aeroponic-model-4z0-stoner-experiment-5263199-rev_3-a.2866132

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by trojangrower, Jan 15, 2022.

1. #1 trojangrower, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    This is my next grow using the 4z0 aeroponic build that I've designed. It is the third articled grow following the build found in Part 1 and Part 2, where some of the components and DIY instructions are found. I'm only going to cover the changes to this system in this part.

This system uses common items that are relatively inexpensive and can be adapted for any grow space, but I did splurge on a Sicce Syncra pump since it carries a 5-year warranty and is a good pump.

upload_2022-1-15_1-20-18.png

The other system components include:
    Picture1.jpg
    and of course, the manifold for the sprayers, which are attached to the lid.
    [​IMG]

The seedling was started under 2x InFlux 5500 strips ($3 each btw):
    upload_2022-1-15_2-2-7.png
    using a 120W driver, dimmed down.

If everything works out, they will later get switched under 240 W Q55 KingBrite strips
    upload_2022-1-15_2-3-54.png
    maybe more... we'll see.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I will point out that in part 2, I attempted to use a netting pot lid, but this was incompatible because of the water pressure from the sprayers. I therefore adapted a 5-gallon lid, which has a sealing ring and snaps on tight, to harbor a 3" netting pot.
    I don't know who designed the 3" netting pot, but to cut the hole in a lid, you will need a 72mm hole saw. Alternatively, you can try a 2-7/8" hole saw, but this is 73mm; I haven't tried, but it will probably work fine.

I then started the plant using some grow sponges:
    upload_2022-1-15_1-37-16.png
    I wanted to try these since they come as a dry product and won't readily harbor opportunistic organisms. The baskets, on the other hand, I do not recommend, because they are too tight for a large plant's stalk. Better to start directly in a 3" netting pot.

01 Started Dec 30 2021.JPG
    Anyhow, one tropicana banana seed was dropped into a sponge on Dec 30 2021.
    I poured some RO water into the sponge, but plugged it directly into an aero cloner unit.
    upload_2022-1-15_1-45-10.png
    The seed sprouted on Jan 2, 2022.

I should mention that there is a solution in the pail that is constantly being sprayed upwards. This solution is made up using 8L RO water, 3 mL of calnesium (can use calmag) and 40 mL of Clonex solution. pH was adjusted to 5.5 using potassium silicate (ph-up).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. By Jan 7, 2022, the seedling had its first true leaves out:
    03 Jan 7 2022.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. On Jan 11, 2022, I realized that I needed to switch the sponge out to a better home... or did I need to? For this plant, its probably a good idea because I anticipate a larger stalk, so 3" net pot should work.
    upload_2022-1-15_1-52-48.png
    but I waited too long to create a new lid, which cost me some roots. No biggie, but definitely something to avoid next time.
    upload_2022-1-15_1-54-24.png
    Nevertheless, the seedling was transplanted into a 3" net pot filled with rocks and hydroton, which I switched to pea gravel a day later. You can see how I designed this lid. The two extra spots will be for the manifold later on.
    Also, I used a 2-3/4" hole saw, which is too small (@ 70mm) but whatever, I filed it down some and took the saw back to the store for a refund.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jan 14, 2022
    I haven't even checked the solution's pH, which I should do soon.
    Jan 14 2022.JPG
    I can see a bit of gnarled growth, but I think this is just because the plant is young, or maybe it has something to do with the unavoidable root pruning from a couple days back. Today is two weeks since I dropped the seed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Nice, If i get notifications I'll drop in again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hmmm..like to see a pic of the roots..first imo 5.5 ph is sorta low..seems like it should be further along..seems like overkill on the sprayers at this point..maybe not enough root dev to warrant it..hrd to say but you trimmed the roots? you coulda left it in what you strt'd and put it in 3'' pot..the roots bust that thing up easily but you rip roots erly..that'll slo yyou dwn

• Like Like x 1
  8. Are the sprays always that thick? I thought for aeroponics it was meant to be a fine mist, otherwise it ends up just being NFT

