Hydro vs Soil?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by HydroGrowz, Mar 26, 2016.

1. I am wondering if any experienced growers could tell me, do plants grow faster with soil? Do autoflowers grow slower? Or am I doing something wrong? I have tried to pay close attention to every detail on my first grow, this is my journal, First grow - White Widow AF - DWC, overall she looks pretty healthy, massive amounts of root growth in the bottom BUT, it seems to be growing very, very slow. I've seen several pictures of other day 12 seedlings that are about 6" high with four sets of leaves on them... I've been running my light at 24hrs, 300w led, about 24" away, 50-65% humidity, approximately 75°, and no nutes yet... Should I be doing something different????

2. Are you in hydro or soil my man?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

3. Hydro... DWC. I was at my buddies house earlier today.. His plants on day 2, look like mine on day 8.. He uses soil. I was wondering if maybe it was just the different genetics or something, idk.

4. 100% different genetics has to be cause hydro growth rates cant be matched for sure..
    And hahaha, I see that now, your name is hydrogrowz lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. Seedlings start a little slower in hydro but blow up after a couple weeks and eventually surpass soil.

The plant in hydro and the 2 next to the bushy fucker are all the same strain and started at the same time. I run 50/50 coco and perlite in my hempys and everything gets fed the same 1tsp MaxiBloom, 2.5ml CalMag, 1.5ml ProSilicate per gallon.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Well that's reassuring... I hope that's the case! I mean like I said, it looks super healthy just not a lot of vertical growth. Tons of roots though. Hey another question... I bought a pH tester for water... On the box it tells you to calibrate it and it comes with a screwdriver to do it.... What solution do I use to calibrate it... It says something about a solution being 7.0 and to calibrate using that but I'm not sure of the solution.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh it's a specific item it's called literally 7.0 ph calibration solution. Amazon my man.

8. hydroponics grows a lot faster than soil

seedling stage is slow especially for beginners though, it's hugely up to enviornment.

all it will take is for your plants to reach a certain threshold before they will explode with growth though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Just bought some at the local shop =) thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've kept the environment exactly as it should be according to all the research I've done.. I'm guessing I am just too impatient and haven't hit that threshold yet! I checked the roots yesterday and they still haven't quite reached the water at the bottom of the basket yet so maybe once they do? We shall see! Thanks guys.

1st grow journal:
    First grow - White Widow AF - DWC

• Like Like x 1
  11. I find hydro starts off slower because it's trying to establish that root system. Once it does and reaches the water in DWC the growth becomes EXPLOSIVE!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think you may be getting confused with your day count. I like many other growers call DAY 1 the day the seedling is above soil/root cube(if in DWC). If you spent 5 days germinating but started counting the day you placed it in soil/cube then you are really on day 7. For what it's worth by the time I have a tap root a few inches out of the root cube I start giving 100/150ppm feed. For what it's worth this is a picture of my current 3.5 gallon DWC Cherry Bomb's tap root when she was at day 20..

CherryBomb_day20.jpg

13. Well then.... I guess that would explain why mine seems behind because you're absolutely right, I counted from the day I started germination. Im definitely a 100% noon but I did a month worth of research before attempting this and that wasn't something I was aware of. Just checked on her a minute ago and she seems to be doing OK...

Screenshot_2016-03-27-01-08-03.png

Thanks for letting me know that. I feel a little better now! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Perfectly healthy bro

• Like Like x 1
  15. Looks fine wait til the plant stretches a bit more add bit more expanded clay to cover rock wool cube and you're golden!

nonfiction's multi-strain grow

• Like Like x 1