Light cycle for outdoor grows.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by OkayOK, Nov 15, 2018.

1. I have been doing my first grow, the stem is shown below. I did top the plant on the third node, and after 45 days it is 40cm high.

Stipuals are well formed as per the pic below, but there is no sign of preflower, so sex is unknown.

I have been doing a lot of research for outdoor growing. I am in the southern hemisphere, southern Africa, on the tailing end of Spring. In all the research that I have done, they say that I should be provision my plants 18 hours of sunlight a day. I am not sure where all the outdoor growers get this data from, but we only get 12 hours light currently, and the max we might get is 14 hours in summer. My plant is vegging, and picked up 6 inches in 8 days (height).

So, what do I do about the light cycle. Will my plants keep vegging or will they prematurely go into flower? tapatalk_1541435069211.jpeg

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. 14.5 hours of light for outdoors and if you have them indoors with 18hours, the light has to be stepped down gradually to 14.5 so they don't trigger/flip when you put them outdoors. Good Luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The problem is that it has been 14 hours from germinating them, and it's increasing. Will the plant not flower until the days start getting shorter? I am really battling to understand how the whole lighting thing works.

Will slowly moving the plants to an area that recieves less light per day trigger flowering?

4. Yes. If you want to be safe, put a light outside for and hour or so after dark for additional light.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just smoked a joint with the local Rastas, and had a nice long chat about local growing. They were surprisingly helpful telling me how to grow, prep soil and when to harvest.

They indicated to me that my babies will be ready to harvest at the beginning of March, and there is not a damn thing I can do to change it. March for us is the beginning of Autumn / Fall. What a nice bunch of guys, but then they started speaking of God, and other religious stuff and my mind literally broke, I cannot logically smoke a joint with someone, get stoned af, then have them turn into Morman type missionaries, it was all too much

6. In real world application the month before and after the longest day of the year (Dec21st down under) is the only 2 months Cannabis will veg outside unaided. If your in the Southern Hemisphere that means Dec and Jan are your veg months.
    If it doesn't freeze in your location you can flower outside off season like I can here in Southern California USA but it takes some work and either an inside veg area or additional lighting to keep the plants in veg until they are large enough to flower.
    An American Dream - White Picket Fences and Marijuana in the So Cal Sun
    My thread is all about how I get 4 harvests per year outside.
    BNW

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks man. My plant is vegging now.

8. If you started your seed outside and its been outside its whole life then it will do what its supposed to do when it needs to do it.
    Funniest thing, this plant was originally grown outside.
    For like hundreds of thousands of years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1