My plant is folding up

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PrinceEjassa, Oct 10, 2016.

1. So I've been doing research about growing since July and I grew a plant along with a friend and unfortunately I forced to kill it because it was a male...

So now I'm growing a plant again, what strain I don't know. I should always know what strain I grow but as a second grow, I just took a seed from a bud.

It has sprouted on October 2nd and I've been watering it when needed (finger in earth thing) and I've checked it every day since day one.

Now a big mistake I made was that I grew it under a 40w incandescent bulb and a 10w blue CFL (I read it stimulates growth as the plant follows the blue light). Worried about heat stress, I used the only thermometer that I have at home which is... an alcohol thermometer. I didn't pay to much attention until yesterday when I noticed the first set of leaves folding up.

I made my research and I read that it could be too much light, so I ended the cycle that day (18/6) and the leaves turned back to normal. Today I only left the incandescent light on and it happened again.

Is it heat stress or too much light?

I've already changed the light bulb and installed a 10w 2700k CFL which is the one seen on the picture.

[​IMG]

Is the distance good between the light and the plant?

Note: While I was writing this I noticed that the leaves already have opened up a little.

2. The leaves are stretching to the light. Need it in something to refract the light if you are just going to use 1 tiny bulb. If the plant isn't getting light from all angles, the leaves are going to point to the light.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Your light is the problem

• Like Like x 1
  4. yes, 6400k / Daylight, the white/bluish ones. and maybe a cardboard box covered in white paper or posterboard, gotta get some light refraction goin on.

5. Is the wattage important? I haven't bought anything until it reaches vegetative state and I only have small 5w 6400k cfl bulb and a 15w 2700k cfl bulb

6. If you can get the light closer and take some cardboard, tape and tinfoil and make a light reflector box, its kindergarten easy.

7. Since it is late and I want to go to sleep soon I did this.

[​IMG]

I'm using the 15w 2700k one but if the small blue one is better for growth then I'Il swap it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Just for the record, that "folding up" your plant is doing is a good sign, not a bad. It's a happy little seedling. A little stretch but that won't be a problem now.

9. I've read that in other forums too. I guess it is healthy and I'm just slightly overreacting

Sent from my SM-G920F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  10. Buy a decent light

• Like Like x 1