I've been doing very occasionally are butter (not correct decarb method and mostly got ruined in the baking apparently) and ISO extract and boiled off and in 2009 we only had others to teach us from experience, books and VHS tapes. The dry sift hash method I always used was from a VHS tape from 1989 and grow videos were on DVD's at least.

It's a long story why I had to get into extracts but to make it short I had a business partner in building a company based on hemp and I watched him make oil for my mother one time and I said "NOPE ! I don't know how to do it but this is aaaall wrong" so I had to learn it fast.

I had no idea there was such a huge world around all kinds of extracts until recently and I am trying my best to offer topicals for free but it's a slow process. I would love all tips on how to improve what I am doing but please be nice about the criticism, I'm sensitive

I am going to begin with the skin cream that I've done 1 time with great success and 2 times failed... I use hairy stems with some small budding on and leftover dust in my jars and weed that falls on the floor or all that gathers up on my rolling tray (you get the drift) and I do a 3rd wash from the oral oil I make once a month.

⚠️ I decarb in a glass jar with a wooden lid and silicone airproof lining, at 120°C for an hour on a wet towel and turn and shake the jar quickly every 15 minutes. (Grind up the cannabis with a kitchen grinder and then a hand grinder first).

‍ I add ISO to the jar and use a wooden spoon to stir and then let it sit and lightly move it for 10 minutes and sift through a strainer not too fine but I'd be happy to use for oils. I do that twice and take the 3rd extraction and boil it all off in a rice cooker and transfer to a Pyrex glass measuring cup and slow boil the rest in a pot with low boiling water and the cup in it. Then I add avacado oil but it's difficult to assume an amount of oil to infuse it with and then I add Shae butter 2/3 (and have tried with shae and cocoa butter) and let it all sit in a glass cup submerged in water in my crock pot and stir with a wooden spoon... Then it's in the jars and syringes and in a box into the fridge overnight.

To make a really good topical I would use premium buds but it's a part of a process I'm working on to open the minds of older people to the healing powers of the plant primarily, and give it away for free ! The Rick Simpson way ☺️

Butter method I do is pretty simple and everyone around me are amazed but I am sure there can be improvements.
    10 grams of ground decarbed cannabis into a pyrex cup into 120 grams of unsalted Icelandic butter and and 2/3 water and let it sit for 3-4 hours submerged in water in my crock pot and stir with a wooden spoon from time to time. Then I add it to the freezer for around 3 hours. Then I remove the butter layer and put it back in the crock pot to melt and toss the water. Then I just squeeze it through a nylon pantyhose sock and I get around 100-110 grams of butter.

The oil for my mother is done the same way I use for the topical, decarb, 2 iso washes, boil off in a rice cooker and transfer to a smaller vessel and add avacado oil. Last one tested at 294mg/ml

My kief hash methods are still evolving and waiting for a pollen press at the moment and have been dabbling with trying dabbing.

Would love to hear your opinions and links to reliable sources of information and all tips and criticism welcome.

Peace out ✌️

Hope it's in the correct category

2. BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    Kats. She no longer posts so you can't get answers to questions.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    Mine.
    Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture, RSO
    Mine.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thank you so much ☺️ gonna be a good read tonight. I was gonna hit the like button but hit agree, which I do of course

4. Well I've been studying BadKat a little and her oil method, I was thinking if that was possible to reach 300mg/ml og oil? I do RSO and infuse with avacado oil to around 300mg/ml but this method she uses is fire hazard free

5. All cooking oils save one require a full 2 hours to transition through your stomach and finally reach your liver. Only Coconut oil bypasses much of the digestion process and speeds the THC to your Liver for conversion to 11-Hydroxy-THC. 45 minutes for a Coconut oil carrier edible to kick in.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 HemperorSelassie, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    I just ordered 4 bottles of coconut oil earlier today :toke:
    When I do RSO and infuse with oil I go for 300mg/ml but since that requires boiling off a lot of ISO so I was thinking if I can get the same amount pr mL if I used her method of making the oil :apache:

7. Cannabinoids will stay suspended in an Alcohol solution indefinitely. I make my RSO using 190 proof drinking grade alcohol both so it can be used as Tincture directly and so I don't worry about using a toxic agent in my processing as all of mine are used internally.

With the Still I recover most of the Alcohol and only need to make up a small fraction that is lost each run. Nothing like wasting it via evaporation and watching $$$ fly away.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  8. Been looking over BatKat's videos and tried reading some of her posts, which are so long for my ADHD so I will have to copy it to a document and take it in chapters (with different lettering for easier reading) but about her medical grade oil, is it solid or can it be used with a dripper? Just wondering how I should pack it for my mum and how to recommend dosages if I try this method. I'm dead scared of boiling off ISO or a lot of it since I don't have proper ventilation. I have a tcheck 2 THC tester so I could measure the strength pr/ml, but then I'm also thinking what would be the ratio of MCT, coconut oil vs 22 grams of cannabis, which I usually mix with 40ml of avacado oil after boiling down to "RSO" type and that usually comes out around 300mg/ml and I'm having her take 5 drops in the morning and 5 in the evening,,,

Sorry if I'm being annoying or asking stupid questions, this is just the most important part of the cannabis products I make but I love to play with butter and making edibles just for myself and experimenting with that but I have 2 patients who are older ladies who never tried it before and don't want to feel the high so much...

