Nutrients and LST

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Foxymel, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Okay, I’ll keep my questions simple. My Auto Tangerine Dream is 3 weeks old. Growing outside in Black Gold soil. Just transplanted to a 5 gallon fabric pot with about 25-30 % perlite about 5-6 days ago. Since being transplanted she’s been growing like a weed. Lol. She’s pretty short I think, but I’m not sure how tall she should be. I do know from my research that not stretching is a good thing. She’s very healthy and green and I’ve just been giving her purified water. Anyway, I know when people ask questions they get told to do some reading. Well I have and there’s too much info making my head spin. I’m wondering when I should start giving her nutes and which kind would be the most simple without buying ten different bottles of nutes. I was looking at the FF trio and Advanced Nutrients.

Also, I’ve read about LST and I’m not sure if it would be a good idea. I don’t think she’s tall enough right now. She seems to be growing out more than up. Is that a good thing? All I know is I must be doing something right when she looks that healthy and happy! I don’t want to muck it up by doing a lot of excessive and unneeded nutes or training. Any advice would be appreciated! I will post pics but I can’t find my charger cord for my computer and I need to get an app to scrub my EXIF.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Just turn off Location on the phone when you "take a picture" and that is it, mine is always off regardless. So when you go to take your pic's turn it "off" take a few pics then you can turn it back on if you use it for other stuff.

Since this is your first grow dont worry about Lst'ing or topping. Just grow the plant naturally so you have a base line to remember by. And next time since you have gained some experience do the Lst thing work that out, then try topping after that. Or if you have a few plants going at one time experiment all the practices at once, but this might be a bit to over bearing for learner.

As for the nute's, if you just put them into fresh soil dont feed for a couple of weeks. As for fertiliser someone eles can help you with that, im still learning what is the better product & i dont know much on Northern Hemisphere growing gear. :)

3. Yeah, I learned about turning location info after I’d taken my photos! And they were taken Dailey at the same time. Today I used my camera with my macro lens which I will do from now on. Now just gotta find that damn charger! Oh btw, under the close up from my macro, I can see even better that they’re healthy. I ask about nutes because my girl is playing catch up after growing very slowly for the first 2 weeks. Compared to other’s plants, which I’m trying to avoid, she still has a way to go before I think she’ll be big enough to flower. Being an auto that’s not far off from what I’ve read.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. I have no knowledge on auto's, well school 101 but that's about all. I've never grown one & i think there finicky bloody things but i do want to try to grow them here in OZ over a winter period since were in the 6th year of drought and our temps dont get all that cold atm...

Yeah leave the nutes for not more tha 2 weeks since its new soil.

Have a good day!

5. Yep i see now, the newer model cameras have location built in hey? Is there a menu to turn it off or do you have to do the computer thing? Im not PC illiterate but only use the basic programs but all that other stuff gos straight over my head. Lol

6. Hello I'm also new to autos, I was encouraged to go with advanced nutrients, root 66 and thrive b-1 green, as well as call mag. Now I haven't started the Cal mag yet. I had started lst when I got to 6 leaves, I started in a 10 gal fabric pot took forever to grow but when the roots finished she really took off. I'm now at day 38.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7. I think it would depend on your camera. With mine, I’ve only removed EXIF from my computer and adjusted time and date on EXIF from my camera. I’m going to get one of those apps for scrubbing exif. If you have your cameras manual, you could look there or if you don’t you can google the model of your camera and should be able to view/download the manual. If you ever have any questions related to photography, I’m really into photography and may be able to help!

8. So, what do I look for as clues for her needing nutes? There’s so much info on nutes here, but if anyone has links to post here that are basic (short) with pics of different deficiencies I would be very grateful! She doubled in height in one day. Still kind of short, but she has still more leaves every day. It’s awesome how much faster she grows now since transplanting! Thank you for your help and advice!

9. Oh, I also have a question about watering. So far, I haven’t had any issues I could see with over or underwatering. Now that I’ve got her in the 5 gallon container of soil mixed with perlite in a fabric pot, I’m unsure about when I need to water. I spray the leaves twice a day with ph water. And so far I’ve watered more around the plant the right under it. I moved her this morning and I think the pot felt lighter. That’s how I judge when to water with all of my other plants. But I know with perlite and fabric pots you water more often. And I’ve read cannabis is really picky about watering. With all of my other plants I’ve been growing, herbs and veggies, all I’ve done to them is water and used organic Miracle-Gro soil. No nutrients. And they’re all doing fine. I even had one of my strawberry plants dry out to the point where I thought for sure it was dead. And it fell down upside down and I put it back in. Within a day, it fully recovered and was green and healthy again. Is MJ so much more difficult to grow than that? I mean, I transplanted too soon and it didn’t go well, but she was healthy the next day and has never shown any issues and has just been growing great. I guess what I’m getting at with this overly long post is this. There is a college semesters worth of stuff written that you need to grow MJ. I just wonder how much is overkill and unnecessary so I don’t needlessly spend too much money. And the nutrients I’ve read about are a lot of money! I do like the idea of the nutes that take the guesswork out. Like the separate grow and bloom bottles. But I see so many other nutes that are recommendeded and it’s a lot! Sorry for such a long post!

