Heavy's hot box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by heavyengineerng, May 5, 2010.

1. build in progress. 48" tall, 30" wide, 24" deep. 1/2" mdf and 2x4's.

this is for my first grow. im still waiting on my fem jock horror seeds from attitude. this will be an organic soil grow under 252 real watts cfl. 2 plants start to finish. box is being prepped for scrog, ill set the line when i transplant to the 5 gal buckets.

ive just kinda been winging it so far. my wife gave me the go ahead to start this project. she'd rather i grow it rather than travel to get it.

i still need to put mylar all around, but was waiting to finish making a mess cutting it up. i have everything i need for the box itself except a small fan and another thermometer.

feedback welcome.

Attached Files:

2. very nice my friend! clean cut box...
    a start to finish huh?

lighting:
    well 252 watt's should do pretty well;)...go full spectrum 6500k mixed with 3000k or 2700k...more blue for veg then more red's for flower
    will grow everything great from start to finish.. nice!:hello:

scrog:
    i take it the scrog will run across the middle? look's cool..
    i'd def make my screen like a frame so it slides in like a shelf would...this will make moving it in and out easier at harvest times.
    look's like you have everything going well...just get a faily decent fan setup for exhaust and intakes(no passive intakes they suck)
    and your gold!:D

medium and nutes:
    i'd say go hydro bro...best result's will be from hydro in a tight space like that...you have skill's obviously ! :D..lol
    i'd go with soul synthetic's,dutch master, or H&G... i have them all....but i like the H&G myself, stuff work's awesome with even tapwater....ph control like crazy..very killer stuff..easy to use without 40 thing's to buy to use it and mostly affordable..i use them for different hydro application's...aero, dwc, ebb and flow etc..all work..
    in a simple 2 plant dwc or 2 small bubble bucket's, you would have total control with these kind of nutes and could even do different strian's on different feeding reg..(bubble bucket's) at the same time in one scrog setup..
    and your nutes would last a few years for about 100$..that's pretty darn good..

so just build a few 3gal size bubble bucket's or a small 2 plant dwc unit..i'd make 3 gallon bubble bucket's myself..this will cut out all your soil bs.... gnat's and mites love soil's in cab grow's and indoor's..and all you need is grow rock or sure to grow(f'k rockwool it sux) that's why someone made hydrodon and other stuff..lol i think all perlite is better than rockwool...lol
    but you can wash this stuff over and over for years and re use it..especially hydrodon grow rock.. i am testing sure to grow next week..it's made if plastic like 20oz coke bottles...cool stuff ph of 7.0..no washing needed..kinda new to the market so there letting me test it for them against hydrodon..wooo:hello:

strain choice:
    i would go 2 plant's at a time and stick with fem seed's for scrog...
    jock horror is pretty good choice for this grow..
    i suggest picking early finishing, short, big yeilding indica dom strain's...best for small spaces as well and earlier harvest's..

your pretty good off man...your build rock's ass and look's good..it will be functional and stealthy..
    all in all your well on your way and got this one in the bag bro...nice f'n work..;)
    i like it!
    glad your putting this one in the thread for sure! it's def going on the board for all to see your work..this will help many cab grower's out there get an idea how to do this the right way...

cheer's!

3. thanks for the feedback!

the whole project is an experiment. Ive got the space and resources to go much much bigger than this, but figured this would be the best way to get my feet wet and still retain use if i decide to upsize my grow. this box would make for a nice mother or clone or seedling box if i really get into growing. im trying to keep things simple just so i can focus on the basics. i ultimately limited the height of the box to 48" due to only buying 24"x48" and 48"x48" sheets of mdf. they are much easier to move and cut than 4'x8' sheets.

as for lighting, im planning on running 6 6500k until flowering and switching all of them to 2700k.

the scrog was kind of a last minute decision, which is why it wasnt painted when i did the rest of the inside. im on the fence about a sliding unit. LBH makes some good points about using string.

i have and plan on using a 6" 250cfm inline fan on the exaust. the intake will be passive, but im thinking the bigger fan should make up for it. both intake and exaust ducts are 4" and ive got an adapter for the fan. hopefully it works as well as id like it to.

i picked jock horror because i really enjoy a functional, smoke a bowl and go to home depot, kind of high. im thinking the scrog will let me keep the taller strain under control, but we'll see.

up next: adding the last 2x4 up front to finish the scrog frame and man handling the roof to allow mounting of the chains for the lights and an electrical pass through.

on a side note, this forum is fantastic. so much good information. if it wasnt for this site i dont think id be attempting this grow.

4. Tonite i added the last part of the scrog frame. i laced it up in twine just so i could admire it.

added a 2x4 to the roof to support the chains for the lights. i might have been able to get away with out it, but 2x4's are cheap and easy to work with. i put a hole through it all so i could get the cord for the power through...not the prettiest, but it works, i will have to double check if its light proof.

tomorrow ill line the walls above the screen in mylar and hang the lights.

