Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just joined

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Stoned_beauty❤️, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Hey guys Just joined the community and getting ready to make tincture for ediables for the first time! Also making cannabutter for the first time so wish me luck that my test results come back on point!! Any tips or tricks for a rookie?? :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Excellent idea to make tincture for edibles. The best solvent is 190 proof ethanol (everclear) if you can get it. Oil, butter, glycerine are very poor at removing cannabinoids from ground herb. Making strained oils/butters leaves about half the medicine in the strained out sludge. Cannabutter is more efficiently made by just adding tincture (maybe reduced to feco) to butter.

Long soaks will pick up almost all the cannabinoids, and the strained out sludge will contain very little potency. Many people prefer quick washes with alcohol, which leaves a lot of medicine behind, but that doesn't contain unwanted plant matter.

Be sure to decarb first (240 F for 40 min works well).

One other thing, the simplest method for making edibles is to add ground-to-powder, decarbed herb to the oil of any recipe, and bake. I sometimes do this with betty crocker cookie mixes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I currently have my first batch in the oven at 240 with 15 minutes left to go :) how do I do a quick wash with alcohol? I was gonna let the trim sit in ever clear for 5 days in a covered jar... is that not the best way to get the potency?

4. I soak mine for 2 weeks, but 5 days is enough.
    Quick washes are for people who want a higher percentage thc in a product that contains little plant matter, but that leaves out a significant fraction of the medicine in the finished product.
    Long soaks are for people who believe the more plant matter, the better.
    Quick washes are often favored by recreational users, and long soaks by medical users.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. #6 BrassNwood, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    @Stoned_beauty❤️
    Tincture
    1 cup of decarbed weed (240 F for 40 minutes)
    1 cup high proof grain alcohol (190 proof )
    Freeze both parts separately
    Combine
    Shake hard 30 seconds
    Squeeze weed from alcohol with potato ricer or garlic press. Wear gloves and don't get the tincture on your skin as it will transdermal stone the fuck out of you if the tincture is strong.
    Done
    Long soak just pulls more chlorophyll into your tincture making it ever more bitter not stronger. All the good stuff is pulled off in the first 15 seconds with alcohol.
    Oil
    1 cup decarbed weed (240 F for 40 minutes
    Mix with 1 cup of Coconut oil and 4 tablespoons of Lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 60 minutes
    Freeze
    Reheat and it's done. Strain weed with potato ricer or not. If you powder the weed fine enough you can just leave it in the oil.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture
    Between Psam and myself you likely have the 2 most experienced edible tincture and oil makers on the site at the moment.
    Dislocates shoulder so I can pat myself on the back. :)
    BNW

6. Thank you!! I made my first batch already and it's been in the jar with alcohol since yesterday( I didn't freeze it since I just read these) so should I process it now? (I'm making a tincture). I'm gonna give a go on some gummy ediables and hope they test at 150mg :) fingers crossed lol

7. @Stoned_beauty❤️
    Yepp. I'd go ahead and decant and strain it. Nothing to gain by leaving it.
    BNW

8. ok, do I still need to boil the alcohol out or is there a better way?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yes, you need to concentrate it by evaporating some of the alcohol but how you go about that will depend on the alcohol you used. 190 proof is the best but 151 will work, too, but the concentration has another step. Do you know which you have? :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I used everclear which is 190 I believe

• Like Like x 1
  11. Everclear has 190 and 151 and it usually depends on the state as to which is available but even stores in legal states will carry both. It will say on the label. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm in Michigan and I got 190.. just from the local corner store.

• Like Like x 1
  13. That's great. There was someone else here in the forum inquiring about where to get it in Michigan. Since it's 190 then there should be no issue with concentrating it down to whatever potency you want. You can evaporate it using a double boiler type of setup in boiling water or let it evaporate naturally in a warm, dry place.:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome and good luck!! I'm looking forward to your report on the finished product.

15. In my opinion, I would suggest that you have some CBD tincture or cannabis available in case you ingest too much THC.

even experienced cannabis cooks can be surprised by the strength of the cannabis or the finished product.

Having some CBD which could calm and even alleviate the symptoms of too much THC is advisable.

• Like Like x 2