Starting my first grow - would like criticism and advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SFL22, Feb 21, 2017.

1. I've got two seeds germinating in water right now, and would like some help making sure I'm not missing anything or doing my plants any harm. I've spent quite a while reading up on this site but now that I'm about to start growing I figured i'd better make an account and get some much needed advice.

Fox farm Ocean Forest Soil/ 3 Pack Nutes/ Organic Perlite
    3x3x5ft Grow tent
    2 Monkey Fans
    300 Watt Platinum LED
    Light Timer ready for an 18/6 schedule
    4 Inch CFM Inline Exhaust Fan with a carbon air filter
    3x3x2ft Scrog Net
    Hygrometer
    Ph Test Kit

As far as I know, the process isn't too crazy. But I may be oversimplifying it or missing stuff. Also, there is so much conflicting information online that this is just a culmination of what seems to be the most generally agreed upon info, I'm more asking if this is the correct process rather than stating that it is or is not. This is purely on a "to my knowledge" level of an idiot newbie.

-Prepare PH appropriate water, 6.2-6.8.
    -Let the seeds sit in the water until the root shows. Don't damage root, don't touch seed with bare hands.
    -Mix Perlite and Soil for breathability and water retention.
    -Place seed in soil in a knuckle deep hole. I'm using red solo cups. Gently cover the hole with soil. (lots of debate over the orientation of the planted seed from what appears online) Make sure cups/pots have proper drainage
    -Lightly water with PH of 6.2-6.8 (let water set out to get rid of chlorine?) Water when top half inch of soil is dry, water till 20-30% run off. Usually every 2-3 days?
    -Turn light schedule of 18/6 on either as soon as you plant the seed or when seedling breaches soil. Keep light far enough away to not burn plant, but as close as possible otherwise?
    -Keep temperature between 70-80/Humidity between 45-65% Don't let temp fluctuate more than 10 degrees
    -Keep fresh air flow, I'm using an exhaust fan to pull out air and control humidity, and 2 monkey fans inside blowing upwards from under the plants.
    -When the roots fill out the cup, transplant the seedling into a larger pot.
    -Add nutes after 14 or so days (when third leaves appear) with every other watering, starting at 1/4th recommended nutes working up into full dose.
    -Keep alive until flowering?
    -Switch light schedule for flowering 12/12 Temp to 65-75 Humidity <40%
    -Wait till flowering finishes then trim/cure

I feel like I'm on the right track, but I just want to make sure I don't kill my girls before I can even smoke them. What are some things I can improve on or flaws you can see here that I should avoid?
    I appreciate the help guys, it's my first time using a forum so please forgive me if I'm breaking any rules. I'll change anything I need to.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Here's a photo of my setup so far, the exhaust is attached to the hole at the back, I've got a control on it set to run 24/7 on low, as well as the bottom monkey fan set to low 24/7. Temp naturally is between 68-78 and humidity is sitting around 60%
    The LED is set up to raise or lower depending on the plant height. Ignore my crappy attempt at building a scrog.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. It's not contradicting stuff that you are reading, but rather it's just different ways to achieve same goal.{Create a thread and ask 'should I defoliate? Lmao, you'll see }

For instance you are popping seeds in water. I use paper towel. I've always used the paper towel method and never had any problems.

Just cause you touch a root doesn't mean you will kill it. It's just that the tap root(what pops out it the seed) is very important. Break that root and it'll most likely die.

I've never used 18/6. Ever lol. It's 24/0 or 12/12 for me.

It would seem you've done everything right.

Just don't over love them.
    I think everyone would agree that that is the biggest issue with new growers...hell, I killed 80$ worth of seeds on my 2nd attempt. All cause I kept fucking with them. In the end it was me overwatering that did em in.

You got this bro. Just remember they are weeds.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Just to touch base on the nutrients, I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest as well, and the soil feeds the plant for 3-4 weeks so be careful feeding it to early....I use Alaska Fish Fertilizer through the veg stage (after 14 days) because it's almost impossible to burn ur plants with that...but u seem to have a good setup for starting off....now it's just gonna be a matter of trial and error....read the forums and ask questions ....good luck

• Like Like x 2
  5. From what I've read is that fox farm is too hot for seedlings to start off in.

Seed orientation the pointy tip down that's where the root comes out.

Solo cup at best you have about 2 weeks before the roots start to get bound up. You can always cut a slit onnthe side and veiw inside without root harm

Watering put in till you get run off. And let dry until the cup or pot is light.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm on my first grow now. (Check it out) and from my understating that's a good process.. actually the same I'm doing except giving it nutes that early. I'm just gonna wait and see how growth goes and add it from there. Hope to see you posting a journal soon!

• Like Like x 2
  7. I did my first grow with a p600 in a 2'*42" closet. Check my journal out below. It might help since I did some similar things. Definitely start with your light about 40" above your cups. Not sure if the p300 has a separate veg and flower switch like mine but I went 18/6 for about 5-6 weeks then hit the flower switch also for my 12/12 switch.

check out my first grow/journal https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1423342/

• Like Like x 2
  8. That is looking nice for your first grow ! I'm sure you will do good .

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks man, I'll try and take it easy with them. I have a habit of smothering everything I try and grow lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. @thagr8127
    @reod12x2
    I'll keep that in mind, this is my first time hearing that fox farm has that issue.

11. I've also seen that said quite a bit. However, FFoF is the only soil I've ever used..and I've had no problems with it hurting seedlings but I realize this could be attributed to the strains I've used.

With my current grow, I have had problems with calcium deficiencies though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I suppose I have more reading to do, this whole hot soil and specific nutrient deficiency stuff is not something I'm as educated about as I should be.

13. its tough man. The amount of variables is so huge that you really gotta take people's feedback, advice, personal experiences in context.

I think after a while though, we each find our own "groove".

• Like Like x 3
  14. I believe it. Hopefully I'll be as good at this as SWIM is with mushrooms lol.

15. Here we are a few weeks later, one seems to be drooping a little bit. This happened right after a watering and they were getting too big for the humidity dome so I had to take them out.
    I'd imagine I just watered improperly?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1