Budget DIY stealth grows

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by a soggy fish, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402296354.873309.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402296367.472600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. My buddy gave me this... Its small so I'll have to do LST i think. It's rigged for hydro n i have no xp in that department. Any thought or tips of how i should use this? I can't do ANYTHING with it until i move bc we have a bug guy that comes once a month

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Here is mine,
    The cab has since been retro fitted with a 150w LED panel instead of CFLs!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402734593.284286.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402734617.300847.jpg

4. #24 vaipgood, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Its been a while since I post but I'm starting a new grow soon. My stealth setup is in a mid tower atx case. This is my 3rd version of a PC grow case. This will also be my second attempt in this case.  I took everything I learned in my 2 previous failed setups and built this. I'm pretty happy with it. Created a carbon filter by sandwiching 2 120mm air filters outside a strip of carboard filled with activated carbon rocks. Using the fan to pull air thru the filter as an exhaust. The fans I'm using come with a control switch and plug into a wall socket. Temps vary from 76 to 85 so I might be trying a different lighting method, possibly a small UFO led. Any suggestions? Anyways here are some shots. The last pic is of my last grow attempt that ended up rotting /rip plants lol. It was a mico wick grow. I'll be doing a normal pot/soil grow this time around. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics in my gallery if you want to see more. Again, if anyone can suggest a good bulb or light for my setup please PM me or reply. Need to bring those temps down. Thanks!

5. #25 Stoned_Stew_UK, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    If you have a little money to spend, you may be able to get an LED panel to squeeze in there?
    Perhaps shooting TopLED an email as they do make to order... If you were to get your sales pitch right, that there is a large demand for led panels that are small enough to fit into a mid size PC you would be expanding their client base!

This unit is 400x212x60mm cant remember the form factor of a pc case but it might fit at 45deg angle, looking at the size of the pill pots your growing in the plants wont be taking over!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK-165W-LED-UFO-Grow-light-120W-Light-55x3W-LEDs-7-colours-NO-CUSTOM-TAX-/190773546862?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Thats too big I think.  area is 18.40" x 7.80" x 16.30" . Im thinking of getting this and removing the heat shield unless it fits.  its 18 x 8 x 12

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLCDG125D-Fluorowing-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B001UV6P9I

7. If your struggling with temps atm and there is only that 1 cfl in there (it looks about 24w am i right?)
    That 125w one will turn your pc cab into and eezy-bake!

I ran 4x 125w cfls in that cab i posted pics of a bit ago which is 3.2cuft and i had to take 2 bulbs out mid grow to keep temps down during early spring!
    LED if definatly the way to keep temp down, there are some led grow bulbs available that are a replacement for a regular bulb, ill see if i can find some!

The other link doesn't work, it just comes up with sears homepage, im not in US so its trying to tell me about my region or something sry lol

8. #29 Stoned_Stew_UK, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    Here are the led replacement type bulbs!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E27-3W-220V-60-LED-Red-Blue-Plant-Grow-Light-Indoor-Garden-Hydroponic-Lamp-Bulb-/291141709112?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Bottle_Warmers_Coolers_LE&hash=item43c965ed38

Or perhaps even 2 of these, one mounted on each side rather than above?
    They are cheap for a reason, they aren't brilliant but with 1 either side of the plants that close would do pretty damn well!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henweit-Hydroponic-Plant-Lighting-Growth/dp/B00E38EGPA/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1404150496&sr=8-30&keywords=led+grow+light+bulb

9. Yes,
    2x 120mm intakes at the base of the cab,
    2x 120mm exhausts at the top of the cab.

The exhausts are 4" above the light source so that the hottest air is removed first with no 'pooling' of heat in the top.
    Most shop bought stealth cabs have the exhausts lower down allowing heat to build up in the very top!

The heat issue i had was due to running 500w of lighting in a 3.2Cu/Ft cab... Essentially the same heat being kicked out as running hps lighting, but in a cab that was too small to fit a 400w hps tube in.

I had a TT100 extractor fan mounted on the outside of the cab running 187m3/hr and it couldn't keep the temps down. As soon as i switched to LED lighting im back to using the 2x 120mm pc fans (80m3/hr combined) and temps are stable around 24-26C!

10. Awsome DIY guys wow
    peace,love, and gardening

That's too awesome dude lol.

12. Enter the zombie thread. I need more of this stuff.

13. Just arrived back at grasscity forums and looks like my pictures have expired ): sucks cos I lost the originals

14. This should be called "how to burn ur fking house down thread"

sorry i had to say it and it's all i could think when i entered the thread.. im an electrician and i feel like there is some scary shit going on here haha

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hahaha then you probably won't approve of the fact that when I couldn't find any light fittings recently, I 'wired' my kettle leads directly to the bulbs with electrical tape...

Sent from my D5503 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Necro bump

Currently doing a similar dodgy grow that I thought'd fit well in my old thread.

20170420_113752.jpg
    I'll post an updated pic this evening, and I have a grow journal here: Low Budget CFL/LED Grow

Hopefully this thread gets revived, I love the dodgy bodged grow boxes!