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. pH 5.5 is the optimal for hydro, but maybe its kinda low for starting. She seems to like it though. We are all so trained to think 6.25 is optimal, but that's for soil, and also, optimal is the top of the hill, which descends on either side (ie. pH 5.3 - 5.7 is all good).
    its not been switched, its just in the cloner atm. I only showed the manifold, which is still being used in the pirate thread matey.
    no, I ripped the roots when i transferred the plug. They got tied up in the basket...
    That gif is from part 2. The pump is stronger now. BUT speaking of misters, I did notice some newer styled ones yesterday,
    I should maybe try these ones out
    upload_2022-1-15_12-17-4.png
    ok. I suppose I can order some, but they best get here soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've decided to cancel my last Amazon order because the misters are too similar to the ones I already own. Instead, I ordered these misters to try out:
    upload_2022-1-19_14-10-3.png
    but the line is 1/4", therefore I will need to modify the manifold. If they aren't in by the time I transplant though... too bad.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I will not be using any of those misters this grow since its the roots that determine when its time to transplant and that was today.

Also, I think this system could probably use a regular 'net pot lid' because since I've moved the sprayers to the lower half of the manifold, there is little overspray. This gif is from today:
    upload_2022-1-19_22-0-54.gif
    I'm not using the Sicce pump. I've already spliced another pump's power cord thru my reservoir's wall and decided not to do that to the Sicce pump. This one is good enough.
    @chiroman idk if I'd consider this NFT; maybe let's call this an NFT/aero hybrid. I do agree its not total mist, but neither is it NFT. This is all about increasing growth rate, so it doesn't really matter, but it will be compared to the misters I ordered at a later date.

Here's some more pictures.
    upload_2022-1-19_21-57-33.png
    -prior to transplant.
    upload_2022-1-19_21-58-23.png
    -roots are the deciding factor as to when I should transplant.
    upload_2022-1-19_21-59-12.png
    -transplanted and topped; set to 30K lux under the new Q55 3500K strips from KB.

The lights ... idk, the way they got it figured out wastes a lot of head room, but for now I'm fine. The light is powered by a 240W set to <50%.

• Like Like x 3
  12. tlk about prices going up..bought three 5' lengths of pvc for $11.18..last time was $5..the fittings about $1.25 ea..fittings now $4.18 ea!!!!..hey congress!! ask me how ''tempoary inflation'' is going..the Indian frm Predator sez ''WE ALL GONNA DIE!''

• Like Like x 1
  13. upload_2022-1-25_13-15-51.jpeg
    almost a month now since I dropped the seed.
    @Dr M yes, they are trying to crash the system.

• Like Like x 1
  14. crazy what it cost to make this rig..3x what it cost two yrs ago.. DSCN3653.JPG switcheroo tomorrow DSCN3657.JPG DSCN3654.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. I know some places very expensive, but then if you know where to go, its much cheaper. For example, a sheet of coroplast at HomeDepot is ~$50, but from a graphics supplier costs me ~$20. I try to avoid Home Depot.
    Inflation is really bad this year. Not to turn this into a political thread, but the amount of money printed by western countries & the surging costs of COVID is very detrimental to global economics.

What is that you're growing doc? you should come join us in Small Spaces bud.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Today is the 30th, and its been exactly one month since I plugged the seed in. Here's today's pictures:
    100_0192.JPG 100_0193.JPG
    and then I trained her some...
    09 Jan 30 2022.JPG
    100_0196.JPG
    almost broke that center... careful!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Training Danielson!
    upload_2022-2-5_16-47-16.jpeg
    upload_2022-2-5_16-47-44.jpeg upload_2022-2-5_16-48-11.jpeg

pH ~5.6 EC ~1950 uS

• Like Like x 1
  18. Looking good. I'm curious. What is the difference between how you are running it now and a dwc like system (besides the fact is sprays the water)?

19. In this system, the roots hang in the air, only supported by the netting pot, but in DWC, the roots are constantly in water.
    Another difference is oxygen levels, this aero system provides much greater amounts of oxygen to the roots.
    But yet another difference is the way the roots compact in this aero system, which allows very large plants to be grown using a 5 gallon container. In a DWC, the roots do not compact as much and have forced off lids and messed systems up because of this. Here's a picture of the roots from a plant using the aero system in a previous trial:
    [​IMG]
    The root's color is amber due to the bennies I use, there is also a biololgical membrane embedded in the mass leaving a dark line (I don't use this membrane anymore since it didn't prevent roots). DWC roots don't behave this way; for a larger plant, one would need to increase the volume of the container. For example:
    upload_2022-2-7_13-7-49.png
    These are the containers for the CCH2O system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. i done both..aero is high maintinance dwc is nxt to no maintinance..really its about how much time you hv..yeilds are comparable..