Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Infusing Butter

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Legate Damar, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I've been using edibles for a long time. I had a problem I haven't had before. I make my butter by putting a jar of butter in a small crockpot filled with water for a couple of hours. I got distracted by my laundry and it ended up staying there for about 4 hours. When I came back to it it had layers -- one looks like hash and the other is probably the butter. I've seen seperation in much smaller quantities but nothing like this. Can I fix this, and is it safe to use?

The picture is of half a stick of butter with about 2 grams in a glass yogurt cup.

Attached Files:

2. Take a Crock-Pot and put ur weed eater and butter in altogether. Add water as it boils off. I use 100 grams of trim and 4 sticks of butter. Put on low and than stir frequently for 2 hours. Some do 4. Than strain with a metal strainer and put bowl in fridge. Butter will rise. Throw water away

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Odd indeed. Should be usable if on the sleep inducing side.

Coconut oil hits in half the time butter does.
    It's also room temp stable far longer then butter.
    Lecithin will roughly double the bang per MG so you only need half as much cannabis.

[​IMG]

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

[​IMG]

Kief capsules.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have some soy lecithin I can try. I think I'll also drain off the water. It's just weird that it's basically half butter and half water. I did a light recarb beforehand, maybe halfway there. I don't like fully decarbing because the crock pot does it by itself anyway. I'll try it tonight and update you with results.

5. #6 puddleglum, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Looks like you burned it. Did you clarify the butter ahead of time? And what is that big stringy thing? I'm very confused. And did you have a lid on the jar while it was in the crock pot? I wonder if some of the steam might have condensed back down into the jar. Sorry but I feel like your recipe is kind of questionable. Next time I highly recommend the BrassNWood coconut oil method instead! Works every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Believe it or not it didn't really burn. The butter itself turned a dark yellow almost greenish color. I didn't clarify it because it was a really small batch and I didn't think it would make as big a difference as it did. I usually use at least a whole stick; this is my first using half. Anyway I use water in the crockpot to keep the temprature from getting too high. As far as the effectiveness goes it was mild to moderate. I didn't get messed up but it was relaxing enough to sleep. It was only 2ish oz, so I didn't expect it to hit hard. The lecithin didn't make a huge difference, but again that might be the small quantity. Some of it might have been condensation, sure. It all drained off in the end so I'm not hung up on it. My best theory is that the plant stuff that rendered out of the cheesecloth (the stringy thing) was at the bottom of the crockpot and thus burned. But the butter was heated by the water around it and under it, so it didn't burn. Or at least not as badly. But yeah. I think I'll stick to my normal sized batches of butter. And next time I'll try the coconut oil method. I've used coconut oil before but it didn't turn out the way I wanted. I'm also curious if snaller amounts turn out better if ther are loose while cooking and strained later. It isn't always practical for larger quantities. I'll be experimenting.

Attached Files:

7. Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes uncovered
    If using buds grind to powder next.

5 grams decarbed Anything
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin
    Combine
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (optional)

No water
    No crock pot
    With Hash 1 drop = 3mg
    Powdered Buds 1 drop = 1mg

Hands down the most bang per MG of cannabis used. Nothing come close to this stuff for sheer strength per drop. The Lecithin used in small batches raises the bar to a whole new level of stone.
    BNW

8. [​IMG]
    First round Decarbed Kief 240 F for 40 minutes uncovered.
    160 Micron Dry Ice Kief. 15 grams per pile.
    3 tablespoons of oil per dish and 1.5 teaspoons of Lecithin.
    [​IMG]
    Second round
    [​IMG]
    Third Round
    [​IMG]
    And
    [​IMG]
    I think at this point I was going to stop so I did the finger wipe and bowl lick.
    [​IMG]

A pair of Stainless steel cat food dishes and a Mr. Coffee Mug warmer are my most prized possessions.

BNW

9. In terms of cost is keif more effective than flower? My belt is tight and my wallet is light. Is it a better buy as far as cooked potency goes? I've never actually cooked with kief.

10. If you know the THC content of the herb and the kief, then you can do the calculation, how much you are paying per mg of THC.

For example if 20% THC herb is $20 per gram then that's 200mg of THC or $0.10 per mg of THC.

And if 60% THC kief is $55 per gram then that's 600mg of THC or $0.09 per mg of THC.

So in that case the kief is the slightly better deal. But if the numbers were different, and the herb was only $15/g then the herb would be a better deal at $0.075/g.

If math is not your strong suit then I've found that dispensary employees are pretty good about answering if I ask, "I'm kind of broke and I want to make brownies. What's your best deal today?"

11. It'll depend on your up front costs. Locally Hash is a bargain from what I see in the dispensaries IMO but I've not bought any for real world testing to see how it stacks up against my own Kief.

Do a batch each way and judge for yourself is always my advice. I prefer the Kief over Buds and over RSO.
    If your blending the finished tablespoon into a food then it really doesn't matter as the amount of powdered buds is low enough to be barely detectable in say cookies.

5 grams of Kief-hash into 30 capsules is only
    0.166666666 grams per capsule and it works out to 75mg and a real intense dose.

This edible recipe is very efficient and your cannabis use will drop to 1/4 or less then what you inhale depending on how stoned you get per mg used.
    Even most pure edible users find it twice as effective as the method they have been using.

BNW

12. Kief-Hash = Crisp, Clean stone, Good head trip, No balance issues.
    Buds = Not as Clean. It's a dirtier stone with more brain fog and I've got 2 left feet and I'm banging into things I usually avoid
    RSO = This is the Highest in terms of Max body stone and bad brain fog. Walking with a heavy dose can become a real effort and crawling may be a better option. Spins are more likely on a lower amount.

This is with identical processing as the recipe calls for just a slightly different source material. Usually more green = More klutz.

I've been using RSO capsules for the last couple of months as I had way more of them. The wife complains about this version as making me " Even more stupid then Usual" "Hurry up and use them up or give them away".

BNW

13. This is what I came up with. I tried using coconut oil this time. Again it was only 2 oz so I used a glass yogurt cup in a small crockpot filled with water. I let it sit first for about 3 hours, then I put it in the fridge overnight. This morning I cooked it again for another 3 hours. Currently using the remaining leaves in tea I'm brewing. I didn't tie it up in cheesecloth like I normally do and just threw it in. I strained it with my screen and then out it in cheesecloth to ring it out. It came out pretty dark. It's pretty potent, too. I tried mixing some with peanutbutter when it was halfway done and it was great. No lecithin. The other pics are from when it just came out of the fridge. This is still flower, so not a lot of work overall.

20200715_151932.jpg 20200715_151913.jpg 20200715_151859.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1