CthulhuDawn's First Grow: Closet, CFL, Soil, Homebox, Bagseed--PICS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by CthulhuDawn, Dec 1, 2008.

1. #1 CthulhuDawn, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
    Alright GC, here we go!

I put some bagseed of unknown origin (not even mine originally) under the paper towels on 11/23/08, so a week from today. On the following Wednesday 11/26/08 I planted four of the seeds in 4" clay pots with Miracle Grow Seed Starting soil and watered with tap water that had sat out for a few days. For a while they were under a single 27W CFL, but now they are under 4 26W CFLs @ 6500K bulbs though I plan to get more soon. As of now I have no ventilation or definite plan for nutrients. They have been watered most every day since they've been put in the dirt.

Security is a must. I live in an apartment and only one of my roommates knows about this. I've been careful about snaking wires under the carpet from outside my closet and I also put a keyed lock on the closet door.

Like I said, Security.
    2.jpg

Outside of the Box & hole for future ventilation.
    3.jpg

Now, three have come up, but only the front two are worth a look so far.
    7.jpg

8.jpg
    My thermometer/hygrometer when I opened the box up to take these pics.
    9.jpg

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      112.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      172.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      142.2 KB
      Views:
  2. These are duct fans, but you don't have a duct, and they usually don't come pre-wired.

I got these (or similar) for my box (coolerguys.com/840556063766.html), you can have one of these for intake, one for exhaust, and a maybe a low speed or speed controlled one to blow directly on your plants.

Your setup looks nice now, good distance from the light.

3. #4 CthulhuDawn, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
    My original plan was to buy ducting and run it through the top for exhaust and then follow nugglord's DIY (http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...cheap-easy-efficient-diy-carbon-scrubber.html) for a carbon scrubber on the outside.

1) If they don't come pre-wired though is there an easy way to get them adapted to regular plugs?

2) Will the 4" or 6" enough or overkill? How 'bout the noise? Can't say I've ever heard a duct fan.

Dope. I'm definitely gonna order one to blow on the plants. How loud are they?

4. How many holes do you have in your tent?
    The 50 CFM fan that you've linked will probably not be enough if you also wanna use a filter, you can try getting a quite one, probably 20 DB, depends on how quite you want it to be...

Those fans usually come with 2 wires sticking out, what I do is just get an extension cord, cut it to my desired length, and use a couple of electric caps to connect them.

5. There is a ~4" on the left side, as well as one on the back top right. Then, there is the ~6" hole at the very top. There are also 3 flaps that fold to keep light in/out, but also breathe and act as passive intakes.

How about the 6" 160CFM one? That would fit the hole in the top perfectly and then I should be able to duct it out into nugglord's DIY with a clamp of some sort.

Also, I ordered a 6" oscillating clip-on fan. I hope it gets here soon. I want strong stems!

6. Good luck with that, I would use the lowest hole for intake, and the one on the top for outtake.
    how stealth is it, is noise a big issue for you?

As for the stems, I have a 12V fan blowing on mine, and the stems are really thick...

7. Hey Man ...

Looks good ... But yeah get that fan on the go soon as ya can ...

Ya wanna try and run around 72-74 with the lights on ...

If ya can you will see it in your yield ...

Nice tent also ... Very clean ...

I'll be watching ....

Best Regards EazyGreen.....:D

8. #9 CthulhuDawn, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
    Yea the 6" oscilating fan should get here sometime this week and then I think this weekend I'm gonna go out see if I can get all the fans and ducting I need for exhaust and whatnot. It can wait till then right? Then I guess I'll be good on $$ until time to buy nutes, new lights, or build a carbon filter right? Shit's expensive!
    Thanks! :smoking:

9. #10 CthulhuDawn, Dec 2, 2008
    Day 5

Today is the fifth day since I put sprouts in the dirt, so it's day eight if you count when I started germinating. Seed 3 was looking pretty poor and seed 4 didn't take off at all so I tossed them in favor of focusing more light on my two healthy looking seedlings. I have two 65W 6500Ks coming in at some point this week that will bring me to 234W. I think when it comes time to flower I'm just going to buy six 42W ones.

12.jpg

Temps still a bit high I guess. Hoping I have this sorted by the end of the week.
    13.jpg

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      140 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      173.3 KB
      Views:
  10. Oh, and these plants are THIRSTY. I'm having to water them after doing the 2" finger test at least once a day--usually two or three. I guess I could be underwatering with my spray bottle, but I'm scared of overwatering.

11. looking good man.. im gonna watch this one !

12. Thanks! :hello: Looking forward to your big bang as well. :wave:

13. ill be sitting down for this grow for sure. nice setup and good luck:wave:

14. So when should I think about starting nutrients on these plants? I suppose when the time comes around I'll order one of those Fox Farm 3 pack liquid things.

15. You can start with a really low amount about a week after they started.
    If you have a PPM meter, I would do 100-150 ppm for the first week (second week since they started), and the week after take it up to 300.

At the beginning, it's better to give less than more...

16. I'm afraid I don't have a PPM meter or a pH meter. Nutrients really is what I know the least about. Could someone point me towards a good guide to help figure out my nute options? I just threw the Fox Farm name out there because I know they're good, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm a noob!

17. #18 CthulhuDawn, Dec 3, 2008
    One Week

MJ
    14.jpg

Wilbur
    15.jpg

This is officially the one week anniversary of the seeds going in the soil. One quesiton: When I water them, should I water until there is runoff coming out the bottom and then let it totally dry out until the next water? I have just been using a spray bottle to soak the tops every day.

Also, is it okay that I've been using tap water that's been in the bottle for a few days? I've seen others using distilled water, or pH balancing solutions and whatnot.

18. Don't let them completely dry out.
    Don't spray them with water, the drops can cause burns (they behave like a magnifying glass)
    When I grew in soil, I used tap water, and never really bothered with ph, depending on what nutes your are giving it, it may be an issue, so you could get a ph meter, but you could probably manage without one.

19. Makes sense... but then how do outdoor plants survive? What should I do then? It won't kill it to just pour in if I've got drain holes in the bottom?