LED lighting and effect on Photobiology

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by trojangrower, May 7, 2019.

1. #1 trojangrower, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Lots of discussion on the forums about red lights, blue lights, R:FR, Emerson, and its very groundbreaking material. I know some members of the community are actively testing new lights and mixing up diodes and colors.
    I thought to add some papers here for others to read, as of May 2019.
    Feel free to include white papers, comments and personal experiences on the subject.

The articles I am including are linked, so just click on the title.

HPS vs LED Grow Lights: The Spectrum Efficiency Showdown (2017) This paper is a company funded report, but offers some good background for others. Its also somewhat dated.

The Effect of Light Spectrum on the Morphology and Cannabinoid Content of Cannabis sativa L. (2018)

LED lighting affects the composition and biological activity of Cannabis sativa secondary metabolites (2019)

An Update on Plant Photobiology and Implications for Cannabis Production (2019)

I'm still reading the last one atm, and can't get a copy of the second paper (can someone get this for us?) *edit: third paper.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Trojan, thanks for the links m8. I love that you guys feed my intellectual side as well.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ahhh a interesting new post in the advanced section!

I was able to access the 2nd link and get a full pdf. However the 3rd link needed to be purchased. Was that the one you referring to? If so I can purchase and share it. Just need confirmation it’s the correct one.

• Like Like x 3
  4. #4 JoshuaE, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Good post
    Look forward to reading all those.

• Like Like x 3
  5. #5 trojangrower, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    I wouldn't purchase it, someone on Research Gate will share it, or anyone going to college can just access it from the library.
    I can ask one of the authors to share it, or they maybe already doing that.
    edit *yes, I meant the third one, silly me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. #8 Henchman21, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. It's me zipperman3. I lost the other account since I forgot my password.

Can you explain what does these graphs mean? From what I understand from the last one, it looks like HPS is better for stretching, while LED give more THC/CBD and yield.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lol oh well, and ya, just look under the chart for what each graph is representing. The last of the 9 charts, or "i", is total grams of cannibinoids per plant.

Each light got its own tent. Each light started with 16 plants and then the best 9 were picked to flower. The 9 plants in each tent had all of their measurements taken and then a "per plant" average was calculated. In the charts above the "per plant" averages under the different lights are being compared.

Im still perplexed though as to what the individual letters mean, ie, why "a" instead of "b" or "c", or why "c" instead of "a" or "b," I understand if the letter is capitalized that its denoting one trial and lowercase is the second trial, but can't figure the variation or what's being compared to give the different letters? Maybe someone can help me out?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Can you elaborate? I understand like 20% of these papers. Shit, I should have bought the light with spectrum control.
    I'm thinkgin getting this one for my new tent, what do you think?
    Hlg Driver V2 Oslon Ssl Deep Red 3030 Smd Qb288 Lm301b Mix 660nm Quantum Board Plant Grow Light - Buy Lm301b 660nm Quantum Board,Osrams 660nm Quantum Board,Oslon 660nm Lm301b Led Product on Alibaba.com
    It's like 150$

• Like Like x 2
  10. 2 LEDs were used along with 1 HPS. If you look at the yield differences in the 2 LEDs (AP673L vs NS1), you see that a higher green & blue % in the SPD (NS1) equates to a better quality of product, or higher THC, and higher overall cannibinoids.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Well heck. Let us know if you found any good blue diodes. I guess I will find some supplement blue light.

• Like Like x 2
  12. If you've got 3000k now, I'd add some reptile bulbs for some UVB/A, and some 660/680nm + 730nm strips or pucks. I've never bought supplemental red or FR so idk what's available and how easy it is to hook up.
    1557278396253.png
    You can see that when comparing the NS1 to an LM301b in 3000k 80CRI (Dark line is 3000k 80CRI LM301b) that the big differences are at the 660nm peak (lacking in the LM301b) and the 405nm peak of the NS1. So adding the reptile bulbs will help to give you some UV or some sort of higher blue closer to 405nm (although reptile bulbs are even higher, like 310-380nm with only a few spikes in visible) and adding the 660nm will help too. I think the NS1 is lacking in FR so I'd add 730nm as well if I could.
    LinearBulb-reptile-uvb200-25W.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Reptile bulbs? Like this one?

I have never do any supplement lights. It could be a problem to try to spread a supplement light evenlt since my QB already took the middle space. So may be 4 lights in 4 corners?

14. also, if its just UVA, then diodes are cheap and readily available. I haven't mentioned their efficiency though... cuz idk.

edit* just checked price is still kinda high.

• Like Like x 1
  15. haha yes, I'm reading this one too.
    The seller is telling me this red thing is good:
    V2 OSLON SSL DEEP RED 3030 SMD
    "
    Other suppliers use cheap Epistar 660nm red mixed with LM301B. We use high performance Osram Oslon 660nm led mixed with
    "
    Google doesn't show anything about this one though.

16. yea, I trust HLG's gear, but you can get photo red diodes (and mini boards) for cheap, that I'm pretty sure of.
    You can find that stuff in boards like these:
    upload_2019-5-7_19-49-19.png
    and I try to watch some of BigClive's videos (still hard to understand), but he's reviewed similar boards and liked them, except for the larger 50W and 100W models. The smaller 20W boards he approves of.

Also, on cheap/expensive diodes... if they are cheap enough, who cares? Unless they are unreasonably excessive in power consumption, I don't see the big deal, just order a couple extra ones for when they burn out (if they burn out).

• Like Like x 2
  17. I don't personally know though I haven't used them, but thinking cheap, versatile, able to place at multiple locations, and I see so many colors available, maybe its the best way?
    Have a look what I mean.

• Like Like x 3