Ed's Coconut Grove - The Lounge

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by AskEd, Jan 3, 2010.

1. How does the lettuce and herbs taste? Did you flush them for any time-period before harvest?

I only ask because unflushed hydro tasted so bad I almost gave up smoking it. Almost.;)

2. Hey Mr & Mrs Ed:wave: I love your herb garden and cloner. Your space is something to definately be proud of.:hello: I tried to rep you two, but I've already given out too much today.:(:(

I'll definitely hit ya up tomorrow!:devious:

3. Dig the way you are setting everything up. Like the different journals linked into one thread thing! :hello:

4. :wave:Hi Ed. I've been kinda following your thread for awhile now and decided to finally say hello.:eek: Alatar says you are the "Friend to Noobs" and I being decidedly a noob could use a few friends. Keep up the amazing work, it's so fun to see the pics.:D

5. The worst taste! I hear ya, whats really bad is giving the plants epsom salt and not flushing that out in time before harvest.. Terrible taste, like cat piss and something else that I couldn't pinpoint at the time. I did smoke some buds off of my latest hydro grown plant before I flushed. I had her on a low nute load and the buds weren't horrible at all.. It tasted off for sure, but nothing too bad.

Hey Ed, how's the grow goin man? I saw Mrs. Ed talkin about you guys workin on making bonsai mothers.. I've been doing the same and the one that is farthest along is really starting to look cool. Great way to keep your favorite strains around and they do great in coco. I posted a pic of one of the bonsai's I'm workin on in my journal if your curious. Hope all is well with your plants!

:smoking::wave:

6. Definetly am going to keep up with you white widow (just like I keep up with most of you grows) to see how yours come out. Looks like your house has turned into quite the garden over these last few months!

7. Lucy lettuce was the first go at growing normal things in hyrdro. She was good and you could definately taste the potential but she was harvested a bit late and was not flushed. Next one should blow her away. Ed picked a radish the other night and it was really good and I don't like radishes. The nutes are just doing amazing things to everything both inside and out. You can actually watch it green up within minutes of pooring into the nutes. Crazy stuff.

Ed will be updating everything shortly. He has been a bit under the weather this week and we bought the scrubber yesterday so overall busy as heck with with the girls.

8. Looks awesome Ed! Very interested in coco. Best of luck on the dream...sounds like a good one!:smoking:

9. MrsEd

My wife and I are looking for some good recipes so would like to find and subscribe to your posts! thanks:smoking:

10. eeew. Sorry to hear about Ed

Hope Ed didn't catch what's been going around. It put me out of commission last week and I had another Emergency visit to the Doc this week for Bronchospasm. All Bad. Missed 3 days work in total. Should have been more.

Haven't vaped in almost two weeks, but the Green Dragon works like a charm. Might become my preferred method of delivery.

I'll try my hand at lettuce or cilantro I think. How long does it take?

11. In my sig, come on down, post what you want to try and I will find the recipe that seems the best fit. I have lots and lots of research going on in the backend. I love the high off of the edibles however have to get that dosage tweaked to not be asleep for it.

12. #92 1000Hz, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
    Lol I hear that... I've been making cannabutter several times a year for 10yrs now and I still get the sleepy high often. I'm making some out of my purple cindy trim, she's a Sativa and is really energetic, so I'm interested in how the cannabutter high will be. I love to eat a little bit early in the day and then all day long each time I smoke I get extra baked. :smoking:

Hey Ed, have you ever cloned directly in coco? I'm thinking about making a tight little coco cube, wrapping something around it to keep it in shape, and putting the fresh cutting directly into that. With some gel on the tip of course.. I've always used rockwool, but I've recently seen how fast roots grow in coco, so I'm thinking I could save myself some trouble and just stick the cutting into the coco cube and then pop it right into a hempy when it's rooted. I'll put it in my mini greenhouse just like normal.. What do you think?

I'm a big fan of coco now, been on and off with it for a several months, but finally got it down and really like it.. I have a few fully established plants in it now and a couple more I transplanted today. Couldn't be happier with the results so far. :D:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. My seeds and seedlings thrived in the CocoCoir-pellets Hz when I used them. Ed I'm wondering about "root temps" with CocoCoir. More like soil than hydro or hempy?

14. I have several ways of doing cannabutter going in the Test Kitchen and also tried my own version of Saaz's Green Dragon. I will post in the kitchen once I get out of the kitchen.

