Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Timed Release Device to Assist Dosage?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ljgrasson, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Hi,

My spouse needs cannabis for medicinal use, to treat Crohn's disease. However, he also likes to smoke it recreationally. Neither of these would be a problem, except that he has an addictive personality, which has led him to substance abuse in the past. He has been undergoing therapy for over a year and has successfully recovered from alcohol and drug abuse, but he still has a hard time limiting his cannabis intake. We do not have the budget to accommodate both the weed he needs to feel ok and get through his day AND the weed smokes recreationally - the latter is way too high an amount. Furthermore, his boss is okay with him using cannabis to treat symptoms, but does not want the smoke around the workplace.

A solution to this would be for him to have an appropriate dose in edible form reserved for him every day, so that he could be sure to have what he needs to manage pain and gastrointestinal discomfort at work. He has tried on his own many times, without the help of a device, but he ends up eating his doses after work and when he is already high and feeling okay... just because its there and he cant resist. He is just wont to take more than he needs, convinces himself its not a big deal, and ends up without any weed at all and in pain/unable to work for a few days before he can buy more. I constantly remind him that a little conservation goes a long way, and he agrees, but it's just not working.

I wish there were some kind of timed dispenser that would hold a stock of medical-grade, low THC edibles (gummies, or something) and release one or two twice a day. Is there such a thing? I looked a pill dispensers used for the elderly and class II narcotics, but they were SUPER expensive and only worked with pills. I'm looking for one that was specifically designed for cannabis users, if possible.I think a timed -release device would help him learn to resist urges and show him, for the first time, the sense of ease that comes with knowing that you wont be completely out of medicine in a few days. I also think it would improve his worklife greatly, as well as help us budget! Extra medicine is an extra cost we cant always afford, as much as we want to.

Any leads on finding an appropriate device are much appreciated. General advice is welcome too, but trust that we've most likely heard it and have tried it or are actively implementing it already.

Thank you!

2. Do you have a watch and a lockable container?

:smoke:

3. I don't know of anything like that that exists in the real world. Can you not just dose it out to him? MJ has never proven to be physical addictive like other drugs are, so I wouldn't worry about that part of it. If you don't have it you "really want some," but it's not like you get leg cramps, stomach cramps, etc., you do with other drugs and stopping them cold turkey. Sounds like he needs to learn to exhibit some self control if he doesn't want so suffer by running out and that's a decision and effort that only he can make. You can't help somebody who is unwilling to help themselves....and please don't take that as a snarky remark because it's not meant that way. So glad that it does help his Crohn's disease. I had a dear friend die years ago....like in the 70's, when she was 29 because the disease wasn't studied like it has been today and treatments were limited. I watched her suffer for years with it and steroids and diet were their only remedies at the time. This stuff should have been allowed to be studied medically decades ago because there are more healing and treatment opportunities in this plant than in most of the drugs they spend BILLIONS to develop....and MJ is natural. Best wishes. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  4. there are time release cannabis patches in legal States... Also, have you or him tried a vaporizer instead of smoking.... a vaporizer helps me conserve so much weed compared to lighting it up... you can microdose with a vape too to alleviate symptoms and micro dose to keep the active cannabis compounds working... the vape high too lasts much longer than smoking too for me anyway...
    2 many too's too

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you utilize a dispensary for the meds or make them or both? Cutting the costs by making them yourself is the route I'd recommend, if you cannot maybe find a friendly helper person who is interested in learning?

6. I also commend you on what you are doing, your mentality towards finding a way for your significant other. It is very big. I sometimes have to take upwards of 6 50mg capsules a day. It can be tough rationing them out.

I finally feel myself like I am able to get a handle on my use and as my life gets back on track, I must acknowledge the work done in-between or else I wouldn't be here. So keep on, him too!

There ARE some products that are like locked pill canisters that can be locked and unlocked on a time schedule, unfortunately from my perspective, they are all defeatable! Not actually on the market yet as well, I believe the one I saw was an indie funded thing.

Patches? More for the meantime? Growing or a symbiotic relationship with a grower?

• Like Like x 1
  7. @ljgrasson
    A good locked container that is hard to beat like a gun locker-pistol case are nearly impossible to get open without destroying the case. You'll need to be the time lock and ration his supplies if he really has no self control.
    I've got diverticulitis and know what he suffers all to well. You might try an edible approach to his medicating needs as it's takes less to do more and lasts way longer too.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    It's the same process just sub weed for hash.
    For medicating crohn's-diverticulitis Cannabis oil is best as it lasts 8 hours or more giving a full days relief from the initial morning dose for most users.
    Decarb weed = 240 F for 40 minutes
    Mix with equal amount of coconut oil
    Heat 220 F 20 min
    Freeze
    Reheat and test.
    Powder the weed and don't try and strain it after processing. He'll get used to the slight graininess.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  8. I can definitely second BnWood's science! I was drawn to it to treat the evil within my GI and my life has changed so much for the better. Still working towards the brighter future but 80% me again after years of on then off then COMING off other meds.

I am glad my SO is fine with me utilizing cannabis, it's all I want anyways ;)

• Like Like x 1