10. Me too for a long, long time.

My CherryDrop Sunset,
    Cherry sunset.jpg

And haven't named this one yet,
    new photos 055~2.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. I have been watering 4L 1G everyday for the first week I started nutes. I started very low on A B grow and work up yesterday was 7ml in 4L I also add 5ml of each, root 66 and thrive b-1 green. Now I have tried to stretch feeds the last 2 weeks, with on at 3 days in between and the second 4. I rely in the moisture meter to an extent but ultimately Im going be feel. With your pot size I'd go with 2.5 L and start nutes at a 1/4 of recommendation. [​IMG]

12. Nice shot! I took beach sunset photos a few weeks ago but with my cell phone. I live 15 minutes away from the beach. You would think that would be my favorite subject but I mostly use my macro lens. I can’t wait to use it when it’s getting close to harvest time!!!it will probably help to decide when it’s time to cut. I love using my macro lens to photograph my girl. When you see that close up you really know how well your plants doing. I absolutely adore my camera! And I’m pissed I still can’t find my power cord to my laptop! Grrrrr......I didn’t take any shots of her yesterday and I wish I did because she’s growing fast now. Making up lost time. I wonder if a plant starts out sporting a seed helmet for a couple of days causes some growth delay.

13. I bought a dual moisture and ph monitor and it does not work!!! I have another ph monitor that works. I’m going to get another moisture meter. That was a bummer. You water every day? I watered her today and before that it was maybe 3-4 days ago. Not counting spraying the leaves. Really I’d rather ere on the side of not enough than too much water from what I’ve read, too much can cause problems and too little is easy to fix. Did you do any LST?

14. Yes I started lst at the 2nd set of leaves. I am able to water daily I think cause I under water daily. Being a 10 gal pot and only feeding 1 gal.

15. When I get my seeds in- supposed to be here today-I’m going to try starting 2 and hope neither is a dud. I had one dud in my last batch from Growers Choice so hopefully that won’t happen again. But I decided to use different methods on them to experiment just for fun. It will be interesting to see what difference there may be. I’ll just have to keep careful records. I’ve been pretty much hands off with my girl so far. I want to use root stimulator on one, and LST. Maybe other things that I don’t know about yet because I’ve been doing research for the stage I’m currently in. Speaking of. When does your plant go from seedling to early veg? I think I might be close to veg. Sorry about lack of pics. I will post later.

16. When you’re counting how many nodes you have, do you include those first two true leaves? Mine are really down low and much smaller than all of my other leaves. I know the Cotyledons fall off and that’s normal. What about the first set if true leaves? If I was going to try LST, I’ve read that you should have a certain number of nodes. Of course that number seems to be different on different articles. I wasn’t even going to try to do lst, but on my nodes, I’ve noticed what looks like tiny new growth that’s about to happen. If I did lst, that would expose that new growth but if Shes outdoors does lst work differently than indoors? I don’t want her to get too tall.

17. I read similar, but decided to be anxious and started playing. I essentially started laying it over exposing all that new growth you're seeing. So as the top come up from first node I tied it over making it grow along the soil. The arch at the stock kept it off the soil and all new growth goes up. so far. I just fed again today and have noticed it drinking a little slower now that hairs have arrived. I may flush with pH water for the next one or two, then start the bloom 2 part .[​IMG]

18. I'm a huge fan of LST and plant training in general. Never do more than you're comfortable with. It can be very stressful to decide to train, how, and when. Auto seeds limit you much more on training them. One picture I've attached is my first grow, and then there is the manifold I have going that's oldest. I believe cannabis gets tricky to grow if you start adding nutrients left and right. I've switched to a living soil, so I don't have to mess with measuring out nutrients, and dealing with that. Another problem you'll find with nutrients. Is everyone seems to go straight for recommending flushing to solve a issue. I'm against that if at all possible, and have resorted to doing it once.

167110edeea5f8cc53f9a4cc3981964ddf248466.jpeg 1a0f0414ef57f5ffeee7543a6d5ab5e084d75f50.jpeg 20190224_172227.jpg

New Perpetual Grow Journal

19. Based on what I’ve read and it’s a lot, when it comes to nutes and watering, too little is easily corrected, where too much can cause permanent damage. I’ll just have to learn the signs of deficiencies. Or slowed growth. I figure I don’t have more than a week before I need to start adding nutes. I’ve been looking at the FF trio, Advanced Nutrients, and Dr. Earth. So far everything I’ve done has been organic and I’d like to keep it that way. I’m also looking at bone and blood meal and icky things like that. Plus Cal Mag. I think? Tbh, I’m clueless on which nutrients to get! The only thing I know is that I’m going to start small and go from there.

20. Ok, so I no longer need to guess when she needs to be watered! I had moved her and thought she felt a little light and decided to just water. Well, after I watered she was way heavier! So now that I have the weight down, I think I’ll be good. I’m going to need to start keeping records on her for future reference. How old is your girl there? And what strain?

• Like Like x 1