Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Will smoking help my pregnancy nausea and is it safer than Zofran?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kitkat56, Dec 8, 2021.

1. #1 Kitkat56, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Hello,

I recently found out that I am pregnant- I am now at 14 weeks. I am a pretty healthy 28 year old and have never had any health problems.

I will preface this by saying- I am not a smoker. I don’t need to smoke, don’t want to smoke and I’m not looking for an excuse to smoke.
    I have been so sick my entire pregnancy and my husband suggested we look into cannabis. I have been to the hospital 3 times and I have lost 16 lbs since being pregnant. My baby is still growing the way he should and all of his screening and tests have come back with good results but my OB is highly upset that I am losing weight and scolded me at my last appointment. I have tried every remedy under the sun.

My OB prescribed zofran but the side effects are horrible for the baby (google it). There is a possibility for all kinds of birth defects and heart issues for the baby. Would smoking once or twice a week - for a week or two hurt my baby or cause any issues? I would just be smoking when or even if the nausea gets to the point where I couldn’t eat or even sip on water. Would this be a better alternative to zofran? I am worried that he is not getting the nutrition he needs and I just want this nausea to go away safely.

If this is a horrible idea I have no problem avoiding it. I will of course listen to my doctor and get a medical opinion before I move forward with it- I am just looking for real life cases.

• Like Like x 1
  2. How do you think smoking once or twice a week would be enough to help? Have you tried cbd? anything you put in your body goes into the baby

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. whom ever you doctor is ,you need to rid of him or her,zofran is for chemo patients, this is in your own court ,but i highly doubt there are doctors on this site that can help you.
    for you to know my wife lost a bunch of weight during her second pregnacy,the baby is draining your thyroid so find another doc,that is if you are serious ,if you arent this is a really tacky thread.
    always get a second and or even a third opinon when it comes to these doctor/druggest salesmen

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. My wife ate a lot of ginger chews during pregnancy, help to settle the stomach. However it really comes down to making yourself eat regularly. It's hard to do. I'd recommend making some cannabis pills to help stimulate appetite or maybe brownie bites you could eat. Seeing as how it's what's you need to be doing, eating that is, I'd say focus on your favorite foods and having easy snack available which you love. Cannabis can help give you the munchies that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. My thought process on smoking once or twice a week:

I typically get bad nausea spells one or two times a week.. I am not able to eat or even sip on water. My thought process is maybe if I smoke once or twice instead of taking the zofran or phengren- it will help me to keep something down and not go to the hospital. Each time I have been to the hospital all they do is give me an IV with liquids in it and then they pump benadryl and a nausea medicine (which was zofran twice) I am simply just trying to avoid zofran.
    I am not a smoker.. I am a pilot and I work for the government. I am just trying to find a safer more natural alternative to zofran and the hospital.

I have tried ginger, peppermint, unisom, vitamin B6. Nothing works. The nausea for most woman is typically over by now but I have sick for nearly 8 weeks now.

6. You shouldn't be smoking anything when pregnant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1

7. My thought process on smoking once or twice a week:

I typically get bad nausea spells one or two times a week.. I am not able to eat or even sip on water. My thought process is maybe if I smoke once or twice instead of taking the zofran or phengren- it will help me to keep something down and not go to the hospital. Each time I have been to the hospital all they do is give me an IV with liquids in it and then they pump benadryl and a nausea medicine (which was zofran twice) I am simply just trying to avoid zofran.
    I am not a smoker.. I am a pilot and I work for the government. I am just trying to find a safer more natural alternative to zofran and the hospital.

I have tried ginger, peppermint, unisom, vitamin B6. Nothing works. The nausea for most woman is typically over by now but I have sick for nearly 8 weeks now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I actually love my doctor but apparently prescribing zofran is VERY common in pregnancy even with the numerous lawsuits that are taking place.

