Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Magic butter question ❓

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Smokin_zee_weed, Jan 17, 2021.

1. I just got a magic butter machine I'm using for the first time . I'm planning on making glycerites with it . I've seen people when making oil infusions mix a half oz of alcohol or (everclear) with 1 oz of herb so I was thinking that might be a good ideal to try with the herb glyercerite and remove it after by letting it sit covered with a protective screen to evap out ? Also I've seen the 4 hour and 8 hour setting does anyone have any opinions on which makes it more medicinal ? Also as far as temp decarbong goes is that determined by what material your using and for what you medicines you want to express ? And lastly a little off topic but can I make fresh herb tinctures in the machine too ? I have elecampane growing and want to make a fresh herb root tincture and was wondering if the machine would work for that stuff too ? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated !!

2. If you are planning on making a glycerine tincture, you are likely to be disappointed with the potency.
    Glycerine is a very poor solvent for cannabinoids.
    Making FECO (called MBO by MagicalButter) first, then adding it to glycerine will work, but requires a lot of expensive alcohol.
    Magical Butter Machine has a 2 cup minimum, which can lead to weak concentrations.

I own two MBMs, but rarely use them anymore because of the 2 cup minimum.
    For example, if 1 oz herb is used with 2 cups solvent, the potency (for 16% thc herb, then
    THC = 0.16*(28,000 mg)/(473 mL) = 9 mg/mL
    Some of us would need a Tbs or more of yucky oil.

Your best strategy, which might not be feasible, is to make FECO (MBO), and then add it to anything.
    That's what I do, then add oil to the FECO.
    But I reclaim 190 proof alcohol with something like this:
    The Lowest Price And High Quality Alembic Distiller Alcohol Distiller - Buy Alembic Distiller,Alembic Distiller,Alembic Distiller Product on Alibaba.com

Before doing anything, make sure to decarb.
    Either MBM's recommended 250 F for 30 min, or 240 F for 40 min will work well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tha k you for the reply !
    So feco is a reduction of alcohol tincture ? You just cook it down after it's been tinctured? Kinda like rso but not that reduced . And then mix it in glycerine

4. I agree with bkarnaze, but have a lower tolerance, so the MBM works fine for me.

I have made tinctures with my MBM, but wouldn't recommend it. What I would recommend is to research the QWET method of making tinctures. When it comes to taste, it's the best way I've found for a clean cannabinoid extraction. And the side benefit is that the quick extraction leaves enough THC in the buds to make a batch of butter (or coconut oil, mct oil ...) with your MBM.

I'm always thinking in terms of food, so here's my old man math for that same 16% THC and a cookie recipe calling for 1/4 cup butter from the 2 cups you'd make with a MBM:
    16% x 28,000mg = 4,480mg (theoretical THC)
    4,480mg x 80% = 3584mg (actual THC due to efficiency loss)
    3584mg / 8 = 448mg (portion of the 2 cups that you use)
    448mg / 16 cookies = 28mg / cookies

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cool I'll look into that thank you !

6. Exactly.

But it's also possible to use whole herb without making anything else first.
    I make a lot of cookies, and they're very easy.
    If you have interest instructions are available.

7. Interesting ! Yeah I'm interested is it on another thread or easy for you to pass along ?

8. Can you just run the same oil again through the MBM and add more plant material to increase the potency till you get it where you want it? Will this degrade the oil in some way?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Mbm2 mtc tincture???? Help needed

• Like Like x 1
  10. How do you evaporate alcohol ?

11. Slowest method. Leave it out in an open container covered with some kind of mesh to keep debris out. The bad, it will absorb moisture from the air. The good, retains terpenes.

Good options. Use a low heat source like a coffee cup warmer and/or a fan to speed up the process. Again, no heat but using a fan will hang onto most of those terpenes.

Most efficient. Use a distiller to reclaim the alcohol. The bad, even as low as 175 degrees, you’ll loss some terpenes.

12. I should have left my post from yesterday but I felt it was to snarky and deleted it.
    Return the MBM unused and get your money back.

Buy a $20.00 toaster oven with thermostat control and a 3 dollar stainless steel cat food dish.
    The 2 cup minimum run makes way to much of very weak oil.
    Who wants to eat 2 or 3 tablespoon of oil when 2 or 3 drops will do the job?

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes uncovered.

5 grams of decarbed Kief or hash or powered buds
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Done

Buds 1 drop = 1mg
    Kief-hash 1 drop = 3mg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ===================================================================

Tincture
    Decarbed buds
    Freeze 190-151 proof everclear
    Cover buds with cold booze
    Shake 10 seconds
    Squeeze out tincture with potato ricer or garlic press
    [​IMG]
    I do a near full quart jar of bud scraps to a full fifth of 190-151 proof.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

Glycerin = not worth messing with IME

BNW

13. [​IMG]
    About 1000 Hash capsules per jar and I've been cranking the exact same caps for 8 years now.
    Somewhere north of 30,000 made and consumed or given away.
    75mg each.

BNW

14. Dirty single serve edible.

Decarb 1 gram of buds
    240 F for 40 minutes
    Grind to dust
    Mix with just enough butter or cooking oil to make mud.
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Chill till hard.
    Cut into 4 pieces
    Eat one
    Wait 2 hours.
    If not stoned eat a 2nd chunk
    Wait 2 more hours
    If not stoned eat the last 2 pieces.

BNW