Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Activating Tincture?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by swyrcat, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Please note I also posted this on reddit (r/trees) and got no help. Should've just come here first!
    So, first time tincture maker here. Combined 1 G with a few cups everclear, forgot about it, it sat for about 2 months. Strained all the plant matter out today and am left with the liquid. I didn't know to activate the plant (decarb, whatever you wanna call it) before adding it to the everclear. Will this tincture even do anything at all, and if not is there a way to activate it now that it's liquid?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2. @swyrcat
    Standard decarb is done first on anything you intend to ingest. Place weed on baking dish in oven at 240 F for 40 minutes.
    Tincture making.
    Decarb weed
    Freeze Alcohol and weed separately.
    Combine and shake 5 minutes
    Strain weed with potato ricer or garlic press. Do not let tincture contact skin.
    I usually do a cup of weed to a cup of 190 proof.
    Your existing tincture is partly activated now just by the elapsed time involved.
    Test it.
    Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture
    BNW

3. Damn, we did no decarb at all. Will be turning it into vape liquid then! Thanks so much for the help!

4. If you didn't decarb, then the tincture won't get you high, but still has medicinal properties.
    If the "1 G" means 1 gram herb, then I would just consider it a loss, and use the alcohol with decarbed herb for a different batch.
    If instead the value of the herb is greater than the value of the alcohol, then I'd evaporate off all the alcohol (after straining), decarb the resulting FECO (Full Extract Cannabis Oil) tar, then dilute it with oil or alcohol. Optimal air thc decarb is 240 F for 40 min.

There might be a method for accurately and efficiently decarbing in oil, but I don't know it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. This is the kind of answer I've been looking for. Thanks so much dude!

6. If you only used one gram of cannabis with several cups of alcohol then you don't have anything to work with and it would be a waste of all that money you spent on alcohol to evaporate it off. If that's all it was then do as bkarnaze stated above and just use it with a different batch.

If it's 1g of concentrate then that's a little better but you would still need to evaporate most of your alcohol to get any effects.

Cannabis will decarb naturally in alcohol over the course of 4 months and can start being used effectively after 3 months. Leave it in an airtight container in a dark space at room temperature. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. GREAT tip about it decarbing naturally! I had no idea!
    To clarify, it was 1 gram of ground cannabis in a few (maybe 3) cups of Everclear. The tincture sat in a dark closet for 2 months, 2 weeks, and 3 days (77 days total.) I shook it up maybe 3 times while I was steeping.
    I know I'm gonna have to evaporate all the alcohol off now to get any use from it. Do you know if it's possible to just let air do that process by leaving the container open over X amount of time, or do I need to burn it off via cooking?

8. You need to finish the 4 month decarb before you evaporate naturally but you're not going to get much potency with just one gram of cannabis. You should have only used a couple of ounces of alcohol instead of 24 (3 cups). I really recommend using the same alcohol for a batch with a few grams, at least, to make it worth your while. Take a look at this and the video at the bottom for a few pointers. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Will do! I agree this batch has no potency. Will be retrying next week! Thanks again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. There is universal agreement that decarb happens slowly over time, but not on the time needed to decarb naturally at room temperature. Some calculations I've seen say that it takes over 3 years to decarb completely at 40 C, and probably much longer at room temp.

11. That's for dry herb, not as an alcohol tincture. Only 4 months. The alcohol speeds up the enzymal reactions. Here's what I base that on and there's more where that came from. :)

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Very interested. That's a great link, a wealth of knowledge.
    One thing I may have missed an answer to inside all that info, what can I do with the plant material I strained out of the tincture? Basically 1 gram of ground cannabis that sat in everclear for almost 3 months and has now dried.

13. There's nothing left in it. If you want to see for yourself, dry it out and smoke it. That's a great way to see how well your extraction went. I recommend doing that for everyone as a learning tool. :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Thanks for the info.
    Does that imply that thc in decarbed alcohol tinctures will degrade more rapidly than in herb?
    I've been hoping that alcohol tinctures would stay good for a very long time and provide a good way to store potency.
    Do you have an opinion on whether tincture keeps its thc longer than frozen herb?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hahaha maybe I will smoke it then! Thanks again for all the help Sam!

16. No, it doesn't degrade as much as dry. After 3 years the dry herb may be mostly decarbed but you'll also find that the majority of cannabinoids have oxidized during that time and reduced the potency considerably. The freezer is best to store cannabis long term but it won't decarb in the freezer.

After your tincture finishes decarbing in 4 months naturally you can keep it in the refrigerator to prevent further degradation. You can also do that if using a heated decarb. I've had some on several occasions that had been in the fridge for over a year and was still great. :ey:

• Agree Agree x 1