1st grow, Jock Horror under CFL

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by heavyengineerng, May 16, 2010.

1. HIGH all. 1st grow. Nirvana Fem Jock Horror seeds.

built this fancy box while i was waiting for seeds to ship.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/594807-heavys-hot-box.html

now i have the seeds. this is my attempt to grow them in the above box.

5/11 5pm seeds go in paper towels in tupperware on the mat and out of the way. temps stayed around 80
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5/13 8am Seeds popped and are moved to soil. I went with dankohzee's mix http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/376116-dankohzees-ultimate-seed-starting-mix.html , seemed like a good idea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9pm they got moved into the basement. something about my wife not wanting to answer questions about it.
    [​IMG]

5/14 4:20pm left plant is peeking out
    [​IMG]

right plant has her head up
    [​IMG]

5/15 7pm left plant has woken up
    [​IMG]

right plant looking just as good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the fan is on but the plants are a hair too short to feel the breeze yet.

i should be updating daily. i welcome questions and constructive criticism.

Attached Files:

2. look's like your off and running heavy..
    congrat's

3. #3 heavyengineerng, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
    found a flea running around in the right pot, dead now, but whered he come from? from the dirt or? will there be more?

left plant
    [​IMG]
    right plant
    [​IMG]

thought this hole in the leaf was note worthy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. prob not a flea, prob a gnat..fungus gnat's get in your soil and breed...the larve eat at the top layer of your root system...i use a layer of perlite or sand on top of my soil's..at least a half inch or more thick layer...it will smother out your gnat larve and a sticky trap around the ladies will catch the adult's..

it is a possibility of a flea, but they breed in dry sand most of the time and i've never seen flea's before in any grow...but those gnat's do look kinda like fleas for sure..i'd takle that before it get's bad..one gnat = several hudred larve..chances are there already hatching in the soil..
    also..letting your soil properly dry out between watering's will help combat them aswell..

5. Are these the autos?

6. Off to a great start. Get those lights right up on the seedlings. Like 1 to 2 inches away and keep your temp probe right at the same level as the seedlings for the most accurate readings.

7. Heavy, first of all nice display of craftsmanship on the box! ive been reading up on building a grow box very similar to the one youve constructed, just with the addition of a clone and mother room.

I was wondering roughly how much money have you invested in your grow thus far?
    Why did you choose soil instead of hydro?
    What kind of lights are you running in there?

Good luck on your grow your have those ladies reaching the sky in no time!

8. HIGH all. thanks for the interest

yes, gnats. my wife thought the same thing. it seems like its the season for gnats. im outside all day, im wondering if it was something i brought in with me.

you think adding vermiculite on top will do the same thing? i havent bought perlite yet. you think ill be ok if i dont see any new little things?

nope. gonna be a long grow. after seeing what some of the small auto's can do, im wondering if i should make a pc grow box.

i was just about to move the one in back. i was curious how much difference there was on and off the propagation mat. the ambient temp in the basement is 60 but got as cold as 52 this past winter. so im trying to see how much impact the mat has on temps and how much the lights do. either way, the bottom of the soil is definitely warmer and i plan on keeping it on for a little bit longer. im rambling.

the lights are at 3-4 inches away from the top of the plants. i thought i read 3-6 inches was ideal? anyhoot, i tossed some 2x4s under, so theyre 1.5" closer. ill snap another picture later to see how they react. moved the rear temp thingy too.

i stopped counting how much ive spent. if i had to guess, ive put in between 3-400 including seeds. i could have saved a lot doing different things.
    im using 6 42 watt CFL's. only 2 are in use currently.
    i went soil because its cheaper and easier. i built the box to work with the 5 gallon buckets, so i want to go hydro later.

update: aha! they grow!
    left plant
    [​IMG]

right plant
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. First off, Im not gonna lie. This is my first grow and although I knew a great deal before I got started, that is nothing compared to what you learn when you fully commit.

My ambient temp in my house is 78-80F so obviously that is going to throw a whole different variable into our two grows. What I have learned from reading hundreds of journals is that the lumen output of CFL's drops dramatically with distance, exponentially. The best result, barring you can keep the temps at bay is to have the lights 1-2 inches from the plant. If I hadnt seen the results, I wouldnt believe it.

Anyway, Im drunk and rambling. I'll be following your grow everyday brotha!

10. so the plants are closer. they appear the same. i think they're pointing at the light differently, but i may be medicated. pics look identical.

temp was 72 ish. but it floats a little.

2x4's are great
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Looking good bro. I have the auto jock horror so im interested in the yield ill get with my set up.

12. i wasnt aware of a jock horror auto. have you started it yet? im curious how that hps of yours works out.

13. hey bro you light's are god now just give it time and as they grow move them up slowley with the growth..
    i'd invest in a 125w hysrofarm bro, actually i'd get 2..one in each spectrum..there only about 40$ a bulb on amazon..those thing's would rock the hell out of that box man...your talkin serious lumen's vs what you have now..

but to answer your question bro..lol
    vermiculite will work fine but you just have to use more of it than perlite unless it's large grain vermiculite..i'd use perlite though..the gnat's don't like it..
    or aquarium sand or landscaping sand..about a 1/2 thick to 1" on top..

14. i thought i had read the 125's werent as efficient lumens/watt? i went with this setup thinking it would be better to spread the bulbs around if i filled the screen up, also the bulbs cost less and i can get replacements at a local store.

took these 5/18 5pm. the right plant is really dancing in the breeze now.
    left
    [​IMG]

right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Looks great man :), gnats can be a real fucker to get rid of, I hope it was a flea.

What soil are you using?

16. no sign of any new gnats or fleas or unwanted critters. im just gonna keep an eye on things for now. if it bites me in the ass, ill have to kick myself.

Im using dankohzee's seedling mix http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/376116-dankohzees-ultimate-seed-starting-mix.html

3 Parts Miracle-gro Organic Choice Potting Mix
    3 Parts Earthworm Castings
    1 Part Vermiculite

ill be using FFOF and perlite when i pot up to the 5 gallon buckets.

speaking of 5 gallon buckets, ive started collecting bits and pieces for an ona bucket. http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/144976-perfect-odour-neutralizer.html
    ill take pictures of that once im done.

im surprised there isnt more growth, theres usually been something new every day. root growth? or am i expecting too much? looking back a week ago they were seeds.

left
    [​IMG]

right, still looking beat up by the fan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. got inspired and did a little carving. ill dig out a unibit when i have the rest of the materials.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Very nice fitment! Let me know how well this thing works when you start getting some odors. From what I have read, it still isnt entirely clear to me if this thing actually eliminates odors or just masks them.

19. Question. If I took something like that and attached a stocking full of activated carbon to the fan so it'd be in the inside center of the bucket. And then I drilled holes on the bottom half of the bucket. With the fan sucking air out would this work good for odor?

20. Dude its Jock Horror there is no odor comming from that plant, all u can face is juicy mango fruit smell ;)