Seedling not deep enough?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CthulhuDawn, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Whatsup GC,

I've got four seeds in the ground and one seedling coming up.

[​IMG]

I had to go out of town for a day and the didn't get any water and the soil seemed pretty dry. The seedling was drooping over and laying in the soil. It's all watered, but my question relates to planting. See the bottom of the seedling where it gets white? Is that because I didn't plant it deep enough and that is the beginning of the root? Hoping she starts standing tall again soon... getting some more CFLs on them tomorrow.

2. how far away is your light and what kind of light are you using?

3. Right now it's a single 27W 1715 lumen 6400K bulb at about four inches. Tomorrow I will be taking out this lamp (inefficient use of space--it's huge) and adding in four 26W 6500Ks.

4. sees aren't supposed to be planted deep learned from a organic gardening book thata seed need be no deeper than the seeds width under the soil so not deep at all just under the surface basically. I got all my seeds to pop in 1-2 days doing it that way.

5. Alrighty, so the plant that has come up looks to be better after being watered, and it's standing up on its own now. No sign of the other three yet. Is it stretching? If it is, is it because it doesn't have enough light from that single 27W and it's not close enough? I should have 100W on it by the end of the day at a better distance.

Also, how often should I be checking for dryness and watering.

Thanks! :hello:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hm... okay, but since they are already planted you think they will come up and just take longer? They germinated fine.

Would it help if I sprayed some water over 'em and then covered with saran wrap to create humidity?

7. #7 Mr. Stinky, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    lower the light an inch or so directly over the one growing. not too close as aeven a cfl will burn if its too close... im having that trouble right now. thot id try them just over the seedlings instead of under the long tubes.... 3 of my little ones have brown burned spots from being about 1" from the lights... what is the temp in there. seeds dont like temps below 75

8. #8 smokyeyes, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2008
    ok get that light like right up on it like an inch away its pretty stretched how old is it? you should be checkin once a day but i usally water every couple days for seedling and for stuff in actuall pots once a week... rule of thumb is 100 watts per plant.. i would say either cover the stem with a lil bit of dirt for support or use like a tooth pick, or a straw spliced down the middle i planted a plant to deep and had to dig it out the tap root was already like 2 inches how many days has it been and soil looks damp but you could give it like a shot of water and did you water soil befor you planted... oh and regarding to above a good sign for cold temp is turning purple... some one correct me if im wrong

9. Just checked the hygrometer. 75 F and 69& humidity. Should get a little higher when I throw in more lights later today.

Lets see.. I started germinating these four seeds last Sunday. Put the germed seeds in dirt on Wednesday. I didn't pre-water the soil (it felt pretty moist), but I watered it after I put the sprouts in the ground.

10. I went out today and got everything I needed to put real lights in the box. I put some more soil on the one sprout and I think it's looking good. Now I have 3 sprouts and still waiting on the last one. Kinda hope it doesn't come up so I don't have to get too too many more lights. Gonna order 2 42W this week.

Journal soon! :hello:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. #11 smokyeyes, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2008
    i still think you need to get those lights closer... so coverin up the stem a lil bit worked...number 4 will come up soon dont worrie to much...check out my new grow its la con just a few days old

12. Get a ruler man, first you said they were 4 inches away, while the pictures showed more like 12 inches...

Position the lights 1-2 inches from the TOP of your plants.

You should get a small computer fan to blow on your plants, that will help get a healthy thick stem.

13. I dont know about 12, but yea they are still too far away, and a fan is a must if you dont want to have to support them throughout the grow.

14. and you would have better results if you had reflectors on the lights. most of the available light is bouncing around in the cab instead of being directed to the plants. floro light gets very weak after just a few inches, so if it has to travel all the way to the top then off the side before your plant gets it, its not helping much.

i dont really like cfl's for this reason. they are too weak to have any further than about 3 inches, but too hot to be less than 1 to 1 1/2 inches away...its just a very slim margin of usefulness.

get a fan and some sort of reflector on the lights, and put them at 1.5" from the top of the leaves so you can get something out of your lights:wave:

15. I don't know. My 6 CFL lights (total 154 Watts) are 36" above the bottom of my growbox so that would put them at least 24-30" above the top of the soil. My plants grow great...tight internodes, excellent color and vigor.

16. Alright, I'll move them closer and then post more pics.

As far as the fan--surprisingly that's the only thing I couldn't find. Because it's cold now walmart nor home depot had cheap fans. So I guess I'm gonna go get a couple computer fans and find a guide to wire it up.

As far as reflectors go, is there any good DIY to make a good reflector for this set up?

17. Yeah I moved them closer, but I don't notice the stretching like it was doing before, so I think they're happy. Also, I really don't think I need reflectors. One of my biggest reasons for getting a homebox was because of the reflectivity.

18. Try looking for a computer fan, you can find some online too, they are great for starting plants.

19. #19 smokyeyes, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
    sounds like your getting on the right track good luck ill be watchin and tryin to help as much as i can... *takes hit* lifes good