Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can Marijuana cause loss of consciousness without dropping blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by guferr, Oct 25, 2021.

1. #1 guferr, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Recently, me and some friends were taking edibles.

One of them seemed to have some resistance, as she smoked weed several times (and she knows how to smoke) and even tried edibles before once without effect, so she thought it was a good idea to eat more this time (roughly 3x what we took).

Needless to say she was steamrolled, but there is one effect that happened in a way I didn't see before:

She was very dizzy, feeling like her blood pressure was low, horribly incoherent and having clear consciousness lapses even while laying down, but at the same time it didn't seem like she had either postural hypotension nor hypotension as a whole.

I say she was having consciousness lapses because she'd simply freeze for several seconds, sometimes even mid-speech. Her eyes would stop moving and gazing into nothing and all of her facial expressions would fade and relax, like she really had fainted at that moment, and then she'd come back a few seconds after.

That happened when she was laying down, so we thought her blood pressure was probably too low and decided to took her to the emergency care unit around the corner to confirm.

But then, as we asked her to stand up before taking her, we found out she had no big trouble doing so. That didn't seem to make much sense compared to our previous experiences, which weren't even that severe. We wouldn't manage to stand up if we were already struggling laying down.

And then, when we arrived on the emergency care unit less than ten minutes later, they measured her BP twice and it was normal in both readings, as well as blood oxygenation and blood sugar.

She wasn't having the same lapses anymore, but she was still horribly confused and feeling basically the same. She couldn't even speak for her self most of the time.

So that's why I'm asking: Is there any way Marijuana can cause those lapses if not by dropping the blood pressure?

Or maybe it just stabilized in those few minutes before while we walked to the emergency care unit?

Thanks!

2. She got too high. Overdid it. That's all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. This is an issue only since legalization and all the deaths that follow edibles,
    for 50,000 years mans chewed, smoked and ate weed but hit the 2010s they droop like flies
    18yo on here please

4. #4 guferr, Oct 25, 2021
    Yes, and so did me and my friends dozens of times.

We're used to see people greening out, fainting is no surprise, specially with edibles.

The only surprise was that she was in a terrible state and could stand up and walk normally while me and all others would usually faint if we stood up even if we weren't as bad as she was.

We had those effects due to lowered blood pressure when we had, but it didn't seem to be the case with her.

That's why I'm curious, I assumed it was always due to lowered blood pressure or postural hypotension.

And, just to make it clear as some people here don't seem to understand: I'm not worried.

We took her to the emergency care unit because it's free and it's literally in the corner of our block, we wouldn't deny taking her there being that she was feeling terrible and that this would reassure her (and us too) that nothing was really wrong.

5. Marijuana was never legalized my country, you can stop being sarcastic now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. In really high doses it's endless spins and hours of puking your guts up because the spins just won't stop.
    No cannabis didn't cause low BP.

I've been way past the red line and never "Black Out".

Newbees and edibles = common screw-ups. They don't respect the power of edibles yet.
    Tongue tied with a mouth full of marbles unable to speak coherently is only half way to the spins.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Once you sober up you may recall Weed don't have borders
    if you can't advise you friends even yourself
    then consider your immediate future

8. Yep. She greened out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. #10 guferr, Oct 25, 2021
    I'm sober for days already, the question is that virtually no weed (leave alone weed products) from legal markets reach us anyway.

Our consumption is large and has been growing but mostly in its own pace and not due to legalization elsewhere.

We don't have a growing problem of teenagers suddenly seeking medical help like they had in places where it was legalized due to tons of noobies doing edibles and greening out.

Plus, I (and the others) did advise her against taking more, but it wasn't her first time eating edibles and in the first it had no effect (on her, while it had on the others).

She was insisting in taking more, so well, that's on her. Now she won't do that again.

10. She was also feeling everything spinning and she did puke, just not too much. She puked twice while she was at the emergency care unit.

Maybe dropping the blood pressure and causing fainting isn't as common as we thought then, but it happened to some of us.

Once 7 years ago I abused edibles and I was blacking out, literally fainting. I didn't have spins as you're saying, but I would literally black out if I tried to stand up, even sitting I would struggle.

I went to the hospital and I fainted again while walking from the reception to the doctor's room, my dad and a nurse has to carry me to the stretcher inside the doctor's room.

I was completely unconscious and I only came back a few seconds after laying me down and holding my legs above my head.

And they measured my BP and it was in fact quite low just after fainting, although that it would quickly recover once laying or sitting.

11. I've done edibles every day for the past 8 years. 99% of the time I get exactly the same all day stone from 1 of the Hash capsules I make. Very predictable. However I have learned a few hard lessons along the way.

Large meals. Holiday affairs where you go back for that 2nd and 3rd plate of food have tripped me up enough times in a row that it's a known AVOID now. I either have to skip that days capsule and stick with just smoking the herb or severely limit my food intake.

Just about the time I get the last forkful of food swallowed of that 3rd plate of food I'll get hit with near blackout level stone. It is NOT faint from low blood pressure. It's tied up in how your Liver processes the Delta-9-THC into Hydroxy-11-THC. I've got hypertension so I check my blood pressure a lot and I've checked it when this happens and it is normal. Trust me I know the difference between what feeling faint from standing up to fast and a mega overload of THC is.

I'll break out into a full body sweat and drop to my knees when my balance goes and I have to lay down or risk just falling over as I'm getting tunnel vision.
    Sight will go all Kaleidoscopic. Sounds become totally distorted. I can see your mouth moving but all I hear is a jumble. It takes about an hour for my head to clear enough to make sense of who and where I am again.

Edibles can take you higher then you really care to go and she just went way over her personal limits. The trouble is edibles last so long that a bad trip feels like it is never going to end. Your sense of time is so distorted the seconds feel like days.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    When your ready to really push the limits of Edibles. :)

BNW

12. #13 guferr, Oct 25, 2021
    I'm not saying that your fainting or that her dizziness was due to low BP, I'm saying that mine was more likely postural hypotension when I had it.

Even why I wasn't THAT stoned, really far from this actually, I was a bit over the comfortable dosage but had no other great distortions, the only thing that was bad was that I couldn't manage to stand up and walk without dropping on the floor after a while.

And by after a while I mean that, if I stood up slowly, I could manage to keep for some seconds before blacking out. I could walk small distances and I didn't feel so dizzy, things weren't spinning for me and I could hear and talk almost normally.

And well, my BP was measured and it was in fact low right after I was laid in the stretcher when I fainted, and then it normalized within a few minutes.

But I can't assure that weed wasn't laced in that occasion either. It probably wasn't but I can't assure.

13. I don't doubt you at all. We all have a slightly different metabolism and what Drug A does for me it doesn't for you. Cannabis is no different. Being illegal for so long it's a whole new world and we all are still feeling our way along and writing the rules as we go.

Finding your personal sweet spot with edibles.

Buy a sack full.
    Take 10mg
    Wait 2 full hours
    If not stoned
    Take 20mg more
    Wait 2 additional hours
    If not stoned
    Take 40mg more
    Wait
    If not.

Keep doubling and waiting until it works.

BNW