Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hash/Kief Capsules Questions

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Christy85, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Yesterday I followed BadKat's recipe for Cannibis Capusules at this link: BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    I didn't get much of a reaction from the capsules - I even took 4 of them and pretty much had no response.

I later saw this post by BrassNwood- Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads which is very similar to the recipe by BadKat; however, I noticed that the BrassNwood recipe says to decarb the kief for 40 minutes at 240 F. My concern is that the recipe by BadKat said to decarb for 30 minutes at 220 F. I've lurked on this site for many years and have seen a lot of people reference BadKat's capsule recipe so it seems weird that it would be incorrect, but do you guys think she made a typo and meant to have the decarb be 240 F instead of 220 F?

Also, both recipes say to use only 2.5 teaspoons of coconut oil (plus .5 teaspoon lecithin) for about 5 grams of kief. However, I tried doing that and it was way too little liquid. It was like working with barely moist sand, so I ended up using about 2.5 Tablespoons instead of teaspoons of coconut oil and then added the lecithin and it was then just moist enough to work with. Could this also have been a typo and could the recipes have meant Tablespoons instead? If you see the picture of the mixture BrassNwood posted at their recipe, it looks like much more coconut oil was used than just 2.5 teaspoons. I don't know what I'm missing here.

At this point, I'm kind of bummed that the BadKat recipe capsules aren't potent and am wondering if I need to throw them out and try again with a 240 F decarb instead? My tolerance is kind of high so it's possible I need to take some time off and try them again later, but I just made some capsules the other day with concentrate that really hit me so I think the kief capsules were a dud.

If anyone is familiar with this recipe or even if you aren't familiar but have an opinion, please let me know. Any guidance is appreciated.

2. the most popularly recommended decarb posted all around this site is the 240 for 40.
    a member spent some time with lab equipment and precise decarbing methods to reach that conclusion.
    it is still always going to end up being a rough thing. a "perfect" decarb isn't really demonstrable.
    but 240 for 40 is what I generally use myself.....

question: where is your kief coming from? just looking for some extra info on the product going into the capsule, since that's the main variable left once a decent recipe is gotten down.

as for the amount of oil, I'll tag the man @BrassNwood

you'll get a process figured out, OP! this dab is for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The decarb was poor, but should've worked to some extent.
    240 F for 240 F or 250 F for 30 min are optimal.
    The pills you now have should work, but you'll probably have to take more of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks! The kief is from my dispensary. It's Strawberry Banana strain and smoking it has been very effective so I know it's good stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks! What about the amount of oil? I still think 2.5 teaspoons of oil for 5 grams of hash is too little oil - it barely made it moist at all. Are you really using that much oil?

Also, the BadKat instructions said to freeze for 8 hours - do you freeze for that long? And do you do the additional extra freeze and heat at the end that she says is optional?

• Like Like x 1
  6. The basic recipe is from BadKats thread I've just done a bit of trimming and streamlining where I felt it didn't change the final outcome any.

If it gets you high to smoke it'll work just fine as an edible.
    Your kief-hash may be a different grade say 220micron or higher and not absorb the oil in quite the same way.
    Minor changes to allow better capsule filling won't change the strength in any large way.
    Just try and make the same general recipe time after time so your capsules are always close in strength.
    At this strength a bit to much can result in a very heavy ride and what was fun can turn into not so much fun if it all starts to spin and you get the dry heaves or worse.

Make and take this stuff long enough and you'll understand exactly what I mean as we've all gone over the edge a time or 2 finding that perfect edible high.

The freeze doesn't need to be any longer then enough to fully harden the oil again. 8 hours isn't needed. 30 minutes is enough to harden a triple batch straight from the oven.

What this does is soften and smooth the kief bits and makes for a better mouth feel. Since I like the taste of the Kief oil so well I tend to always let the capsules melt in my mouth and the freeze is critical for that. Unfrozen is like a mouth full of sand.

Adding 4 or more additional heat and freeze cycles will degrade some of the cannabinoids to lesser products and make it a less upbeat high and a more sedated one and a better sleep aid.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  7. BrassNwood's method is hard to beat, but it's intended for kief, not flower.
    For flower, I use much more oil, typically 5+ g oil for each gram flower.
    Amount of oil affects only the final concentration of medicine, not the total amount, so any convenient amount of oil can be used.
    Making caps using a 5 to 1 oil to herb ratio will produce caps that are about 20 mg thc each.

I don't think freezing for more than a couple hours does anything.
    The actual change of state from liquid to solid, and back again is probably what does something.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oops!
    You're using kief.
    Amount of oil still doesn't matter, as long as it's enough.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks everyone for your responses! I would have replied sooner but couldn't access this site until I got off work.

I did some searching on the issue of the decarb temperature. On one site, someone had done the same thing I did and decarbed at 220 degrees for 40 minutes. A person on that site recommended that the other person put the canna butter (that had already been processed) back in the oven at 240 degrees for a certain amount of time and that this would solve the problem. Do you all agree with this? Can I take the oil out of my capsules and put it back in the oven at 240 for say 20 or even 40 minutes and hope that helps some?

