Max length of led wire from driver to led board...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Fataqui, Jul 21, 2019.

1. So I am trying to help someone wire (2) MW HLG-320H-AB drivers outside of their tent, but I am wondering if there is a maximum wire length for the red / black wires coming out of the drivers and going to the led boards. His tent is 7 1/2 feet tall so the red / black wires coming out of the drivers and going to the led boards will have to be 10 feet long so he can mount the drivers safely outside of his tent and so the red / black wires coming out of the drivers and going to the led boards can reach the led boards in the tent no matter how low he may want to hang each of those led boards in his tent So could someone tell me.. if its okay to use 10 feet of wire rated at 16AWG/300V to do that or will it cause to great of a voltage drop that he won't be able to fully power each of his led boards? And if using 10 feet of wire rated at 16AWG/300V will cause to great of a voltage drop to fully power each of his led boards, what would be the max length that the red / black led wires can be?

TIA, and really thanks so much for any help that anyone can give me, as I am not very good at understanding electrical stuff!!!

2. #2 JoshuaE, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    I don't know the max length, but I have 10' of 18 gauge solid core wire ran from a 320h 54a to a pair of 96s , they've been running for 8 months no problems.

If you hook it up and your boards flicker you will know you have dropped below your required forward voltage.

3. Not so...!6 g is bigger than 18 ga, so...LESS resistance.:sneaky:

4. Right thanks for that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 10' isnt that long in terms of cable resistance but you can easily check this by testing with a 10' wire before installing everything in place if you want some reasurance.

6. I have an HLG-320-2800A ran from outside of my closet to 2-288 Rspecs with about 10 foot of wire. No problems here either.

Has anyone wired their driver to their boards using lamp wire/cord. It has both of the wires encased in plastic, that way you dont have two seperate strands running(I know some just tape them together).

Hubbabubbasmelloscope Quantum Board Grow

7. You need to check the power rating for the cord you want to use and make sure it can handle the load you run through it.

8. Generally, the wire is 2m, if you want to leave the driver out of tent, you will need 4m wire.

9. HLG recommends 300v solid core wire. This is 600v but they are wrapped/encased in plastic. It's called "Lamp Cord". It has worked for me...and it looks a lot tidier than having 2 seperate wires running.

Hubbabubbasmelloscope Quantum Board Grow

10. If your wire is rated for up to 600v then you are good to go.