First grow ever need some help.

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Stilg7, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Like the title says, this is my first ever grow. I'm growing two different autos from MSNL, GDP and Magnum. I put the seeds in water over night and they sank to the bottom of the glass. From what I've read they are still ready to be planted even thought there isn't a tap root showing. I'm plating them in 3gal smart pots with Coco/perlite as my medium. I bought a bag of Mother Earth coco- I don't know how to get the amazon link to work.

With all that said my questions are.. One, are my seeds still ok to plant even though the tap root hasn't broke through on them? Two, do I just put the coco into the smart pot and plant the seed? Does this particular coco need washed? I assume no, because it's a premix and the company would've done so. And lastly, when I plant the seed should the coco already be wet? If so should I add CalMag to the water? Should it be plain water until the seedling comes through and then add CalMag and nutes?

Again, I'm brand new to all of this and any help I can get would be much appreciated.

2. I would do a little basic research on coco growing bro

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Great way to get help. You should do first grow in soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. I have never grown in Coco It’s not a good idea to give nutrients Until the plant is a little bit more mature especially if the Pre mix has some already. With that being said keep it simple. I have no idea why you would want to add cal mag to a seedling and yes you can plant seeds if you don’t want to do paper towel for 24 hrs. This way you know it sprouted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Please can we stay on topic. I don't understand why people post comments that don't have anything to do with the questions at hand. I've read about soil vs coco and chose to use coco. I've also read the feeding schedule suggested on growweedeasy's site. I'm just confused on the very beginning of the grow.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. I am very new to this but really enjoy it. I would soak the seed as you did, then place in a wet paper towel until you have the tap root. I then lightly water the coco with ph’d water, make hole plant the seed (tap root down) no more than a 1/4 - 1/2 inch deep, cover gently and water the seeded area gently again. You should see a sprout in just a couple of days. I only use ph’d water for the first couple of days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. #7 BudgetMessiah, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    I germinate on a paper towel. But I don't presoak the seeds, and use tapwater that I've allowed to sit out and evaporate off the chlorine, didn't bother to adjust pH. My tap runs a little over 8. Take it how you will.
    As for the rest, as the other guy said, you could make your first grow in soil in fabric pots. It's basically just add water.

8. I responded to your questions in another post ( screwed up and did not click reply). As stated I am new at this but willing to help. I have had good success in sprouting seedlings and growing in both coco and soil. I will answer what ever questions I can.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi @Stilg7

I recommend that you check out AskEd's thread on coco. You'll find a ton of information about growing in coco there, including the answers to the questions that you've posed in your OP.

I'll clean up your thread, and then move it to the coco sub-forum in the Hydroponics section for you.

Best of luck with your grow.

• Informative Informative x 1