LED lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mashiro, Feb 25, 2012.

1. i am new to growing and was in the same situation that you are in. i had cfls for one plant. i posted some questions about LED lights and i was recommended to blackstar by lighthouse, pentertators and solarstorms.. i ended up ordering a blackstar 135w bcz of my size and budget and will use cfl as extra. goood luck

2. The Blackstar 135 watt is a really nice light. How do you like it?

3. If it helps HTG does not make their own anything as far as I know. Just repackaged stuff, not saying it's bad as everything I have ordered from them is 100% legit.

I ordered their 90w ufo and it says agromax on the unit. I bought this to "dip my toe in the led water" so to speak. I only clone and veg with it but must say that it easily out produces a 250w mh as far as that is concerned. I'm happy with it but was told that flowering with it would not be worth it.

4. What about that 135 watt Blackstar UFO? Think it would be good for vegging as well as flowering?

5. Dunno. My experience with LED's is very limited. I'm sure you can flower with any of the reputable tri-bands (or higher) and would do better than cfls but not as good as hps.

6. I use the blackstar 135w. So far it has done a nice job vegging my single plant. Haven't switched to flowering yet, but it has decent reviews. It's mostly red spectrum designed for flowering. I have no doubt it will work, just waiting to see how well.

Also if you do order the led from ebay try to make them an offer you may save a few bucks.

7. Pm some pics when about 2 weeks away from harvest if you don't mind. I have been eying that unit for an experimental grow and was curious how well it yields.

8. Well the original plant turned out to be a male, so no yield from him. I did throw 2 younger plants in the box with him when I flipped to 12/12 about 6 days ago. But I'm not expecting much, they didn't veg long and they were both stunted due to ph problems. I will add 1 more to go 12/12 from seed and see how those 3 do.

9. I have that too, so far it's working well and doing a good job.

10. If your grow space is truly 16" wide, the fixture is also the same. That would leave no clearance to manipulate it, if it really does fit.

11. Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I just harvested my first plant from 135w blackstar. Dried weight was 29 grams. Not bad for a first grow.

12. I've been growing with LED's.

I have (2) 90w Ufo, (1) 180w Ufo, (2) 240w Blackstars, (1) 600w quadband

I've been really happy with the Blackstars but my 600q is my pride and joy! The UFO's didn't do too bad in my first grow and I've been using them to veg. Eventually all those LEDs will be my veg/cloning lights and I'll be flowering with this 1000w HPS that I just picked up.

With that LED you'll for sure be able to grow with it and get a decent harvest. Yes, it won't flower as well as a 1000w hps but then again you don't have NEARLY the amount of heat. Oh and you wont even really notice an increase in your electric bill with the LED.

I get between 1 and 2 oz per plant with the LEDs.