What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Derk M, Oct 31, 2017.

1. so, I finally got into hydroponic growing and my first seed was the opposite of a success. I germinated it until the root got to a little over an inch long, which is when I planted it directly into hydrostone. I didn't have a seed starter so I just went for it and put it in the media. However, after 10-12 days it went from green and healthy looking to black and dying. The roots are still growing but it won't grow past the net pot. I added a light amount of fertilizer specifically for seedlings when it started to look dying and it didn't help.

1. Is there any chance of saving the seed?
    2. Is it possible to overwater? I had my netpot about an inch in the water with no nutrients when it started to wilt and die. I started to change the level of water but nothing has worked. About how deep should the net pot be? Should the roots be submerged in the water?
    3. I have 6.5 gallons of water with one plant (the dying one) with room to expand. I have one air pump with a 3 inch air stone. How important is it that the air stone is directly under the roots? Mine is over a little bit because of the tubing and I didn't tie it down. Is that still sufficient? Or will repositioning it over help at all?

I'm very interested and not ready to give up, so any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0089.PNG
    IMG_0091.JPG

2. yeah bud its fucked, sorry. next time you should start the seed in something more gentle like a rapid rooter or rockwool cube, then put it into growstone or whatever medium after its got some roots established.

your airstone doesnt matter if its directly under the roots or not

your supposed to transplant your germinated seed as soon a the shell cracks. by letting it grow and throwing it into little rocks is pretty rough on the delicate little seedling.

if your going with dwc leave the netpot half an inch above the water and water by hand multiple times a day until the roots hit the water then fill your resevoir and put your air stone in .

if i were you just starting out id go by some soil from a hydroponic store - they treat the soil for bugs and spores.
    mix it with some perlite and start by trying to get the plant to actually make it to harvest.

then start expirimenting with hydro down the road. there are a ton of factors and if you dont know the basics then your only going to be chasing problems from the get go.

i wish you luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. You can do DWC you just have to do your research. As previously stated use a rapid rooter, peat pellet or rockwool cube. And lightly top feed with water intill the roots hit the water. Then res temps will be your biggest issue.
    Take a step back. Do some reading, buy the little things like peat pellets (my personal fav), and give it another go. Peat pellet with a humitiy dome would be a good but very cheap investment (got mine from the dollar store).

400w hid 5G DWC coco Berry Bomb first indoor grow