Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Eating raw cannabis for Fibromialgia

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by filogreen, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Hello friends!

This is my first post. First of all, let me thank you all for such a great community you created here. Living in a country where the doctors can't help with cannabis related questions, communities like this one are our best chance for learning.
    My girlfriend have severe Fibromyalgia. After tons of hours of reading about the endocannabinoid system, cannabis in general and specially, after seeing that cannabis is what seems to work best for her, we decided to go that way all in. We are taking small steps into growing our own product so that we don't have to buy it. Soon (when I can harvest) we will try to make some edibles or cannabis infused coconut oil capsules to see if that way she can get a better sleep through the night.
    Several days ago, we discovered that eating fresh raw cannabis is actually a thing and that it can be a whole therapy if one could eat around 600mg of THCA every day. The benefits seem to quick in in 4-8 weeks, and for us, it seems like a light at the end of the tunnel. First of all, THCA is not psychoactive. It won't fit into CB1 receptors, so the effects will not be cerebral, but that does not mean it will not interact with the body. THCA, CBDA and all the rest of canabinoids and terpenes will store in fat cells and regulate the body of someone with ECS deficiency. It sounds encouraging and gives us hope. I wish it would be true! For now, I would like to ask you, people with far more experience and knowledge in that matter what is your idea. Is that true? Could eating raw cannabis every day help regulate the ECS?
    I'm trying to understand first if its worth a try because its something that for us is not easy to achieve. If we ever try it, I'm planning of planting one plant every week, for 12 weeks straight. After 12 weeks, I would have 12 plants, where the oldest one is about ready to be consumed, and maintaining that would provide us with one fresh plant for about every week. Easier said than done, but if we come to the conclusion that this is worth it, we will try.
    I'm sorry for the long text. I'm just a desperate loving one in search of any kind of advice that could ease her pain. Please, if anyone could help us with something, we would be very thankful.
    Thank you in advance.
    Peace.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cannabis is a very much hit and miss drug when it comes to relieving pain and alleviating other symptoms.
    Experimenting with the various forms and methods of ingesting is really the only way to see if it works for your-her personal issues.

Being it could be as much as 20 weeks before your first harvest do you have access to street Cannabis? Buds will do. Hash or Kief would be better.
    Make some small batches of both active and inactive oils and see how she responds.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    My oil thread.

BNW

3. Members with Cast Iron Tummies only please

but I hope it works out for you

good luck

4. Hi hon! I'm "Granny" one of the science nerds around here. :biggrin: Do you have your copy of the latest version of my List? It has a decent-sized section on "Fibromyalgia", and in "Methods of use- Edibles- Raw Cannabis" are some items that may interest you, and "THCA" has it's own little section in "Phytocannabinoids". If don't have my List yet, check this out- New 2019 "Granny Storm Crow's List"!

Since you appear to be science-literate, this is going to be easy for me! :yay:

Diet is hellishly important and the "Western diet" is killing us! Our cooking oils are almost all high in pro-inflammatory Omega 6 and lack anti-inflammatory Omega 3!

“Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects.” From “The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids” (PubMed). The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI

Multi-omic analysis in transgenic mice implicates omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid imbalance as a risk factor for chronic disease Multi-omic analysis in transgenic mice implicates omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid imbalance as a risk factor for chronic disease
    "The Western human diet has shifted dramatically in the last few decades from the diets that were consumed during most of human evolution. Key changes include increases in saturated fat, carbohydrates, and n-6 PUFA, and a decrease in n-3 PUFA3,32. As a result, many people today have an n-6 to n-3 PUFA ratio that favors n-6 PUFA by as much as 20:1. Historically, this ratio would have been closer to 1:1, and the discrepancy may contribute to modern health problems".

This imbalance is destroying the ECS! “Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions” Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. - PubMed - NCBI
    “In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins.”
    "Uncoupled" receptors work as well as a radio with a loose wire! (This also affects your ability to get high! :GettingStoned: It takes about a month to replace enough of the "dud" receptors to have any noticeable effect.)

