HLG QB120 boards in 3k in stock for $29.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tbone Shuffle, Sep 9, 2017.

1. #1 Tbone Shuffle, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    QB120 Quantum Board
    Got my order confirmed on two.

Pick one up to build a single board fixture for a closet. Either way. I would grab one just to see what they can do. The price is right for experimenting. There isn't a better light for twice the price.

I run single boards with these. $18 wall mount meanwells.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/mdr-60-24/mean-well-enterprises

There is also this option for $12
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/lrs-75-24/mean-well-enterprises

I think that last one is the best single board option. It's 75 watts max so a 60 watt board won't run it at max capacity. It's also 90% efficient which is higher then almost anything else in the price range I can find. It should run ice cold when many other drivers can put out quite a bit of warmth.

For four boards the go to is usually this driver with a built in current dimmer. The drawback with these is they are known to run a little warm.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-240h-c2100a/mean-well-enterprises

Another viable option for 4 boards is to make 2 x two board fixtures and use 2x meanwell NDR-120-48. Wire each two boards in series to each 48 volt driver.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/ndr-120-48/mean-well-enterprises

There is many options in drivers if you want to go with parallel wiring. Just search for a 24 volt dc output power supply with slightly more available wattage then you want for that amount of boards. You can run a power supply at max capacity but you tend to have a higher failure rate if it's not super efficient and runs warm.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. I was interested in using one of these in my starter box and or veg tent. I have no fucking clue how to set it up though so I'll have to do some research. How do you like them?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm amazed at mine. A ten year old could build one. I have a thread in the lighting section on the build with pics of plant progress before and after.

• Like Like x 6
  4. I'll check that out. I was about to buy another light for my veg tent anyways, maybe ill just get 2 of these instead

• Like Like x 2
  5. IMG_0681.JPG
    This is 6 days progress from when I put them in my 4x4. I use two for veg.
    IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0689.JPG

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. For some reason I can never see your pictures :(
    If you're using 2 for veg in a 4x4 I can probably do 1 in my 2x2 then and get the the same results . I have a small starter box I'm building myself that's about 1.5x1.5x2 that I was just gonna throw together a cfl fixture for, but maybe after I see how this does in the veg tent I'll just put one in there as well .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, ill be purchasing one this Friday actually

8. Do 4k for a veg light but if you plan on start finish with the same light get a 3k it will veg good and bloom better then the 4k.

9. I have no idea why you can't see the pics it may be something to do with what app you're using for the website if you're using a phone. These are uploaded to GC, they aren't hosted.

10. I'm gonna leave my other tent for flower it's a 450w. I'm working on a perpetual harvest so I'll just use 1 3k for the veg tent. They'll get moved under the 450 when I flower .

Damn that's probably why. I'll go onto the site instead then and check it out.

11. actually I might grab 2 4ks and use those for flower and my 450 for veg. My 450 is only 200 actual w anyways .
    I would have to get 2 mwanwells though right

12. Yeah the site works lots better for me when viewing lots of pics.

Fem Auto (Amnesia Haze) Come on in and share your auto grow! This is my first

Bag seed grow journal (Flowering)

13. #13 Tbone Shuffle, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Every board needs to have a driver. You can run 4 in parallel with the cheap driver I linked in the first post. You can also use the $18 meanwell I linked in the first post. I used one of those on my first two lights and they work fine. The cheap driver has a dimmer. You can run up to 10 in series on a single driver if it's big enough. That would be near 600 watts max.

You actually have a lot of options for driver. You can find cheap ones with cords built in even if you're willing to go off brand. Considering the wattage is so low I wouldn't be scared to run a cheap 60 watt driver. All you need to do is make sure if it's running a single board that it's 24 volts and not over 60 watts. It can be as low as 10 though. Many of the cheap power supply style drivers with screw terminals have dimmer pots.

Just a reminder if you want to bloom with it get 3k. 4k would be for a veg only light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Tbone, what about a quality dimmable driver for these QB120? I would like to try 1 or 2 for a clone/seedling space, and it would be nice to adjust light output as needed.

15. There's quite a laundry list of them out there. This one will plug right into the dc plug version board and comes with an ac cord for $15. No dimmer though. There's one of those off brand 50 watters with a dimmer linked in my thread in the lighting section. nfhiggs uses those off brand drivers on his DIY lights and he says they work fine.
    www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Adapter-5-5x2-5mm-UL-Listed-3206-24VR2/dp/B01MSEGOJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504999271&sr=8-1&keywords=24v+60+watt+power+supply

Here's a dimmable meanwell but it's $35. Still not a bad price.
    www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TI-M6024-Single-Industrial-DIN-Rail/dp/B01707FOVA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1504999271&sr=8-5&keywords=24v+60+watt+power+supply

16. #16 Tbone Shuffle, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    I just ordered two of those dimmable meanwells. Those look nice. I don't mind paying a little extra for dimmers. How cool would it be to wall mount a couple of these on the outside of the tent and just have a cord running in to the light?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  17. They look sweet. For these you use regular 100k pots?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the internal dimming control.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I just might take you up on this,T....Do you think 4 boards spread out would be enough to cover a flowering area that is 3.5 ft X 5.5 ft,which usually has 6 plants at a time in it ?
    Oh,and it has a low ceiling as well,so Wide-Angle coverage is needed too.

19. It may take two of those 4 board fixtures to properly flower a 5.5x3.5 area. If you consider the output roughly equal to a qb260 is makes sense. I use 2 qb260's in my 4x4.

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. The spread on these lights is the widest I've seen. They scatter well. There's no lenses. They are ideal for tents not so much for open areas.