9. My concern is that getting nausea once or twice a week isn't gonna be what is making your weight drop. Your regular eating habits are most likely needing to be looked at.
    We can debate weather cannabis would help you, however in general eating for two is a job and would benefit to be remembered it's not just your needs anymore.
    Cannabis and it's hunger effects are not the most dependable thing. Id say give it a shot but to use it when you start to feel nauseated isn't necessarily gonna help- esp if your not an experienced user. I could imagine it possibly making it worse if your not used to it- but again, that is only using it as a reactionary medication. If you used it as a routine, take a few puffs (maybe a vape pen?)in the morning and maybe eat something acidic like a lemon drop or make a lemon tincture, to trigger your digestive system, then you may get stronger effects cause you have it as a routine, pavlov effect, placebo, probably a myriad of things working for you at that point.
    I'd try making a tincture first, get in routine of eating it in the morning to stimulate good appetite to start packing on some weight. After all you want a healthy child and a healthy you right?
    Anyways just this idiots opinion.
    Best of luck with your gestation.

• Agree Agree x 1

10. Thank you I appreciate it! I am definitely not an experienced use so it may not even be worth it for me to try if it could possibly make me even more nauseous. I am really
    Just trying to avoid the hospital and zofran. Hopefully it starts to go away soon. I may look into CBD- I forgot that CBD even existed. I am trying not to take anything (Tylenol, Advil, unisom or zofran) and that’s making things so much harder. I don’t want to put my baby at risk and if I have to suffer through it then I can- I am normally pretty tough. My doctor just mentioned that if I keep losing weight it could cause developmental problems for the baby too. I feel like it’s a lose-lose for me right now. I literally have days where I get sick and the most I can stomach is 1-2 crackers for 24-36 hours. I’ve been trying protein shakes and prenatal vitamins but I know that’s not enough

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yah, definitely aiming at making a good eating pattern in general was huge for my wife and I to establish. That way the times when she couldn't eat didn't take such a toll.
    Proactivity, in this case surrounding food. Don't deny yourself, ever. I think in today's day where women and men are expected to be more thin and less fat have attributed towards issues during pregnancy and in general. But specifically when it comes to your body having enough resources to build another life.
    Really focus on enjoyable foods and eating is your job, you can do it. There's loads of really great foods in the world. Eggs and oats, every morning would be my suggestion. Yogurt, String cheese, easy snacks for some protein and fats. Nuts, keep nuts around,(as long as your not allergic)- like chocolate? Find some good heavy in calorie foods to keep around, you got a long ways to go and need that weight. My wife and I thankfully avoided hospitals completely shy of one ultrasound, cause our first was taking her sweet time.

12. #12 MIW, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  13. I would dare say that 4mg of all natural THC is safer than 4mg of lab made Zofran. BUT is a 4mg dose of THC plus a healthy appetite SAFER than no THC and no appetite, I do not know.

Have you looked into/tried CBD? I would start there. You can buy it at pretty much any gas station but if you want decent prices, look around online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hi hon, I'm Granny, a cannabis activist and science nerd.

I used cannabis during my 2 pregnancies with no bad results. Like you, I had nasty nausea and a puff or two really helped. Both of my sons are quite intelligent and have the right number of fingers and toes. ;) (And about the claims of low birth weight babies from cannabis use, my oldest boy was 8 1/2 pounds, while my younger son was just under 9 1/2 pounds. Not tiny at all!)

Now here's the problem with smoking your cannabis- CO2 and carbon monoxide get into your blood, cutting down on the amount of oxygen that you and your baby get! I would suggest trying a tincture - you hold them under your tongue for a minute, then swallow. The ones made with MTC oil or glycerine don't sting your mouth like alcohol based tinctures (and you want to avoid alcohol anyway).

WildWill's Glycerin Tincture HOW-TO. (forum thread - 2010)
    Wildwills Glycerin Tincture How-To

Easy Cannabis-Infused MCT Oil (news - 2021) https://emilykylenutrition.com/cannabis-infused-mct-oil/

Here's a few studies that should reassure you-

Marijuana Use and Its Effects in Pregnancy. (abst – 2016) Marijuana use and its effects in pregnancy - PubMed

“In our initial cohort analysis, after controlling for potential confounders, while marijuana exposure alone was not associated with significant perinatal adverse outcomes, co-use with cigarette smoking rendered increased risk over either alone.” (So quit the tobacco if you use it!)

Maternal smoking and cannabis use during pregnancy and infant outcomes.
    (UK) (full – 2020) Maternal smoking and cannabis use during pregnancy and infant outcomes

"Conclusions: The results of this study suggest that the use of cannabis during pregnancy was not associated with increased risk of perinatal mortality or morbidity in this sample. However, frequent and regular use of cannabis throughout pregnancy may be associated with small but statistically detectable decrements in birthweight."