FYI- Olive oil is a 70% Omega 9 oil, so it is fine to use. Interestingly, hemp seed oil has a near-ideal ratio of 3 parts Omega 6 to every 1 part Omega 3. The scientists are still fighting over the "ideal" ratio of O-6/O-3, but most seem to fall in the 3 to 4 parts O-6 to 1 O-3 area, but some go as far as 1/1 as noted above! And one study I saw, some poor dude had a 50/1 ratio! :eek2:

A neat thing about hemp seed oil, it won't get "clumpy" in the fridge, so it makes a great salad dressing base!

So find a chart with the Omega ratios, check out your kitchen, and toss the Omega 6 oils!

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. #5 filogreen, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Thank you Granny! That is very informative, and we actually already heard some stories about omega disbalances. That´s why she is taking strong multivitaminic (including omega 3) complex prescribed by her psychiatrist.

Just had a look at your lists! WOW! What a monumental amount of work you have put together! Thats really inspiring! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Guys, I found those lab tests, that, instead of what I was thinking, are showing that the THCA is present in raw cured bud. I always thought that it degrades a lot into THC and then into CBN with time, light and room temperature. Now, those lab test are showing this is not the case, and only a very small amount will convert into THC. We dont know how long those buds were cured or other information, but that alone is enough to make me think about trying raw cured buds. What do you think?
    Another question I have is: Do you think we can grind the herb very fine and put it into some gel capsules for intake, just the way it is, cured, without any fats? Will it get through the stomach acid barrier? I heard (at least for the THC) that in order for the cannabinoids to get to our blood through eating method, they must be covered in fat cells, otherwise they can be deteriorated by the stomach acid.
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes the dry herb filled capsules work. It's always a question of absorption by the body.
    Binding the THC to an oil molecule makes it easier for the THC to pass into the blood stream. Same with Lecithin. It's another substance that assists the body in processing the THC.

Much of your dry herb will simply pass out of the body as waste with little of it actually making it way into your cells.
    Experiment. Make up say 5 dry herb, no decarb capsules. THC-A
    Then make 5 more with the same herb but with a cold oil infusion.
    5 more with cold oil and lecithin.

Next I'd try decarbed material the same way. THC.
    Dry herb and then warm oil. Personally the people I supplied oil for a wide range of ailments all did vastly better on active medications once they got used to the stone.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just have her eat something fatty a little before taking the capsules! :popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
  9. THCA is probably more bio available then THC is (CBDA is much more so). I have had great success treating endometriosis with CBDA. I would try to find a high cbd strain as I believe that the CBDA and the THCA would benefit you the most. I add some hemp oil to my caps to aid absorption. Good Luck.

10. Acidic form ( carbon active) phytocannabinoids are not as bio active as decarbed non acidic form carbon neutral forms . raw phytocannabinoids act more like pre cursor eicosanoids becuase of the carboxylic acids adhered to the molecules... once decarbed the molecule then compounds in upon itself making it more active compound molecule ( more fast acting) .
    @filogreen there was a thread here a few years back, a guy used ground up cannabis in gel caps... he a had a few pounds gifted from a friend that was considered low quality and he used a coffee grinder and made gel caps... swallowed a few each day healed his stomach issue he had been dealing with for years..
    so, that is certainly an option and like storm mentions just eat some fat content along with the dose and if there is a flare up a vaporizer with high quality cannabis can be a quick help to medicate instantly and not wait on caps to metabolize ETC

11. I have read several studies that indicate higher bioavailability of CBDA.

Pharmacokinetics and tolerability of oral cannabis preparations in patients with medication overuse headache (MOH)—a pilot study
    "Decoctions of cannabis showed high variability in cannabinoids content, compared to cannabis oil. For both preparations, THCA-A and CBDA were the most widely absorbed cannabinoids, while THC and CBD were less absorbed."

12. the carboxylic acids prevent instant cellular metabolism of the cannabinoid... decarboxylated cannabinoids are instantly recognized... this too depends on the compound like THC compared to CBD ...
    raw plant mimics better our own endocannabinoids because of the [pre cursor carboxy residues.
    this is why people do not get high when eating/ juicing raw plant, because the non decarbed compound does not access the cb receptors to create an acetylcholine inhibition type of high