Ice water extraction thread!

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Bullscrog, May 13, 2013.

1. Hey everyone of GC, I'm bullscrog. I've noticed around here everything is all about bho or qwiso, and yes u can get some yield and a little more potency, but all of those who master IWE know they can pull some MAD flavors and still get potencies close to that of bho/qwiso/etc.. And using no solvents appeals to some of us ;)

So all in all I think us old school bubble hash people should have a place to share thoughts and methods. I'm not expecting this thread to get huge because let's face it, too many people are snobs about their wax, but us few who have a passion for Ice Water need somewhere to go!

I will be harvesting a crop in about two weeks and will post my concentrate yield and method here.

Hope there are others out there who still love a good full melt. Feel free to post your own products, share tactics, or even ask questions were all friends here!

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1196843-herojuana-og-scrog-14.html

2. I will watch this.. if the site gets betterr.. subbed in, i think...

3. #4 Cloud9Oil_T.A/ES, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  4. That looks like some damn fine product cloud, i like the color. Sorry for late reply havnt been on much since the GC remodel :/. But I've never used a coffee filter with ice water, do u mind breaking down your process briefly? I'm gonna harvest in about a week so ill have some fresh frozen trim ready soon :).

5. jar + ice + water (stirred till cold) then + trim 

soaked 7 minutes- no agitation

shook 5 minutes

poured through 100 micron screen, overtop of paper coffee filter

scrapped up coffee filter

transfered to vac chamber for 25 minutes, to remove the moisture quickly

6. Oh gotcha I've never seen anyone do it this way! But your product looks good so I would say its a success my man. I am gonna go the 5gal method as this is what I am used to. Using fresh frozen trim and I'm gonna try to get an 8 bag set but if not 5. I've seen some buddies make really nice full melt that you can dab on a nail w/ very little to no residue in 5gal bags.

7. Do ya need the vaccuum? Id hate to have to dismantle a perfectly good fridge for the vaccum pump but if its necessary....

one bud at a time

8. #9 Bullscrog, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
    No for ice water no vac is needed. Water will evaporate out on its own it just takes a few days. This is why a number of people prefer it over bho or qwiso, no chemical solvents used just H2O :). Sorry to anyone who's viewed this thread but my harvest date kept getting pushed back as I was looking to let my buds to as long as I could. I will be harvestin in 4 days and then freezing my fresh trim for about 2 days then ill be ready to make some iwe! Again sorry I made this thread a little prematurely

9. Awesome contribution! That things fancy haha, and u can see the different grades. The lower micron products look like they would melt down nicely :D

10. Ive been making some dry ice has recently, that would be considered non solvent wouldnt it? Is that stuff dabbable on a nail and dome badkitty? Im kinnda gettting sick of running butane and alcohol washes I wanna go solventless..

11. I have only seen dry ice hash to be more like kief rather than full melt. If u want a solventless full melt I would go ice water

12. ive seen melty dry ice kief at least 50% melt, Shits bomb, but if you shake to hard you got some Doo doo kief

13. Alright so I had a delay. I have already harvested but no longer have bubble bags to use :(. Did a few small qwiso runs as I have never done it and wanted to try t out, but I am still on the hunt for more bags. This thread hasn't caught on much yet anyways so I think we got time :p

Here's a few pics from the harvest for shits and giggles. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. awesome harvest dude! 

15. Much appreciated! It actually didn't turn out too great to be honest I pulled a bit early to make way for new genetics so its not very dense. Also I found out I'm not a qwiso guy, don't have a vac chamber and I tried to heat purge like all fuggin day and t just tasted weird both times I tried. So I'm still saving all the trim I got for some IWE mwuahaha

16. You can get bags on eBay under 50$ depending on how many you want in the set.

What's everyone's thoughts on the best way to cure bubble? I'm going to go ahead and assume everyone's preferred method to dry is to leave it out for a few days to dry and harden, right?

17. I have made a few batches of ISO, but its just too freaking messy to deal with, I prefer bubble hash because its so much easier just to sprinkle on a bowl or joint.

Haven't tried the bags yet, but I've found a decent ghetto way. I picked up some nylon paint strainer bags from home depot that are made to fit a 5g bucket. The do decently for a first work bag. After that I let it sit overnight. Then strain through some metal coffee filters from Walmart, I would guess they are around 70 micron or so. Then finally strain through coffee filters. I used about two ounces of trim, and yielded a couple of grams of bubble hash.

One thing I like to do is take the wet bubble hash and set it on one half of a sheet of wax paper. Fold the other half over the top of the hash and roll with either a glass, or rolling pin. It seems to help it dry quicker and makes more chunks and a less powdery texture when dry.

IMG_20130712_021509.jpg

18. It just depends on the grade. Some I've made in the past with fresh frozen trim never completely dried into a full solid. The better quality stuff was usually pliable and would get kinda sticky when handled too much.

• Like Like x 1