Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Hello Sam and co!

I actually did get my 190 proof green dragon solvent, strained and reduced. I have been enjoying said green dragon since, i havent posted my results!

So, 50 g's trim, and 7 gs flower ground and decarbed. Then cooled on a sheet tray in the freezer before hitting a frozen jar. (Frozen) Everclear poured until jar was full (extra ounce or two, filled to bottom of the neck and that covered herb by 1/4 inch in a 1qt). Set up my double boiler (elec stove, hood fan on, strong mini fan blowing across towards ooen window) and reduced about 2 cups down to 4 fl oz.

God damn.

My brother was here recently and as he said, "God damn that creeps up on you!" I'll be playing with this to make edibles in the future. I will do my best to document any and all attempts.

My plan for 1st attempt:

I made some peach/habanero bbq sauce recently. Can i dissolve x amount of doses into a few tablespoons of sauce, then heat gently to a simmer (alcohol will evap 1st, a true simmer would ensure alcohol evap=thc/cbd transfer?). From what I've read, i think it should work? Water content of sauce is high, but also oil/fat incorporated? High water base leaves me skeptical without a prior transfer to another medium for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I bet that did pack a bit of a punch, heh? It sounds like you've got the hang of it. Did you rinse it? If not then you can have a nice base to start your next one with.

As long as your sauce has oil/fat Check it out in a small sample, a jelly jar or something that will take the heat. I know someone else who's made hot sauce. I don't think it should be a problem. :mellow:

• Like Like x 2
  3. No problem, Earl. If you do put it in the freezer long enough to solidify the waxes then it looks like there are a bunch of thick spider webs in it. That's what gets filtered out. :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mmmm bbq sauce!

Oh what a day. What a lovely day!

• Like Like x 4
  5. [​IMG]
    Guess who found some of that elusive dry ice! I wish I held on for just a few more days, because I got so much more kief from the dry ice run. I ran out of room on the scale after it reached 8.3 grams, so I'm gonna round it out to a nice 10 gram pile

Re-Start Grow #1

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Now your cooking my style. LOL That looks great.
    BNW

• Like Like x 6
  7. Lol yup! And I haven't even collected the stuff outta my 25 micron bag. I used it at first, but nothing was coming out so I took it off.
    I can already tell these caps are gonna be much better

Re-Start Grow #1

• Like Like x 4
  8. Better than 3 drops? :huh:

• Like Like x 2
  9. I'm thinking 2.
    I didn't let the last hash batch dry before using it, and I used less since water weight played a part

Re-Start Grow #1

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hey all, quick question with green dragon. Sorry if this has already been answered, I just haven't stumbled upon the answer with my searches. Since alcohol absorbs sublingually, will you get tipsy from the alcohol in the green dragon itself? Has anyone experienced this? I made my first tincture with 2:1 cbd:thc, mix of strains. I used about 6 drops of it and feel "buzzed" almost like I had a few beers.

11. Welcome to our discussion, MG31.

Whether or not you're going to feel any of the effects of the alcohol will depend on the concentration of the Green Dragon. In some of the older versions using lower proof alcohol it was dispensed by the shot so it could cause an effect. However, by using 190 or 151 proof alcohol only a few drops are needed which isn't going to be enough to do anything. There's more alcohol in a spoonful of vanilla. That effect you were feeling was the cannabis. :)

• Like Like x 5
  12. I have only utilized 191 proof for GD and I have a really astute sensitivity to alcohol so I know the sensation you mention. I think while it may be felt it shouldn't pose any concern, the amount of alcohol is very minimal, even if I take 2ml, still a small portion of what would really cross the blood brain barrier. I did ask here and also my docs and if there is more or I missed something I am sure others will chime in!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  13. Well, as i mentioned, I have about 6 grams of food grade rosin. Long story short, I don't use filters for bud anymore.

First I broke off 2.13 grams worth. I usually use about 1 to 1 1/2 grams per ounce of ethanol. By my estimate, this should be close to reducing Sam's normal recipe by half.

I put it in a baby food jar my toaster oven at 240°F for about an hour, until the bubbling stopped. At first there were solvent bubbles (they look like soap bubbles) because I never purged the last of the ethanol. After a few minutes those stopped and the CO2 bubbles started up (they look like beer bubbles). Once that stopped, I gave it another 15 minutes or so and turned off the heat.

While it cooled, I gathered the rest of my supplies and smoked a joint of Zak Haze. I needed ethanol, vegetable glycerine, and peppermint extract (I didn't have any LorAnn on hand). I also used a syringe to measure and a one ounce spray bottle.

Next I measured out 1/2 oz. (15 ml) of ethanol and added it to the decarbed rosin. A bit of heat may be needed to get everything to dissolve. The Green Dragon was then transferred to the spray bottle and I had to try a spray on my tongue. The taste was pleasant, floral with a bit of bitterness (it's pretty green). I removed the sprayer and took another two or three sprays to clear it out.

Another 1/2 oz. of vegetable glycerine and 1/2 teaspoon (1.5 ml) of peppermint extract were added. This was shaken vigerously for a few minutes. I tried another spray on the tongue. Initially very minty like a breath spray, I may have used too much peppermint extract. The aftertaste was of the flowers with a sweetness to it, it was quite delicious.

I tried one more spray under the tongue. It stung a bit, but didn't leave my tongue feeling leathery like pure GD does. Potency is tough to judge right now. I've had about four or five sprays and a joint over the last two hours and am ready for bed. I'll try some in the morning on a clearer head and bioassay the potency.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Thank you Sam! I was a little worried because my oven decarb wasn't all that great. I have an electric oven that fluctuates all over the place so it was hard to do 240/40, good to know it worked. I did this one kind kind of randomly as I have three other strains of green dragon waiting on the natural decarb, should be ready to try in about a month!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Good to know! My major concern was that the alcohol has a much greater effect sublingually than digested, so maybe 6 drops sublingually would do something? Seems not to be the case though which is good. I might try just 6 drops of 151 sublingually and see if I feel anything.

• Like Like x 3

16. Were you able to tell if there was any clumping when you mixed the infused ethanol with the glycerin?:huh:

• Like Like x 3
  17. The natural decarb is the way to go in my opinion but that 4 months is a long time to wait. If you decide to decarb by oven then I recommend an inexpensive oven thermometer to help you stabilize the temperature. Fluctuation is going to occur but if you can keep it between 240°-250° then you're in good shape. :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Forgive my ignorance if it's a apparent. I will be harvesting my first plant this weekend and would like to know if I can decarb Fresh Harvest?

My goal is to blanch, d'carb and then make tincture.

2nd option is to refrigerate low and slow for 2 weeks then decarb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  19. My spray bottle is Amber, so it's hard to tell how much clumping I got. There does look like some of the waxes stuck to the side of the bottle. I sometimes see that with just plaid GD. I should have winterized it, but I didn't have enough alcohol.

I did notice a distinct separation this morning. A quick shake mixes it back up easily. It has been in my pocket today and not separated. The volume of separation looks like the volume of the peppermint extract I added: a couple of ml at the top. The color of the separation is dark on top.

The potency seems pretty good. I took 4-5 sprays last night and over slept this morning. I took one spray sublingually this morning and it took the edge off. Another spray about 20 minutes later and I am comfortably medicated for work. I think I'll take one more and see where that takes me.

This spray came at a good time as I was just told I can't vape on campus anymore (it's a non-smoking campus). There is no way I am standing out in the desert sun (only 90°F today) with no shade to vape. The sublingual dosing burns a bit, but the glycerine coats it and stops that leathery, burnt feeling I get when I try GD sublingually.

I'm already thinking of ways to make it better next time. I would like to winterized the rosin, and use a better grade for a better flavor. I would like to try the more concentrated flavor oils, I have some lemon and a very lemony strain, Zak Haze, that would make a killer spray.bI would also like to try this with the P3 (natural decarbed 1:1 THC:CBD) tincture as a "rescue" med. The only problem is I think I would have to keep it refrigerated to keep it inactive.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I wouldn't do it. If you have to run fresh material, do a water hash extraction and make the tincture with that. The alcohol will pull a lot of the water soluble (usually nasty tasting) stuff and wet material has lots of water. You spent months growing the plant, wait a week or two for the trim to dry and cure a bit first.

• Like Like x 4