Attached Files:

5. right on bro that fan should pull pretty good...i alway's say passive intakes suck because of the co2 factor in fresh air...that and 90% of passive intakes don't work well once you fill a box with plant material,pot's lighting..etc..
    they all combine together and block the vacume and air flow..
    i'd say go el cheapo pc fan for an intake...this will ensure constant co2 and fresh o2 level's at all times..
    i use trellis and pvc for my screen's...i wish i went frame and steel painted or coated wire...i could reuse it..but that's just me..
    good build..i dig it..

on the lighting..go full spectrum and mix both...they grow way better under full spectrum i promise..
    cheer's

6. added mylar to the inside walls where its going to matter. i dont know if its me or the mylar, but i havent enjoyed working with it. it looks like its gonna work really well, but cutting it and hanging isnt easy for me, maybe it's technique?

hung the light fixture in there for the first time. there should be enough light in there to grow something.

i still need to finish fitting the door, add handles and mylar, ducting and fan need to be attached and finish wiring including the extension cord feeding it. still need my beans to get here and a decent trip to get soil and such.

can someone explain how to imbed pictures in posts? is there a sticky on that i didnt look for? i attempted to put one in here, but it was huuuge.

Attached Files:

7. looks legit, but perhaps more importantly i approve of your choice of whiskey

8. first of all, great craftsmanship on the box. too many people just throw a bunch of shit together without thinking. +rep

jameson. yes. :p

subscribed. interested to see how this works out for ya.

9. my draught has ended. :smoking:
    [​IMG]

the piece is new to me as well, but i really favor my one hitter. im going to enjoy this for a bit. unless my beans come in the mail, i wont be working on this till tuesday.

thanks for the support. surprised it took whiskey in a pic to bring people in. wonder how well the grass will do.

Attached Files:

10. I've been lurking these forums for a while, I normally stick to the Toking Tools section. Recently I've been considering my own grow op, and I have to say to someone who knows almost nothing about growing, your shit looks the most legit of anything I've seen so far, and I'm probably going to use a very similar design in the near future when I build my own grow box. Killer set-up, man. Thanks for postin' it up! Lettuce see more once you get your plants and everything set up!! Stay lifted!! :smoking:

11. wrapped up the box today. its in my basement in my house. i dont care what it looks like on the outside.
    [​IMG]

the real action happens inside
    [​IMG]

it currently all ready for my beans to germinate. looks nice an inviting, yeah?
    [​IMG]

speaking of beans, theyre here. ive got them sandwiched inside some paper towels sitting inside some tupperware on a propagation mat. i suppose this means i should make a grow journal now, huh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was taken just as i set it up there. the temp is holding at 80.4.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. good job heavy...lookin like a mini fridge! lol
    pretty sweet work man..

13. so i've been using this box for a bit now. my handiness doesn't translate to plants, but thats beside the point. i figured id give a little update.

the 6" duct fan rated at 250cfm wasnt cutting it. it just wasnt designed for this. with all 6 lights on the interior temperature was 93. keep in mind its perma 72 during the summer in my basement. it might be useful in the winter when its 51 down here.

I cut 2 4" holes in the light fixture thinking hot air was being trapped and didnt see any real change in temps. i tossed a 120mm fan over each hole to promote air flow between the bulbs and shaved a couple degrees off.

i ordered and installed a Soler and Palau TD-100x after re-reading Bohbo's ventilation faq http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/594150-ventilation-faq.html +rep for him. even though its only rated at 135 cfm, it really shines in this application. interior temps are 81 currently and ive still got some playing around to do, the flexible dryer duct isnt helping much. while its not much quieter in the same room, i do not notice it 6ft up in the living room like i did the duct fan. when i build a closet, ill make room to keep the ventilation hardware inside to help with noise reduction as i do use my basement for other purposes.

next test is to take the 120mm fans off and see how temps change.

theres more left on my to-do list, i need to put a wire shelf up so i can water and collect runoff and check ph when the plants are under the screen. ill post pics whenever that happens.

Attached Files:

14. pretty neat setup you got.

How much you looking to yield from a setup like this?

15. id be happy with an oz between both plants on the first run.

16. HIGH

i figured id update this as its gotten a good workout with my basil and a haze auto. these are by far the biggest plants ive had in here after killing a couple jock horrors.

I made a small platform with casters to roll the whole thing around and i find i really like the height with it on the casters. i can roll over on my chair and everything is very comfortable to work on, a lot easier than last few attempts.

i never use the door and have pulled all the venting off. im using an ona bucket and its lacking, lots of upkeep and its a running joke between my wife and i if we can smell it when we walk into the house. everyone i know well enough to let into my house knows what im doing.

i will continue to use this as a veg box. im in the process of building a walk in closet grow room to flower under hps. cfls are nice, but i need MOAR.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. what 2 plants.. those look like baisal plants tbh lol

18. beautiful plant.....

your box looks like it can be fixed...

your one intake hole... cut another one... down low

and your light hanger you built thats doubling as a shelf... you need to have the fan below that.. not above....

your fan should work... given the dimensions... and the low temps in the basement...

but if your planning to start from scratch... nevermind... beautiful plant though

19. Did the ventilation not work out? Im planning to do a same size box but debating over cfl or hps because of heat builtup potential.