It's the ratio and texture of the medical grade canna oil I need if you can help with that :confusedalt::confusedalt::confusedalt:

9. If you stick with Kat's recipe
    5 grams of Cannabis
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin.

You get with finished oil.
    Powdered Buds 1 drop = 1mg THC
    Kief-Hash 1 drop = 3mg THC
    Concentrates 1 drop = 6mg THC
    [​IMG]
    With the dry ice Kief I use I get a thick sludge, mud consistency that needs to be warm almost hot to draw well into an eyedropper. I need to constantly stir between each eyedropper draw to keep all the bits in suspension and evenly distributed in the Capsules. Stir, Draw, Fill capsule, Install lid, Stir, ect.

A full single zero (0) capsule holds 25 drop of oil or goo.

[​IMG]

For new users make up some 1 drop capsules and let them find their own sweet spot in dosing then make them capsules to order.

With my Kief most ask for 5 or 6 drop capsules.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. So I don't add any MCT oil to the mix?
    Will have a look to see if I can find some capsules in this village and have her try that...
    These are my infusion materials

Attached Files:

11. Any cooking oil works but only Coconut oil is 45 minutes to come on. Everything else takes 2 full hours.
    MCT is just refined Coconut and Palm oils and not worth the much higher cost then plain Coconut oil IMO.

I've blended oil in the past but changed to straight Coconut oil a long time ago. It hits fastest and lasts a long time without going rancid.

Capsules and Lecithin are both best ordered online IME. If I can find them locally they are 10x the cost.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  12. It's the 45 minutes I'm interested in and you give me so much information to digest :)
    I already have a liter of MCT oil, could I use that with the coconut oil to make it more "liquidy".
    I intend to make chocolates from infused coconut oil so I think I have enough information for that, or at least to start experimenting.

Yeah I intend to order capsules online but since I just need 100 or less I would think, I know there are vegetable capsules sold in one pharmacy here so I would start there.

13. If you use Veg capsules test one first with straight oil to be sure they hold up. I've always used the gelatin based ones.
    Sure you can blend any cooking oils. The MTC is fine just know the next buy you can save a few bucks using plain Coconut oil.

For cooking make the High strength Oil first then blend it with the oil used in your baked good. It comes out strongest this way with the Lecithin getting maximum effects from small batch high concentration ratio.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thank you for taking the time to answer all those questions ❤️
    So I CAN replace the coconut oil with MCT this time and get the same results only in a more liquid form?

I just ordered 1000 capsules from Poland which will arrive around 14th of December so if I can make it liquid this time while waiting for the capsules.

I was thinking last night if I should just go with ISO extraction and boil it off on the balcony if I wouldn't be able to supply the medicine before next month. I'm almost a month behind on my monthly oil making

I could have ordered from Amazon and received it late this week but the shipping was 4 times the price of 1000 capsules and I have to pay taxes and fees off the shipping cost too so it would have cost a fortune.

But I have 1 liter MCT and 4 jars of coconut oil (3 in the freezer) so I just need supplies to make the capsules ☺️

15. Make Bud Oil.
    Decarb 5 grams of Buds in Pea sized nugs 240 F for 40 minutes.
    Grind to flour grade dust.
    Mix with 1 tablespoon of Oil and 1/2 teaspoon of Lecithin.
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Freeze (optional for better mouth feel)
    Reheat.
    Done.

Buds = 15% 150mg of THC per gram.
    5 grams = 750mg per finished tablespoon.

750 ÷ 10 = 75 you'd cut your sheet brownie into 75 pieces to get 10mg per chunk.

BNW

16. [​IMG]

The single zero _0_ holds 25 drops of oil-goo. You can eyeball a rice grain sized blob of finished oil and be close to 10mg / 10 drops. The finished Oil will be more a paste consistency then a true liquid even using a liquid state oil.

BNW

17. Thanks for that. Just spoke to my sceptical mother and she was willing to try it as oil but wasn't sure about the capsules *facepalm* She's a difficult woman especially when it comes to this.

Would it be possible, using MCT oil and infuse with a little extra avacado oil to make it drippable?

21 gram decarbed and ready to go ☺️
    [​IMG]

18. It is a question of particle size. You need a really fine dust or it'll clog the eyedropper on the draw up.
    Make a small 5 gram batch first. Don't commit the whole 21 grams in your first attempt.

Even single gram batches will be 10 or 15 doses. You may want to experiment with longer cooking times. Multiple heat and freezes make for a better sleep aid.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 HemperorSelassie, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    Don't I filter the oil through a cloth?

Sorry for my ignorance

PS. Can I heat and freeze in one of my decarb jars?
    [​IMG]

20. This is a no strain whole herb recipe and was never intended for straining.
    Tuck a dose in a bit of peanut butter and get it down.

BNW

• Like Like x 2