SE Weekly Thread: SE is moving to Humboldt AND, should marijuana be illegal?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sir Elliot, May 26, 2010.

1. Blades,

For the next few weeks there will likely be no Weekly Thread. Sir Elliot is moving to Humboldt County to smoke some really good pot. And for graduate studies at HSU. But mostly to smoke some really good pot.

Infact, if you check my first post here at GrassCity... (here: http://forum.grasscity.com/general/460683-life-humboldt-state-looking-grad-schools.html ) you'll see this move was what started me posting here in the first place. A few people thought I was OSG at first, because I guess I registered and posted on the day he took his break from GC... which I've always found a bit funny. Seriously, that guy is like the Yoda of marijuana.

Needless to say, my internet access will likely be limited as I engage in a stupidly long cross country drive and get set up in Arcata.

I encourage others to make their own weekly threads in the mean time.

SO, this ought to be an interesting weekly thread to hold you blades over.

QUESTION:

SHOULD MARIJUANA BE ILLEGAL? IF SO, WHY? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

I'm serious about this. There are so many people in this forum that are pro-big-government controlling all different aspects of an individual's life, insisting that the government knows best, that the government knows what should and should not go into your body, that the government should make all your major decisions for you, etc.

Well, the government has decided that marijuana should be illegal. Obama even supports keeping it illegal. If you support big government, how can you possibly consume marijuana, after all, Obama and Nancy Pelosi have decided that it is bad for you and you need to go to jail if you use it. And they know best.

If you want the government out of your life when it comes to marijuana and all such related things, how on earth can you support a big government that is involved in all the other aspects of your life?

That ought to keep things interesting while I'm moving.

2. Of course marijuana should be legal. I think that their are some things that should be left for the government or a government created monopoly. But other than that government shouldn't interfere in peoples lives.

Now if i may ask you a question. How can you be against government controls, yet be pro-life. I would think someone who hates government controls would hate the government telling women what they can do with their bodies.

3. Like health care? "Sorry not healthy for you. Marijuana= banned."

As for the 2nd part, think really hard about that. You might be able to come up with an answer on your own.

Also, I fixed your post for you. Now think about the matter. Is there a large difference between government prohibiting murder and government prohibiting puffing on a joint?

4. Yes, marijuana should be illegal because I like the government and the government says the things are bad.

This thread is all kinds of retarded.

5. I actually don't support government run health care, so I guess we got that in common. I was responding to your question of how people could be for legalization and for government controls. The things I think they should control are roads, electricity, shit like that. Probably not very good writing on my part.

Also, I read over the second part, and all I could come up with was that you think It's morally wrong.

6. Sadly I can attest to this. One reason the politicians say we keep it illegal here is because we don't know how much it will cost the NHS (universal healthcare) to legalize.

7. #7 Perpetual Burn, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
    Of course cannabis should be legal. Possessing cannabis doesn't harm anyone and no one's got the right to tell anyone else what they can or can't put in their body.

Interestingly enough, you might find that people in Arcata may prefer to keep marijuana laws the way they are. I was in Arcata for about a week last year for "4-20 Fest." I talked to a few people about it, and considering growing and supplying bud is such a major part of the economy, they make greater profits because cannabis prices are driven up because it is illegal. But that is hardly a noble reason to outlaw marijuana.

Anyway, I am sure you will have a great time living in Arcata... though it is a very liberal "hippie" place, the people there are most chill.

Here's a little story I wrote about my visit to Arcata last year...
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general/141547-best-stoner-cities-2.html

Be sure to trip some shrooms at Redwood Park. I did. A friend of mine told me that Redwood Park is where they shot one of the scenes in Star Wars when they were on the hover bikes... where the ewoks live. I could have sworn some ewoks were watching me while I was tripping. :D

Good luck with your move and your studies. :)