Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pancreatic Cancer and Cannabis oil - My story

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by webbly, Apr 14, 2016.

1. My mum has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer, and for someone who has never taken drugs her whole life she came to me to ask about cannabis oil as a treatment. I am still skeptical about the results, I do not believe that it is a one stop cure for cancer. I do however believe it has medicinal value in treating chemotherapy side effects, helping with pain relief and most importantly stimulating appetite.

My mum has only recently been diagnosed. Her cancer is not operable despite the tumour on her last PET scan coming back at just over 2cm in size and hope of the whipple procedure taking place, but due to another growth being found on her lungs suggesting it has spread, surgery we are told its not a possibility. It is terminal, untreated they think she could die in 6 months, with the chemo it is most likely to be years. Quite how myself and my family, let alone my mother come to terms with that fact is yet to determined.

She has currently been on the oil for 3 weeks and this week started her chemo. As I stand I have nothing further to report on its effects on the cancer itself, and even if I did I couldn't say 100% that the oil is the reason for any possible tumour shrinkage due to the chemo also being given.

However here is my experience so far:

If you are making small batches like myself, using 1-2oz of bud, the solvent extraction alone is not enough to decarb the oil. I tested the first dose I made up and it had no effect what so ever on me suggesting the decarb process had not happened. Ive heard people claim they have lab results back showing good thc and cbd/cbn content in their oil from solvent extraction alone in a rice cooker, however this seems to be the case when large amounts are being made and the extraction taking place over many hours, on small batches the solvent will evaporate in less than 30 minutes, and it has never reached a temperature long enough or hot enough to be effective.

Putting the oil in the oven for a further 45-60 mins at 120C/240F certainly decarbs it just fine. I took a small dose myself and was surprised at just how potent it was!

I have had one batch catch on fire! I managed to put a wet cloth over it and salvage some of the oil, it had cooked down into a paste, but not all was lost, although I imagine some of the cannabinoids did get vaporized off, what was left was still quote potent.

Rick Simpson claims the dosage is 1ml of oil per day for 60 days (he claims a great deal though doesn't he). My mother can just about tolerate 0.25ml without feeling sick or having panic attacks. I have been reluctant to give her any higher doses and have since started diluting it with coconut oil and spacing it out throughout the day with higher doses at night. She can sometimes struggle even on these low doses, for someone with no experience whatsoever with cannabis, she is finding it difficult and unpleasant at times, often complaining of feeling dizzy or over sedated.

What I have seen so far though is that she is sleeping better and has complained far less about pain in her abdomen. The best thing for me however is to see her eating so well, she gets regular attacks of the munchies and often find her staring into the cupboard as we do stoned, not really sure what she wants to eat or why, but just feeling that need to eat something. That alone for me is the main reason I want to continue with the cannabis oil, as starvation will be the thing which kills her with pancreatic cancer.

The doctors here in the UK have advised she does not take the oil on chemo, they have however said they are researching the benefits of it and didn't dismiss it altogether, which surprised me as thats what I expected. She has decided to take the oil regardless. This does not concern me, I am more than aware that cannabis itself is harmless and interacts well with just about any drug i've mixed it with, except maybe alcohol, plus scientific research with cannabis and chemo has been taken place and documented since the 1970's with no cases I can find of it causing death or effecting the chemo itself. The real hurdle will come from the blood results and difficult questions from her oncology team.

Cannabis and cancer is a real debated subject right now and for those of us going through this painful experience I know we look for whatever hope we can. Right now i'm still not sold as I have stated that cannabis is a cure for cancer, until I see it myself how can I be? I would love to hear how others get on though, and will continue to update this thread over time.

Love and light my friends!

2. Sorry to hear that about your Mum. It sounds like you are on the right track.

I wish her the best, please keep us updated, and stay strong for her.

3. Thank you. I hope one day my experience can benefit someone else. I know how much time I've spent reading up on all this and how many scam stories get thrown into this mix which is a terrible thing

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Our family has been touched by this cancer as well and lost a very special person because of it. You sound like you know what you are doing. Keep at it no matter the outcome. If it's working even a little bit then it's a good thing. I for one am glad that folks like you are going against the grain to try something new. Chemo only slows this cancer down and surgery hardly ever works. We learned the hard way with a grand total of 15 hours worth of surgery and still never got the tumor. She later passed due to complications which came from the cancer not to mention that fact that it spread over a two year span. God bless you and all the hard work your putting into this. Don't ever worry what other people think. This is your family member and research like this will be the cause of ridding everyone from cancer all together in the future.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sorry for you loss dreaddinit. How long as it been since they passed?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Quick update:

Dosage is still proving an issue, because i'm having to make the oil in small batches, with different strains each time, its impossible to get a set dosage going. Last night she tried the new batch and it knocked her for six. She still wishes to continue however.

So far she has had no side effects from the chemo, she has now had 2 cycles. This may or may not be due to the oil. I will update later on results of any new scans

7. Sorry for you loss Dreaddinit.
    Webbly I am very curious as to how your mum is doing? I hope she is responding well to the treatment. My friend has just been diagnosed today, he is 39 and has 3 young children. To say we are all devastated would be an understatement. I am currently looking into any kind of treatment that would give him a quality of life and came across your thread. Any infor you have would be gratefully received

8. @Gracie76
    Not sure how active this thread is but here are a few that are very active.
    Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture
    I make and provided RSO (rick simpson oil) to a few cancer patients and can advise on how I made it.
    BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    Kats thread is good with lots of Info but she's not around much.
    Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it
    Sam's thread is very busy and you'll get an almost instant response.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi gracie76,

So sorry to hear about your friend. My father in law has been diagnosed with the same thing and i wanted to know oif your friend had any joy with the cannabis oil?

10. My mum passed October last year, two years after diagnosis. She took oil everyday until the end. Sadly, it did not cure the cancer. It helped her hold onto some weight and sleep better. It also helped with side effects from chemo.

Cannabis is not a miracle cancer cure, but during dark times sometimes we need to hold onto something to get us through