LED or not

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by yazdan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. #1 yazdan, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently utilizing MH and HPS lights and the cost of running them is pretty low for me: $9 for a 400w German-made quality bulb, $22 for a ballast+ignitor, and the electricity bill for a ~900w grow is somewhere near $7 per month.
    Should I even think about switching to LED for flowering? The quality one is pretty costly(+$300) and I don't really care if it lowers my electricity bills from $7 to $5 or so :D
    Also I like the way that I can put my HID bulbs as close as 20cm and not really giving a damn about "light burn" or such stuff.

2. if you already have mh/hps, and its not costing you much to run them, and your temps are fine, and you are getting good results,.. why would you invest in leds? i doubt its $7 for you a month, i would think more than that, but if its even close why even think about changing?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for your response.
    Well, simply because "the hype is real", but on the other hand, fortunately I'm not a "jumping on the bandwagon" person and I'll probably wait until those $300ish one getting as cheap as $30 :D
    No doubt about that $7 since I'm paying it every single month and I've never paid more than that.
    Temperature is pretty fine now, somewhere between 74F - 76F but for sure in summer it will be a pain to maintain that without an AC unit.

4. If you're going to try led I'd look into COB. 300 probably isn't going to get you anything that will compete with HID, but if you're willing to spend a little more you could DIY a COB that will be as good or better than an HID with less heat and less power draw.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks for the hint!
    Yeah, a while ago I was researching about Cree and Bridgelux(if I'm not mistaken about the brands) and found that if I'm looking for a good result, I gotta pay some bucks for that.
    As I've mentioned before, the power consumption and heat is not really a problem, even if I put an AC unit here it won't cost me more than an additional $5 per month and the only thing I'm currently concerned about is quality and intensity of the light so I won't end up having fluffy buds on some leggy plants :)
    I was even thinking about making a "full-spectrum" DIY panel with COB and LED but unfortunately I'm short on cash and that's not gonna happen any time soon.
    Feel free to check my setup at Poor man's setup which costs around ~$100 and after all, me(including my pocket) and my plants are happy with it :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Considering your running expenses are near nothing, I see absolutely no benefit to switching to a LED setup. Upgrading to a higher wattage HPS/MH setup would be a much more sensible option to me than dropping $1000 on a quality LED.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes sir, that is exactly what I'm thinking about!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Electricity here is very inexpensive as well, and I run a 1000w HPS in a 2x4x8 closet and keep temps 65-75 year round as it is. So I'm in the same boat, upgrading to a LED makes absolutely no sense to me. In fact, my exhaust of the HPS heat is so efficient I'm not sure switching to a LED would be any easier to cool than my setup right now and may actually be more difficult considering there are very few quality LEDs with integrated air ducting systems.

• Like Like x 1
  9. You are way off on your electrical cost figures.
    Formula for kWh Calculator | Go Green in Your Home

If you pay .10 c per kilowatt hour like I do, which is pretty average your monthly cost for 900 watts at 12 hours at day is roughly $33. If you run part of it 18/6 or 24 to have a veg area then it goes up to about $50 a month. I have a grow op that is around 1000 watts and my bill has went up roughly $40-50 depending on month.

10. Part of your lowered cost going with LED is reduced heat. It won't require as much of a fan or A/C depending on what LED you are talking about. Simply saying LED as a generic term isn't very useful as they vary so much between the cheap 3 watt knock off diodes to the cree cxb cobs.

COBs are just more efficient compared to HID so they convert more of the actual watts to light and less to heat. The best cobs are now up to 197 lumens per watt. The top end hps bulbs are 144 lumens per watt. The cobs are putting out 30%+ more light per watt. Beyond that it's a better spectrum for plant growth. LED doesn't elevate leaf temps as much as HID, ect, ect....

HPS bulbs degrade quick and should probably be replaced once a year or more at the least.

The spread of light and coverage of the room is 10x better with LED's. You're not attempting to spread the light from a single hot spot. The light readings at the edge of the grow space are very close to the middle with most quality LED setups. HPS can't ever hope to get near the even spread from a single bulb.

Where you really gain is in your grams per watt. People think if you can grow 2 pounds with a single 1000 watt light you're a god. That's not even 1gram per watt. My meager amatuer efforts have made it to .7 g's per watt with platinum led's by my 5th crop. Many growers have approached and surpassed 2 grams per watt with cobs. That's where the real battle for lighting supremacy is being won.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2 mars 300 type lights can easily outgrow a 400 watt hps for less then 300 watts with better plant coverage.

12. The problem with LEDs is that many hobbyist growers aren't growing for profit, so what little yield difference you get just isn't that big of a factor. Their extremely high initial investment costs is what is killing widespread LED adoption in the hobbyist market. Whenever those initial investment costs drop we'll see a lot more rapid adoption of LEDs outside of the standard blurple chinese LEDs.

I don't grow for profit, and it would take more than 4 years for the LED to pay for itself in reduced electricity bills. The justification for me to switch just isn't there, although I'd use one if someone gifted a quality cob light to me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. A $1000 investment isn't worth it for me to get 3lbs a harvest over 2-2.5lbs a harvest. I already have more weed than I ever would know what to do with, LOL. I live in an illegal state and I actively search out medical users to donate ounces to all the time just so I don't have pounds sitting around the house all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I pay ~$4 for ~270kwh. Makes sense now?
    Not a problem if it costs only $9. (so after 10 years it will cost me an LED setup LOL)
    That's what I'm talking about! the direct impact on the bud, in both quality and quantity.

15. I agree with you psycho to a point but the cheap citizen cobs dropping on the market right now are changing the game because suddenly building a quality DIY cob fixture is in the price range of more people. I just googled some prices a little last night the citizen 1212 cobs are selling for as little as $11 each. That will change things for people who don't mind wiring a power supply to a bulb and affixing them to a heat sink. Light building is like a cake walk IMO if you've ever done construction or built gaming computers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Feel you bro! I'm not good at harvest(due to other reasons, not my lighting :D) but we're pretty much in the same boat and in my case, besides that 3lbs vs 2.5lbs I have a $7 vs $5 electricity bill which seems just ridiculous for now )))
    Maybe when they increase the kwh price I'd go for a more "efficient" solution but right now, it's working fine I guess.

17. I have done some reading on the citizen 1212 cobs and I am definitely intrigued. It has gotten me interested in building my own LED again. When I started pricing what I wanted out before I had sticker shock and put the project on hold for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'm in the process of planning a 40x18' commercial grow space and I'm trying to talk my partner into building all citizen 1212 cobs instead of going HID. There a lot of people starting up in Alaska and if we want a competition advantage we want cheaper operating cost and higher yields. That's going to keep us in business while the other people growing with HID's drop out. That's my plan anyway. Haven't settled on grow methods and such yet. 3rd partner still has to build the space.

• Like Like x 1
  19. And also expert growers(I'm talking about +20kgs per month) here reply "LOL son, get yourself a better toy" when it comes to LED and *ALL* of the serious growers(again, not some hobby basement kids) are using HPS(+MH) and NOTHING else.

20. The landscape is definitely shifting towards LED as more effective and efficient cobs are released at better pricepoints. In 10 years only the old school growers will still be using HID lighting. LEDs will eventually take over the entire grow space and hopefully blurple diode LEDs will be a thing of the past.