Your thoughts on nutes.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stinky1, Nov 16, 2015.

1. First of all, this is in reference to soil only as that's all I have experience with. If you have some info regarding this as it pertains to hydroponic growing feel free to share it though. Also, I have no argument when it comes to using FFOC soil or other soils like it. ONLY USE TOP QUALITY SOIL THAT MATCHES YOUR NEEDS!!!

Alright guys here's what I'm thinking. People are hell bent against cheap nutes. You even say the word miracle grow, on growing forums, and it's like you should just kill smack your self in the face!

Now, I'm am a experienced grower somewhat but not a pro by any means. My theory is this. Nitrogen is nitrogen and potassium is potassium you know what I mean. If you buy a solution that is to be mixed with water then fed to plants then it seems to me that the only thing that matters here is the nute composition. If two different brands are 10-10-10 then how much does he brand name really mean? Is there a way of producing a higher quality nitrogen, calcium or any other nute you can think of? Is it possible that people have had bad experiences with cheap nutes because they didn't use the right nute composition at the right time? I don't understand how one brand of any nute can be better than the other so long as you are using the right amount of the right nutes at the right time.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this. Has anyone here used a good soil like FFOF in combination with nutrients like Scott's of miracle grow and had poor results, and what were those results exactly?

2. actually, i had good results with MG on a bagseed i tossed into a bucket of garden soil out back...nursemaided her through to a harvest...yields sucked, but the smoke was decent, tasted eh...

went with Espoma this time, trying to do all the right things...

running bottled nutes for the first time on this grow i began last week...Skunkwerks Rx vs NFTG = simple, one bottle. start to finish synthetic vs. multi bottle advanced organic line...first feed Fri or Sat...maybe the answers to your questions will be revealed!

3. Somewhat right about nutes being the same. It's the source that's arguable to the hardcore. I'm not even trying to go there tho. It's all about what works for you. If you throw some mystery beans in mg potting soil and it yeilds nice but lacks taste, high and other aspects then you have an opportunity to address and improve. I'm with you on this. I'll add this too. We can't all start out with pro grade equipment. Yeah it's nice to have once you can afford it but if home depot, Walmart and the dollar store have what you can afford then make the best of it and get your homegrown on!
    Lol here someone take this blunt and soapbox away!

4. #5 jay719, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2015
    I find mg products to just be inferior. Dollar for dollar Jacks dynamic duo is a much better value and drastically outperforms mg.

You don't have to break the bank to have quality nutrients or go to great lengths to get them. The gh Lucas formula is another great way to go cheap and still have quality nutrients.

5. Im surprised no one has brought up chelated vs non chelated nutrients.

6. Agree totally!!! As long as you get what the plant needs into the mix, does it matter who's name was on the product? A good friend of mine out in Southern California (long-term killer good grower) and I were discussing the nute dilemma one day and she told me what she used. I was at a point of total frustration with all the 10-bottle chemical packs that are popular now in the grow world and was looking for something effective but simple. She turned me on to "Jack's" by J.R. Peters. For $14.99, I can buy enough of this water soluble powder to last me over a year...and I generally flower 16-20 a run. I've been using it for a couple of years now with awesome results...a lot less time spent at the sink mixing nute solution and a lot smaller hit to my wallet....which is hard to do with anything you buy concerning this hobby. I'm not a fan of the MG soils because they're loaded up with extended release fertilizers, but a chemical is a chemical in my book. I want enough nutes to allow my plants to thrive and no more...and I want it to be as simple as possible. So if any of you folks are looking for a more simple way to feed your plants, give "Jack's" a try. It's great! TWW

7. Use them when the plant asks for them. Makes some of the best bud u can smoke when done wisely.

8. Thanks for the responses guys. I think it's safe to try this stuff out like I, and most of you , said...... Wisely and only when it's needed by the plant. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only person that felt this way or that maybe there was a difference that I needed to know about. Right now my ladies need iron and I think I'll get it from Home Depot. Even if it does produce less quality flowers it's got to be better than nothing. Thanks again guys

9. Thanks for the info bro. Yea I agree for sure about MG soil or any other soil with slow release nutes. Check out my white widow autos I have going. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1447693949.034590.jpg