Top/trained VS "untouched"

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Kronik352, Oct 20, 2016.

1. #1 Kronik352, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Hey all....I know this isn't an advanced technique but I figured it might go "ok" on here............

I have been reading all about growing autos and whether to top them or train them or not....I just harvested my first ever grow....which was an auto. I didn't do much to her in means of training and what have you.....I did start to train and bend stems several times a day...everyday..until they started to grow how I wanted....and towards the end of her life I started to do quite a bit of pruning to get some light through. Like I said, she is hanging now...and I am happy and proud with her.....but now I am on my second round of growing....and those "to or not to" feelings kept grabbing at me...

So I have started a little experiment FOR MYSELF that I figured I would post on here for anyone who is interesed. Both seeds are Sour Diesel Auto Fem from MSNL......both planted in the pame type pot with same grow medium. When I mix feedings for them, I do so in one big glass bowl....so they get the same water every feeding....they are both under the same Mars Hydro Reflector 96 light with 204 true watts.....the only difference is I am letting one "do its thing" with nature....OCCASIONALY moving a leaf or two out of the way for better penetration.....and the other I have already topped her and done some "intensive" LSTing with tying down branches....as well as some decent amount of pruning.

The one on the left is "al natural" the one on the right is training/topped......i might add the other side of the trained one looks just like the side you can see in the picture.

I will update every few days with pictures and info.

THIS PIC IS DAY 32

Attached Files:

• SD.jpg
      SD.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 MB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. I also want to add that since seedlings....I have regularly and simultaneously turned and switched these plants.....by that I mean that, now not necessarily at set points throughout the day, I have rotated the plants under the lights....anywere from a quarter to half turn every so often.....at least once a day but no more than 3. When I do this I do it to both plants at the same time...the same amount of rotation. Not only do I do that....but I also, seemingly once every 48 hours, switch the plants positions....meaning I put the plant on the left where the plant on the right is at....and vice versa. Just trying to even the playing field as much as possible....as I TRULY AM interested as to what happens

3. These are some somewhat spread out...time wise.......pics of them so far.....some of these pics have a third....taller plant in the pic...disregard that plant as it isn't part of this...I have since transplanted and moved to a different light.

Attached Files:

4. Here are 3 more pics of them today...day 34

Attached Files:

5. Two plants isn't much of a comparison to base any real facts on .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh i know....but i was growing them already and wanted to try it out

7. I think this is a great test. That other guy is dumb in the head, a side by side comparison with 2 plants will defiantly show great results and facts. Interested in how everything turns out!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yeah, it will do its intended purpose FOR ME....I was just curious as to WHAT WOULD happen if......

I will keep this regularly updated for anyone who cares. I am doing it FOR ME.....but figured Id post for others as well.

• Like Like x 4
  9. [​IMG]

I like the way you think. I'm doing something similar with my first autos. I have 4 growing and all are getting LSTd, but one was topped. Unfortunately, right now it's the smallest one. I'll look forward to seeing your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  10. As well as me with your results.....my topped one LOOKS the least "producible" as well.........but we will see...

I just HAD to do something similar to this JUST TO SEE for MYSELF... haha

Can't hurt "just to see" ""other than better yields"" but WHO CARES ABOUT YIELDS???? I know I don't LMAO!!!!

For real though...I HAD TO try something similar

• Like Like x 1
  11. I also like your sig charlie...."for real dough" I.........ME.................MYSELF.........seem to relate quite well to it

• Like Like x 1
  12. Even though "he"..........up until this point in our history........................ hasnt MADE ME (regarding both "he" and "has made me").........................................YET :passing-joint:

13. If you like the sig you should read the essay it's from. It's one of my all time favorite pieces of literature. No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority
    It's here in print and audio format.

White Widow autoflower x4

• Like Like x 1
  14. That trained one is starting to throw out alot of flowers....we will see how she grows now during her "primetime" growing....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Few more pics......day 38.

Attached Files:

16. I dont have anymote recent pics but those above were from yesterday so...

They look good....too small pf a pit IMO, but are growing well!

I have to admit the "untouched" one looks ALOT better.....at least in person....than the topped and trained one.....butJIST LOOKING at bid content on both....i cant really say there is a DEFINITE "winner" yet....but if i had to guess.....the untouxhed one MIGHT weigh in more.......at thos point in their life

• Like Like x 1
  17. Here are a few more pics...at this point you can easily tell which is which...mthese pics are from today...day 42.

Ill take some white light pics late tonight when lights kick on or tomorrow sometime.

Attached Files:

18. #18 FuZzYBuDs, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  19. No fuzzybuds, no future plans for anymore side by side growing for comparison. Just had these going and the "to top and train moderately hard" or not to.......so i did both. I know this is only 1 plant done each way...and both plants are Sour Diesel Auto Fem...so I know this is by no means a mass test on hundreds of plants and strains...but its a good enough of a comparison FOR ME...and IT WILL factor into my decision on whether or not I top/train my future autoflowers or not and ESPECIALLY whether or not I do it to this same strain on future grows.

White light pics coming within a few hours. :D

20. Ok, here are some more pics in better light. These are from day 43.

Attached Files: