Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Recipe Oil vs. decarb

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by bud&booty, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Hey guys! So I had a very experienced toker (20+ years) explain to me how he makes edibles. He said he just mixes his bud with oil, gets it sizzling then cuts it back to simmer for about 20 mins. Then he uses the oil for whatever recipe he wants. I wanted to try this out but definitely don't wanna waste my bud. But I was wondering how effective this method seems, considering there's no decarbing taking place? Or does the decarbing somehow take place during this process?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Almost every decarb works to some extent, but there has been much experimentation on this, and the best decarb seems to be 240 F for 40 min, or 250 F for 30 min, dry in an oven. Frying the herb will decarb, but very inaccurately, which can waste herb. You can decarb dry, grind to powder, and then do many different things. You can bake with it, but without adding too much more heat, which will degrade thc. Or you can just mix it well with something oily, like nut butter, and eat. Your friend's method will certainly work, but it's difficult to know how well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If mixed with nut butter, can it just be eaten straight away or does it need to bake a bit more?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #4 bkarnaze, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    The jury's still out. I think it gets a LITTLE stronger over time, but I've eaten it immediately with good results. I usually make up several cracker sandwiches, and use them over several days.

This is my strongest stuff, but most people find that hard to believe from such a simple method. Be sure to use an oven thermometer when decarbing to verify temperature, because decarb is very temperature sensitive.

Be sure to keep track of how much herb goes into how much nut butter, so you can estimate dosage. For good 15% thc herb, each 0.1 g will yield 15 mg thc. That might knock a new user out, but most of us would probably need around 0.2 - 0.6 g or so.

• Like Like x 1
  5. @bud&booty
    Many ways to skin this cat so likely his method does work.
    Personally I don't like to get my oil that hot so I work with a pair of oven thermometers and do my oil processing at 220 F for 20 minutes. My work is in hash so the amounts are usually small and 20 minutes is all that's needed.

Decarb all cannabis material before anything else. (240 F for 40 minutes)
    This turns your inactive THCA to active THC.

Mix with an equal amount of coconut oil (butter works) and some lecithin will increase the perceived effects IMO about 1/6th by volume.

Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Freeze
    Reheat.
    You can skip the freeze but with hash it does soften the end product and makes it less sandy feeling in the mouth.
    Working in weed I'll extend the oil heat times depending on how much oil I'm heating.. A cup I'll go 60 minutes on.

Once the cannabis is submerged in oil it really doesn't decarb very well or very fast and I've screwed enough batches early on at this by forgetting to decarb and have learned that lesson all to well.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Kats thread is the base source for much of my work and my threads are mostly trimmed down to the essentials of doing the hash-weed oil minus all her cooking.
    I've got a major medical issue and use huge amounts of cannabis hash oil every day to control my little problem and have for the past 6 years.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1