The other day when I tried the kief capsules that were decarbed at 220 degrees, I took 2 in the morning and then another 4 capsules a couple hours later - so I took 6 capsules in all and got zero effect from them. Therefore, I want to do something to salvage them if possible - if putting the material back in the oven at this point would be something that would help, I would definitely do it. It wasn't too expensive, but it's still like $50 I don't want to waste if possible.

By the way, I'm a long time smoker and have a super high tolerance. So there's very little chance of me greening out whatsoever. But I have had capsules that I made with shatter recently that were fairly effective, so using that as a gauge, I can see that the kief capsules as they stand are not potent at all, so anything I can do to save them would be great.

10. It's possible that you haven't been using enough.
    220 F for 30 min is a severe under-decarb (about 90 min is needed for that temp), but it should still work to some extent.
    Kief can be 20-40% thc (a guess), meaning each gram contains 200-400 mg thc.

Emptying the capsules and adding more decarb time might work, but the liquid will be hard to get out of the capsules without wasting some of it.

11. Thanks! I tried emptying one capsule and it wasn't too bad. How long would you suggest I decarb if I put the material back in the oven at 240?

By the way, I wonder if someone from Grass City could add a disclaimer to the BadKat recipe - I've seen that recipe quoted on this site so many times and it's like 8 years old. I can imagine how many poor stoners have made useless edibles because of that post, which is a great post but apparently the 220 degree idea is outdated. Which is weird because a lot of sites are still recommending the 220 degree idea. Here's a recipe on Leafly that suggests using 220 degrees How to Make Your Own Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil Capsules and that was posted in 2016!

• Like Like x 2
  12. I tried a BadKat recipe a few years ago, and it was bad.
    220 F for 30 min is about a 33% decarb, but in-oil decarb is very different from in-air decarb.
    Our resident Tincture expert PsychedelicSam recently gave some good in-oil decarb info recently, but I can't remember what it is, but 2 hours in oil at 240 F might be right. It is probably findable.
    When in-oil decarb time is learned, I'd do about 2/3 of it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks! This is extremely helpful. I was able to track down a quote of Psychadelic Sam where he says "Your cannabis will decarb in oil if heated long enough. About 2.5 hours at 240°F. "
    Does herb decarboxylate while soaking in hot oil?
    Cool!

So do I understand correctly - are you saying that since I already decarbed once at 220 for 30 minutes, that I should just do 2/3 of the 2.5 hours now? By the way, when I was making it the first time, after the decarb, the BadKat recipe had me put the kief oil back in the oven two more times for 40 minutes each at 220 degrees, so taking that into account as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Decarb probably doesn't happen at a constant rate, so this will involve guess work, but I'd guess 2/3 of the 2.5 hours won't be far wrong.

But if you've already done some in-oil decarb, take that into account, and make a better guess.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks very much. I really have no idea how to calculate any of this. I don't have a clue how Psychedelic Sam came up with 2.5 hours in oil but am grateful to you all for your suggestions.

I should have clarified that I did the whole process as follows the first time:
    • 30 minutes decarb at 220
    • Combine with oil and lecithin
    • 40 minutes in oven at 220
    • 8 hours in freezer (recipe said so!)
    • 40 minutes in freezer

So far, all of that processing time hasn't made them even a little effective, but I wouldn't want to over-decarb them either if that's possible.

I'm going to @PsychedelicSam and hoping they can chime in with their wisdom!

• Like Like x 1
  16. It looks like you've already done 2 hours of in-oil decarb @ 220 F plus 30 min of in-air decarb.
    I doubt that much more decarb is needed.
    If 240 F in oil takes 2.5 hrs, then 220 F probably needs 3.5 hours, and you've already done almost 2/3 of it.
    This stuff might already be correctly decarbed, and you just might need to use more of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I guess this could be true, except 6 capsules had no effect on me the other day. I feel like if I'm needing to take like 15 capsules to get an effect, not only will they be gone in a couple days but it seems like then I would be ingesting so much THC that my tolerance would be messed up for eternity.

My sense is that the decarb for this kief situation wasn't sufficient since I did get a good effect from some concentrate capsules I made earlier this week and only took 2 of them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I heard back from PsychedelicSam - he suggested 240 for one more hour, just in case anyone watching this thread has a similar situation and would like a remedy. Thanks Sam & everyone else for your guidance!

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 SpainExperience, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Surely kief is more potent since the bud's plant material has been removed. For calculations, I'd estimate 50.

EDIT: Actully 70% might even be closer than 50.

20. "In-oil decarb"... wtf??? There is no such a thing. Just 240F for 40mins in oven without oil or something... crumble your hash in metal dish and bake it at 240F for 40 mins... ready!!! Its not that hard.
    PS: Buy oven thermometer to be sure about the temperature. Even the best oven can be inaccurate.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app