Ed will be up later...he was up late partying with those girls again last night. :p

15. And such nice young ladies....

• Like Like x 1

16. Hey saaz, lettuce tastes really good, but the first one we tried out pushed past the 45 days and got a little bitter, and didn't flush it it but I plan to next time. Got plenty more planted to try and I'm keeping an eye on the flush date LOL

Thanks green! Glad to see you spreading the rep bro LOL

Thanks buddha! Good to see you come by man. When I was planning on cracking all these strains (I have 3 more not even journaled yet), I decided I'd try to keep the confusion down with separate journals. Mostly to keep down my confusion!

Hi thanks 420! Ha good ol Alatar, I certainly try to help if I can, I know I've gotten my fair share of help on this site so I like to return the karma when I can. I'll come check out your grow!

Hey hz! Yeah I saw your mother in progress, nice! Yours is more developed than mine, I think I'm 2 or 3 weeks behind yours. Good to have another one to look at in this little quest.

Thanks Sermon, yeah there are more animal and plant life forms in this house than human! We are the minority here.

Hey mikem! Thanks man, always good to see interest in coco, it's pretty amazing stuff.

Lettuce is quick to sprout and depending on the strain (there are TONS of them), it can take 45-75 days form sprout but you can start harvesting leaves after a few weeks. Cilantro is a pain to sprout but will after a week or more, and in a few weeks you can grab some leaves.

17. Hey hz, yeah I have 3 or 4 plants that are cooking in pure coco, in fact I took them out of their domes last night (a sandwich bag over a 3.5" cup). I'll tell ya that our spearmint & sage rooted within 6 days in pure coco, while taking over 2 weeks in my aero cloner (the big one)! After seeing that I went and put some MJ cuttings into coco LOL That was last week and I know one or two have rooted already. I'll get some pics up here later.

I've see in the nurseries & hydro store some coco cups, basically 2" round starter cups (nothing in them, just the pots) made of coco. I think I will try those, fill them up and it's like 3-4 times the size of a rockwool cube.

I'm with you on coco man, I had plans for all this experimenting but I started with coco and abandoned the other methods after seeing the results.

Coco has a slight difference in bigger pots since the water goes to the bottom 1/2 of the pot and leaving the top dry (fooling many into thinking it needs watering), this turns into an awesome insulator and shields the roots from excessive heat, very handy for outdoors in hot climates. Since water conducts heat, when it's present at the top like in soil, then it transfers the heat through to the roots. With coco there's just air at hte top, which is a great insulator.

Other than that, I don't know of any root temp differences with coco. I plan to put this to the test this summer! Last July we had about 3 or 4 weeks of 100+ degree days down here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Good to know about the temps! CocoCoir is going to be another avenue.

And YES it was F'ing brutal last Summer. My entire front lawn died and most of my backyard. The St. Augustine couldn't handle it. It's bouncing back though with strategic watering. Expectations that it'll be a repeat this Summer.:mad:

This is a huge concern especially with utilities. I want to keep my air-conditioning set for some economy and not totally have to set it for the plants. If I do that I might as well start buying weed again and then throw it straight in the BBQ pit!!

19. #99 1000Hz, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
    I don't drink alcohol, that's why I make cannabutter.. My method is simple and :yummy:

Yeah I have great success starting seeds in coco, I was talkin to Ed about rooting fresh cuttings in coco instead of rockwool.. Not seeds, thx though ;)

Lol I know the feeling, I do that quite often. It's nice havin plants in veg so I can go out an mess with em whenever I want to. Gonna have to check out your edibles recipes MrsEd, I'm in the mood for something new. :D

Good stuff Ed, thx for the input my man.. :smoking: That's good rooting times, pretty much on par with my rockwool rooting times. Usually like 5 or 6 days and there are some decent roots... I'm going to try rooting a couple cuttings in it tomorrow, I have a heating pad for my cloning dome.. Hopefully the coco will work as good or better than rockwool... I'm confident. :cool::D

Did you use any cloning gel or powder for the ones you rooted in coco? Just curious... I always use DM Replicator, that stuff is amazing. Tried some Scotts powder on a few clones recently and not a one made roots. Think I'll be stickin with my trusty replicator.:smoke:

20. I try to run my lights when I run my AC, which is when I'm home the most. I like cold so lights are 6pm to 6am. I don't know if this works for you but I hope it works for another brutal summer...

Yeah I used some stuff we had laying around for our patio plants - Shultz's powder I believe LOL I'm not impressed with it at all. I may try that Replicator of yours...