Experienced growers, please help

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by HammerCam, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hey guys, I’m planning on chopping the girl on Saturday. But I’ve never done this part before. I’m not worried about trimming the plant but I need your opinions on a DIY drying set up. I’m nervous because I’ve read numerous times how important this part is to your whole harvest and due to living and financial obstacles. I need to improvise.

My idea I have planned:

Hang branches on hangers in closet with an oscillating fan aimed below at the wall for some air flow. Here’s the issue, they are sliding doors so no secure way to control the humidity.

What will happen drying in an apt closet with sliding doors in room temp around 74 degrees and unsure of the humidity.. assuming around 45-50% (based off average home RH—I know I need a humidifier /hydrometer, if I can avoid it at the moment, that’s great!)

Would you prefer maybe a soaked towel on the floor to boost the RH a little higher? or could it survive the initial hang dry until I get them in mason jars with the 62% boveda pak.

[​IMG]

Don't forget to bring a towel!
    Grasscity Forum

2. Leave long sections of the stem or leave it as a whole plant if the humidity is to low. The moisture in the stems will slow down the dry. 50 isn't super low and this will work just fine. In the winter humidity here gets down to the single digits, that's low...lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cool cool, it’s a small 14” plant so I may just chop the stem and hang it as a whole and see how that does. It’ll be a good experiment for my northern lights that’s due in a couple weeks

4. The dollar store had those herb drying racks on sale last week for 3.00..not sure if that'd a option but I thought about picking some up myself.. They have a hanger on them that will work in the closet

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. [​IMG]

So, here’s my first harvested plant, my little Thunder haze auto! Anyone guess how much this might yield to?

Don't forget to bring a towel!
    Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not much but so what. Looks good, you did a fine job and that's what makes it worthwhile even if not a big yeilder. You can now sit back and smoke something you grew instead of who knows who grew and how many hands it passed along before someone made $ off of you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Appreciate that a lot! I have a northern lights a couple weeks out so hopefully that one will have a little more!

8. Buds can loose up to 75% of their weight after drying depending on how hydrated the plant was at harvest. Plus you have stem to remove. Makes for a difficult yeild estimate. Something for size comparison might help but even then it's almost impossible.

I can't even remember the last time I weighed a harvest. It becomes less of a concern once you get your routine down

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'd love to sample it with ya.. Looks great man, definitely should be proud!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1

10. Hey so I have a question, when can I start sampling my bud? I know you’re to hang for 3-5 days then cure in mason jars. But when is it okay to light one up?

11. It's smokable when it's ready to be jared up but will only get better with time.

450ish watt led easy organics indoor grow
    Indoor organic

• Like Like x 3