Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is the best way to make cannabutter (And why?)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by GiggleBlizzard, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Anyone here know anything about the underlying workings of how the cannabis is induced into the fats? I've made a few batches pretty successfully on the stove top using just decarboxilating in the oven first and then letting it simmer in butter and water for 1-2 hours while stirring every now and then.

I've googled around for other methods in order to better understand what I'm actually doing and how to do it better but here's the deal; some recipes say you should let it simmer for 24 hours, some for 4, some for 1, some for 20 minutes, etc and they all have comments of people saying that it works and got them super high or whatever. There have even been people saying you can just microwave the butter and then put in the weed, but if that's the case then what's the point of doing a low simmer for hours on the stovetop?

How long should I actually let it simmer for? I imagine that you'd need atleast a minimum amount of time and that it'll grow more potent the longer you leave it, but at what point has it reached it's full potency? Is it possible to leave it for too long and ruin it?

Also would putting it in the oven work better since it's easier to keep a specific temperature and to do so consistently over a period of time, and if so what temperature would be optimal?

These are questions I cannot find the answers too online because literally everybody says something different and they never back up what they're saying so I can't make any judgement on who to listen to.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

Hit up Sams thread dude if anyone will know it's him, he's like the edible guru here on GC:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hey, thanks buddy, I will do!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Once decarbed (240 F for 40 min works well), the herb is as potent as it will ever be, and any additional processing can degrade thc.
    See https://ardentcannabis.com/decarboxylation-myths/
    But the herb won't be as digestible as it could be, so some additional cooking is needed.
    Establishing an optimal time and temp for best effectiveness of the cooking is difficult, but BrassNwood's method for oil is excellent. It includes two 20 min cooks @ 220 F, with a freezing in between them.

Strained oil/butter is only 20-70% efficient, but not straining is 100%.
    Not straining is what I prefer, but herb does bother some stomachs.
    Here's an excerpt of a potency opinion from Dosing Homemade Cannabis Edibles: Why It’s Nearly Impossible to Calculate Potency | Leafly
    "Lena Davidson of Botanica, one of Washington state’s largest edibles producers, puts the estimate even lower, at close to 30 percent."

Ardent Cannabis (cited above) claims that they've made strained oil infusions that are 80% efficient.

• Like Like x 4

5. Point 1. Coconut oil is the top choice in Carrier Oil.
    Why ? it needs no stomach bile to begin digestion as it partially bypassed the stomach and goes directly through the portal vein.
    It also has a much longer room temp storage ability. Will not go rancid over time like butter will, Won't mold at room temps like butter can and will. Has no water % at all unlike butter that is some 7% water to start with.

Point 2. Water.
    NO, Never. Nada, That old chestnut about it drawing off the bad taste is crap. Al lit does is restrict the actual extraction and gives an extra step of separating the water.

Pont 3. Time
    The less time you process the blended decarbed weed and oil the more upbeat the high will be. Long processing means SLEEP. I want to enjoy my high not sleep through it.

Point 4. Method
    Stovetop, Oven or Crockpot
    I use an oven as the temps are far more stable and controllable.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    The base thread I did my work from. She did most of the pioneering work I just stripped it down as far as possible for my own medication needs.
    Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture
    How I make the dry ice kief-hash
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    Turning that kief into very high strength Coconut oil-Hash Capsules.

Three rounds of major colon surgery left me a mass of twisted scar tissue that causes me constant pain that Cannabis in high doses will ease.
    That was back in 2011 and I've worked on fine tuning my oral meds since 2013.
    This works, Is hard to fuck up. Hits like a sledgehammer on everybody that tries it.

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes. If weed grind to dust after the decarb
    5 grams hash, weed, shatter, wax, reclaim,
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil (any cooking oil works)
    .5 teaspoon Lecithin (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (optional can skip if no freeze was used)
    Done
    Fills about 30 (0) sized capsules @ 100-150 mg each.
    30-50mg each if using weed.
    Thin as needed for ultra low dose users with additional Coconut oil. This I must do for users like my wife as she only needs 3-5mg.

I take this every day to keep my medical issue under control and have for years now. Ask someone who lives on it daily and not a handful of recreational users.

To make it a better sleep aid and take the edge off add more heat and freeze cycling. 4 or more will change it from an upbeat gotta get up and go high to Ohh man I need a nap.

[​IMG]

Can add that finished tablespoon of canna oil to the oil called for in any baked good and blend well then cook normally.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. If you decarb first then I'd suggest no more than 2 hours for cooking it. If not then about 12 hours at low heat whether stovetop, oven or crockpot. As Brass said, the longer you go the more sedative it becomes. You can't get butter hot enough to do it quicker and keep it's culinary appeal. Oils you can decarb a lot easier and faster after extraction than you can butter because they can get hotter. Whether stovetop, crockpot or oven, don't go over 200°F. Butter burns around 225°. 220°F should be good for oil. Higher temperatures will degrade the THC quicker.

Because there are so many variables to what you find on the web, you should stick to a method that you have personally used and like. Familiarity and satisfaction and consistency are important and there's really only so much you can do to it, anyway. There may be a difference in taste and other esthetic/cosmetic differences but as long as you know the basics, it's pretty easy.

You can "ruin" it, I suppose, but that means that you've degraded it to mostly CBN which is what makes it sedative. The oven is a good way to avoid that because it's more controlled as long as you use a thermometer.

But really, use your own judgement. When I started I tried googling about it and really got nowhere. I tried a couple of things but mostly I got frustrated with all the uncertainty. So I just started putting together my own method, picking and choosing things that made the most sense, usually the back pages and rolled them together and I've been quite pleased with the results. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Question? Does it matter if I don’t have a Gallbladder? They produce bile. I mean for proper break down of edibles

8. It does matter as it'll change your oil selection. Coconut oil should be your first choice as it doesn't need any bile to start digestion. As far as I know it is unique in that aspect.
    Animal fats and most vegetable base oils need stomach acid AKA bile to begin breakdown.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thank you. The last batch of Canna shortening I made turned out nice and strong, so the cookies I baked..get ya BAKED;) sorry couldn’t help myself. I do notice my high from edibles last about 3 hours..could the shorter high have anything to do with no Gallbladder?