This next study is from 1997, but it is a real mind-blower!

Mortality Within the First 2 Years in Infants Exposed to Cocaine, Opiate, or Cannabinoid During Gestation
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.o...&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=640&resourcetype=HWCIT

“Within the first 2 years of life, 44 infants died: 26 were drug negative (15.7 deaths per 1000 live births) and 18 were drug positive (13.7 deaths per 1000 live births). The mortality rate among cocaine, opiate, or cannabinoid positive infants were 17.7, 18.4, and 8.9 per 1000 live births, respectively.”

Allow me make those statistics even clearer, so there is absolutely no confusion-

No drugs at all babies- 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

Cocaine-exposed babies – 17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

Opiate-exposed babies – 18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

Cannabis-exposed babies- 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births

So the "cannabis exposed" babies had the lowest rate of deaths- even lower than the "no drugs" babies! :yay:

And one more "oldie" that is a classic study on the longer-term effects of cannabis during pregnancy on the children.

Five-year follow-up of rural Jamaican children whose mothers used marijuana during pregnancy.

(USA) (full – 1991) Five-year Follow-up of Rural Jamaican Children whose Mothers used Marijuana during Pregnancy

"The results show no significant differences in developmental testing outcomes between children of marijuana-using and non-using mothers except at 30 days of age when the babies of users had more favorable scores on two clusters of the Brazelton Scales: autonomic stability and reflexes."

Also, be sure to check out the reputation of any online CBD source! CBD is largely unregulated and there is a LOT of fraud going on! Some "CBD products" actually contain no CBD at all! Buy from a LEGAL dispensary if at all possible.

Study: Nearly 70% of online CBD marijuana extracts are mislabeled.

(news - 2017) Study: Nearly 70% of online CBD marijuana extracts are mislabeled

Medical Fraud, Mislabeling, Contamination: All Common in CBD Products

(USA) (full - 2020) Medical Fraud, Mislabeling, Contamination: All Common in CBD Products

A review of cannabidiol-containing electronic liquids—Current regulations and labelling accuracy.
    (UK) (full – 2021)
    Error - Cookies Turned Off

“Of 70 e-liquids, 77.1% of the e-liquids tested in the articles were found to have underestimated or overestimated the cannabidiol quantities stated in the product labelling.”

Hope this helps!

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Always @Storm Crow to stir up the Cannabis prohibition pot !!!! it needs stirring, is getting stale and stagnated ... Granny to the Rescue !!

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Marijuana will slow the baby's brain development. I don't think anybody has looked at how zolfran affects brain development - the physical side effects dominate. Best wishes.

17. did you research Dr Melanie Dreher research from the eighties ?

18. I'm no doctor but I have been a cancer patient and got lots of chemo,.,I smoked pot and never got sick.,
    I know dozens of people who's mom smoked while pregnant and they are all mostly healthy and happy.,
    I bet you'd find if you dug deep enough that 98% of the negative things published about the medical use of cannabis is published by the drug companies.,They know its useful but they cannot control the market on it.,.legal or not because it grows like a weed.,.thus they can't make a profit on it and it's losing them money.,and they would prefer it remain illegal and in the dark.,
    Have a few puffs dear.,It will do you and your baby a world of good.,

19. I knew a girl back in the late 1970s. Her younger sister and I were best friends. She got pregnant by her boyfriend and they got married. Her sister and I were out running around on New Year's Eve and we decided to visit her sister and brother-in-law at their apartment. She was 5 months along. When we got there, it was about 10:30 pm and she was playing records. She told me that she had been smoking pot since 6 pm that evening and wasn't "messed up" although she didn't use the word messed. Her eyes were so dilated that I couldn't see what color her eyes were. I didn't think anything about it until a month later she went into premature labor and had her baby 3 months early. The baby stayed in a NICU for three months in a Louisville hospital. Back then they didn't test the mothers for drug use. I don't know if it was the cannabis that did it or just plain bad luck. But if you are determined to try to control your morning sickness, please use it very sparingly. Because there are no studies on the effects of pregnancy that cannabis has.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Grasscity Forum mobile app