Watering Fabric pots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NoleBudz, Jul 25, 2017.

1. I recently switched over from plastic to fabric pots to grow out of. My only problem so far is the bottom gets and seems to stay really wet afterwards. I need to find something to sit them in to avoid my floor getting wet and to get them back under lights asap. So my question is 2 part, 1. should I use something like a grate to sit them on for air flow or is air flow under not needed? 2. If I sit them in a "tray" will the drained water be sucked back up into the plant? Lastly a extension of 2, if the drainage will get sucked back into pot can I just water from the bottom by pouring the water into tray or tub or is it more beneficial to water from top?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good question

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have seen some say air flow under is important as it seems the biggest thing with fabric over plastic is root growth or how they grow by pruning themselves. I have also seen other places where folks are starting to water from the bottom only using fabric pots. It stands to reason they would act like a wick but im concerned that if they just sit in water too long it will cause issues.

4. So don't think you need airflow on the bottom. You get plenty of air thru the soil from the top and sides. I grow in plastic pots. No airflow thru those. And all is fine.
    Yes you should use some sort of saucer if you're inside. You should have runoff every watering/feeding so you can check your runoff. 10-20% runoff. With no saucer your floor would be soaked and you'd have nothing to check for your runoff.
    And lastly I don't think it matters at all if your feeding from below or above. As long as you are feeding properly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thinking of getting fabric pots. Happy you're asking these questions

• Like Like x 1
  6. I am in a very hot time of year so that was part of the reason for the change over so roots could stay cooler with more air flow. Also I try not to get above 3-4 gallon containers and these seem the best for that as the roots should grow in a more healthier manor and less likely to bind. I will go pick up some saucers today or at least by Thursday and I will try watering one from bottom and post results a few days later....just not sure which plant i want to be the test dummy lol

7. I been using fabric pots lately, I actually like to set mine in saucers filled with perlite, there are some great threads on swic/sips here on the city, there are some methods that go along with the grow styles though,
    I ran it with synthetic nutrients with great results, and am running it full organic on the next go
    As for your question
    Before I ran this style, I would put the fab pots in saucers with something inside the saucer to keep the bottom of the pots from staying wet, and to keep the nutrient water from sucking back into the pot, which does tent to cause issues

Booms summer scrog series:)

Boom4200 winter spring SUMMER grow journal

• Like Like x 2
  8. So your saying don't allow run off to be sucked back in? Does that mean I shouldn't water from bottom as well? Lastly what did you use to put in the saucers to achieve this?

• Like Like x 3
  9. I like that set up, what ever I put under them can't be too tall though. What is that you are using?

10. Its just a crib gate found in my local garbage room, sanitized and put it in my room. Sits on bricks, 6 inches from ground. I used those disposal cheap paint trays from Walmart as pans. [​IMG][​IMG]

My current 6 Jock Horror Autos, coco coir grow. :gc_rocks:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Get flower pot trays and put the fabric pots in it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I simply put a drain tray under mine. The bottom of the pot stays wet for about a week, but dries out as long as it's not sitting in water. Hasn't caused any problems for me as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  13. When I would water in nutrients I would not allow runoff, but at the same time I would always keep some plain ph'd water in the perlite, like an inch below the top of the perlite
    We may be talking about 2 different things.
    Also, I'm prolly not the one to take advice from, I'm pretty new at indoor, and even newer at fabric pots, just some stuff that I picked up along the way for me that worked ok
    I was always told to not feed from the bottom, only from the top,
    As far as watering from the bottom, I can't speak too much on that ,the only thing that I know how to do with watering from the bottom is sips
    Hell, I'm confusing myself

14. I recently did the same.I found a thin clear plastic catcher for mine..actually i ended up puttting them in side,under the soil cuz they where a lil small on the outside...mine is bice and wet on the bottom and dry ontop..i got a great feeling about it..my plants seem happy.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. Found them at wally world for like a buck and some change a piece..mine are five gallon pots

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Please do not water from the bottom. Reasons is your salt content will build in your medium specifically if you are using tap water or adding nutrients.

My current 6 Jock Horror Autos, coco coir grow. :gc_rocks:

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm only on my first run but I have 7 gallon fabric pots. At first I had them just In Large saucers and emptied the runoff by hand. But I scrog'd mine and reading online got me worried about mold issues as the bottoms would never dry out. I cut up 4" beams (my trays were 3" high) and just put a wire rack under each. I think you need some under there.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Just water when they are sitting right in the tray seems like problems, but if you have a bufferie, perlite, lava rock etc, watering from the bottom has worked well for me, not feeding from the bottom, that just seems like problems

• Like Like x 1