Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Moderating Cannabis Use

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Chacal, Apr 14, 2016.

1. I started smoking almost two years ago, for the first few months it was only with friends but after that I started smoking alone as well, now only one of my friends smokes and so mostly I just smoke alone. For the first year and a half of smoking, tolerance and moderation were never a problem. I just didn't spend that much money on weed (especially in the beginning since I didn't need that much), and if I didn't have the money to spend, I'd take a break for a week or two. However, now with a better job, as well as a side job tutoring that pays really well, I have enough money to buy weed pretty much whenever I want. I smoke a little bit more than I used to (an eighth used to last me about two weeks if I only smoked once a day, now it's about a week and a couple days, but that's not too much of a difference in a year).

I'd been smoking every day, pretty much all day except for before working out, for about 3 or 4 months when I decided I needed to take a break. I was losing motivation for things that I love, because all I'd want to do is go home and smoke. I think this might be because I'm going through a rough time in my life, but it seems that marijuana made things worse. When I was smoking every day, even when I went to go to work out, which is usually my haven because I can just forget about everything else in my life, I'd still wouldn't be able to not think about my problems. Even when I was smoking I couldn't forget about my problems.

I decided to take a break a week ago, when the weed ran out, I decided to stop smoking for until I wanted to again. The thing is, if I don't have any weed, and I just don't make plans to pick up, I stopping smoking is super easy for me. I've noticed now too, it's easier to just let go of my problems and not keep thinking about them, especially when I'm occupied by something, where before I couldn't stop thinking all these negative thoughts. It was so bad I became a little reclusive and some family members kept asking me what was wrong.

I've had periods like this before, and before the problem would solve itself. It takes a while for me to get to the point where weed becomes a hindrance more than a help; after about 2 weeks of smoking all day, it starts getting in the way. I know it's not just marijuana doing this, at least not completely, because if I'm doing well in life I don't really get these anxious thoughts.

So thoughts on why weed would be making me act this way, as well as how does one moderate cannabis usage? Should I try just smoking every couple of days? As I said before, it's not hard for me to not smoke when I don't have weed, but if it's there it's tempting. I'd just do the thing where I buy some weed, smoke it until it's gone and then take a week break, but I feel like I should be able to not smoke even when I have weed. How do you guys moderate your usage, if you do? Does marijuana ever become more of a problem than a problem solver?

• Like Like x 2
  2. It's a big problem for me. I'm old and my daughter hates it. It has been a problem with us all of her life and she's 35 now.
    There is no way I could have it in the house and not smoke it. I know people who can, but for me, it's like it calls me when I'm trying not to smoke.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Unfortunately man this is where people can grab onto the "Marijuana is addictive" theory because the mental aspect involved with smoking.

When you associate anything g with happiness such as doing things fun or even doing things repetitively, that becomes an associative behavior

Once we developed associative behaviors it can take some time to disassociate the behavior with the events corresponding to that in our life.

Long story short man is weed is weed. It's not unhealthy, it's not going to harm you. You're will power is yours to control. Smoking weed shouldn't hinder you from anything, and if it does then that's an issue.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  4. Used to have the same problem.
    What solved it for me was buying smaller amounts that I know will only last like 2-3 days.
    Thats the only way how I can moderate my cannabis use if I have larger amounts lying around I will smoke even if I made a concious effort in trying to limit myself.

5. I should try that. I always but a lot at a time because it's cheaper that way.

6. I've never found a method to moderate it, I'm sure there will be a day when it catches up to me. Maybe it already has. I know people that do really well with it though, and you can tell by looking at these people that it does not bother them. I am not one of those people, I get carried away, but if it wasn't cannabis it would be (and has been in the past) something a lot worse. We as humans are an addicted species, there's no way around it, so you have to choose your addictions wisely. In spite of all this I still look at cannabis as a blessing, If I didn't have cannabis, God knows what kind of other garbage I would be putting into my body.

7. I used to buy an oz at a time keep it in 1 jar and got to the point where without even trying I would burn through it in 2 weeks.

Moved away from my friend and its legal here now. I buy 3g at a time and if I don't have a day off it will last me 5 days. Only keep 1 g in jar at a time to keep me thinking I'm almost out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just dont let crutches become your wheelchair.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Im going through a problem with cannabis use myself actually for "moderation."

Before i say anything, I have some bad anxiety, sadly, but trying to find the issue to why!

So when i had wax in the past, i used to dab throughout the day. Stay high and in altered states of consciousness searching the universe. When i get low i will savor it for my appetite stimulation so i can eat and help my insomnia. At times it has anti-anxiety properties but its does not always work. I would like to dab once a day at night. My problem is, yesterday, i didnt care for dabbing. Had a great day. I told myself i wont dab. But i failed, and did it.

I picked up 2.5gs because my guy hooked it up. I usually pick up 1g. Now if i wanted to stay sober today, its hard purely for the fact that i have a lot more and i have the "opportunity" to do so. If i didnt have anything, I would feel fine. I wouldnt have this impulse. I guess it has to do with my will power. I just hate it. Its like the definition of anxiety. Uncontrolled or unwanted thoughts. If im out and about, I dont worry about it. Its when im home, the wax, the rig, the torch, are right at my fingertips. Its so easy to get high. Just in a snap of my fingers i can be high.

Damn, gotta rewire the brain!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Hmm. Been smoking for about 20 years. I smoke when I want to or need to due to stress etc. I don't smoke when I don't want to or when I can't be high. I usually smoke at close to the same times everyday. We are creatures of habit. Some people can maintain and others can't. That's for hard drugs and alcohol too. Sometimes if I need to smoke but don't wanna be stoned, I get what's called an edge. I just take a hit or 2. That way you can still think straight but feel the calming effects of the bud. That's how I do it if I need to be around family or something. (They know I've smoked for a long time but it's a respect thing). Best wishes.

My Journal

11. Yeah i have been smoking for almost a year now. I just turned 19 this is my first substance so that could account for why theres some conflict. But who knows ahah. I feel it will level out when i become more mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. Here's another way to look at it. You are going to live this life once. Something will eventually take you and there isn't shit you or anyone can do about it. Live life to its fullest and take every chance you can to enjoy it. Just don't make stupid decisions along the way and destroy the fun you will have in years to come, before that day even gets here.

I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until I was in my mid 20s that I realized what it was. Before then I often used the phrase "freaking out." (ex. "I'm freaking out") Weed is the only thing that can keep me sane and in control at the same time.

13. I wouldn't necessarily say that marijuana is addictive in the sense that you can't stop like with other drugs, as I said, once I stop I don't really feel the need to smoke (except maybe a few times, and it's pretty easy to brush that feeling away). But I don't think that you can just say "smoking weed shouldn't hinder you from anything", obviously it shouldn't in the big picture, but there are some times where it is going to hinder you (smoking before an activity where you need to be 100% focused). That's my problem, I'm anxious when I have to do things that require that focus, so I smoke, but I end up hindering myself anyway because even if smoking calms me down it ends up making what I have to do harder.

14. Smoking doesn't make you paranoid. Extra sensory perception enhances your awareness of your existing senses whilst high as heaven.

I often perceive elements of insight that couldn't otherwise be received if I were sober and contemplative. Some call these moments coincidence, but belief is up to the choice of substantive matter.