Harvest Time - First Time Grower

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Altair401, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Hi there,
    First time grower. I have two plants. They were started the second week of September a week apart. The first plant I like to call my "practice plant". Playing with PH or nutrients generally happened with this plant before applying to the second plant. I've found that the less you mess with things the better off your plants are.

So now I'm at harvest time. My practice plant's leaves started getting yellow last week and when I've looked at the trichomes they are mostly milky with some turning amber. The second plant's fan leaves are starting to yellow too but the trichomes are clear to milky.

The plants are struggling a bit right now because the temps in the basement where I am growing is getting cold. It's 9pm now and the temp down there is 58 degrees. During the day its been around 60-62. In the future I'll start things in August.

So now I have harvested part of my practice plant and have left the second plant in fact until it gets a chance to ripen a bit more. Because of this I was faced with a conundrum. I have a small grow tent and needed a way to dry what I've harvested along side my plants which are still occupying that space.

My solution was to use a tall cardboard box to house my harvested buds. Basically I poked holes in the bottom and laced string through the holes from which the buds will hang. I folded in the flaps of the other end so it is open. Each side of the box has flaps cut which let's air pass through but they are cut in such a way that shades the grow light from leaking through. It's standing against the side of the carbon filter cylinder so that the air will get pulled through the box. On top of the box is my practice plant so the left over buds on it can mature a bit more.

Will this work well or should I dry my bud somewhere else? I just don't want the smell to fill the house. PicsArt_12-02-09.20.11.jpg
    PicsArt_12-02-09.22.29.jpg

PicsArt_12-02-09.23.29.jpg

2. @Altair401
    It'll work just fine that way. Just take care not to over dry. Squeeze the Charmin and when the smallest popcorn stiffens up start slowing the dry down.
    777 is the ideal dry.
    7 days at 70 degrees and 70 % humidity.
    If you dry to deep say below 55 % it won't cure at all and you don't get a second chance at it.
    Ruined plenty of good bud before I got that part figured out. Hot and dry here so it's a battle to get a good cure on.
    What Factors a Cause an "Earth" Smell
    Link to my dry-cure style.
    BNW

3. Just tested. Wow. I honestly thought it wouldn't be that great but it's pretty out of this world and great for kicking back with a good flick. This is the first "practice plant". Looking forward to the more robust second plant that has been drying for about a week now. Thanks for the tips!

• Like Like x 1