Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

zippo lighter on a bong

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by osiristoker420, Jun 30, 2009.

1. i heard it was unsafe to use a zippo on a bong...is this true? and why would it matter?
    thanks guys

2. It's just harder to get a zippo flame to light the bowl and it tastes terrible. Just buy a bic or some beeline.

3. alright thank you :smoke:

4. Sorry to bump this, but if one were very adamant on using a zippo, is there any good tips?

5. Dont do it! Why would you wanna ruin the taste? I recommend beeline for the best taste...

Edit: You could also try solar hits.

6. I have also heard that using a zippo for lighting a bowl (longer exposure to lighter fluid) is more unhealthy compared to bic lighters.

7. even thought a zippo may be more "unhealth" for you (even though none of its REALLY good for you), ur still smoking pot and either way..its gets the job done

If u want to use one, because when i actually had fuel...i used mine...heres my tips:

1) because you cant lean a zippo on its side...or the flame stays in the chimney...u really need to tilt the smoking accessory to adjust for the flame
    so what that means is just tilt ur bowl,pipe, bong so that the flame actually touches the bowl
    but not too much or everything will get everywhere and no one wants that lol
    so just like 20 degrees...no more

2)wind sucks for a zippo...it often leads to singed hair (a lot of it if urs is long like mine and hangs in your eyes haha) so be sure to be an an area where the wind cant reach or is at least broken by your buddies hands

but thats rreally it...a lighter is a lighter

8. A Zippo burns very differently than a bic or matches. A Zippo will stay lit in the wind. It uses a wick soaked in a shit load of butane. This excess of butane makes your hit taste like lighter fluid. A regular bic uses a lighter fluid that is in a gaseous state which means that it is all burned and none of it remains to be sucked into your weed and than into your lungs. Bics, matches, when let burn for 2-3 seconds after lighting, and beeline are very effective alternatives to Zippos. Even though Zippos are very cool, and are my favorite way to light cigarettes, they are not a good idea for smoking weed, especially in a bong or other glass piece.

9. Zippos don't use butane, they use lighter fluid. Lighter fluid is a liquid, where as butane is an easily liquifyable gas. Bics use butane. What makes zippo taste so bad and so bad for you is the gases that come from burned lighter fluid, such as carbon monoxide. Butane when burned only forms water vapor and carbon dioxide.

10. its really hard to light with a zippo, the angles are usually way off. and as for taste, maybe it was growing up with my grandfather and his zippos, but i love lighting anything with them, i love the smell, taste of fluid in the morning. i cant be the only one LOL! i wish bowls were easireer to light with them, i would toss the bic, which i have only to lite bowls and just use my zippos. i have 6. 1 since high school (over 15yrs old) 1 since university 1 that was my grandfatheres (really old) 1 that was the official lighter of my circle, long story, and 2 generic zippos with no meaning.

11. I used a zippo on a metal pipe one time its a overkill and tastes bad.

12. thats cool, ya i have 3 zippos...but i just bought them online
    but i dont mind the taste at all either, its not harsh at all like everyone says they are

13. Zippos are gross. Don't do it.

14. if i had to lit a bowl with a zipp id use this one
    my dad has one just like it for his pipe

Attached Files:

15. Beeeeeeline :D

16. well if any lighter fluid is on the zippo the it may catch fire but its no big deal

i just use mine for blunts