You're in a desert, walking along in the sand.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Slake Moth, May 12, 2009.

1. You look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling towards you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

Why is that?

2. you're sadistic

3. I'm really a replicant.

4. I'm an early model cylon! ...

:confused:

5. Holden: You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down...
    Leon: What one?
    Holden: What?
    Leon: What desert?
    Holden: It doesn't make any difference what desert, it's completely hypothetical.
    Leon: But, how come I'd be there?
    Holden: Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be by yourself. Who knows? You look down and see a tortoise, Leon. It's crawling toward you...
    Leon: Tortoise? What's that?
    Holden: [irritated by Leon's interruptions] You know what a turtle is?
    Leon: Of course!
    Holden: Same thing.
    Leon: I've never seen a turtle... But I understand what you mean.
    Holden: You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Leon.
    Leon: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Holden? Or do they write 'em down for you?
    Holden: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.
    Leon: [angry at the suggestion] What do you mean, I'm not helping?
    Holden: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?
    [Leon has become visibly shaken]
    Holden: They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?

6. #7 Blutteufel, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
    Because I'm about to crack the fucker open and devour its organs for what little sustenance I can find in them, and possibly make a very ugly hat from its shell.

7. Because I smoked crack while on pcp and thought it was a thanksgiving turkey now stop interrogating me!

8. Because you're human.

9. Because you don't want to.

10. because its funny

11. I don't think you'd even find a turtle in the desert. I'm pretty sure they live around water, something you don't find too often in the desert.

12. I'm in a desert, walking along in the sand.

I look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling towards me. I reach down and I flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without my help. But I'm not helping.

That's why.

13. "Wake Up! Time To Die!"
    -Replicant Leon-

"So we all said, 'Fuck you, bitch!', and kept going..."
    T.W.A. (Tortoises With Attitudes)
    [​IMG]

14. :hello:Now I greatly enjoyed that little piece of entertainment.

15. its hilarious, and i am a stupid monkey

16. is the OP gonna answer it?

17. There's no definitive answer. Just wanted to provoke an emotional response. :smoking:

I did notice something interesting, though. I asked the question in the second person. "Why aren't -you- helping?" One would expect this question to be ansewred in the first person. "Because I want to observe it," someone might have said. But several people answered in the second person. "Because you're hungry." Is this just rhetorical, or is there something else going on...?

18. English isn't a perfect language, sometimes people might misinterpret something. i understand what you are saying, but I, for example, just imagined MYSELF walking in a desert after i saw "you're in a desert, walking along in the sand"

19. English is the PERFECT language for lawyers.

^ See what I did there?