Your opinion on wing clipping?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by BlazedCannabis, Jun 29, 2012.

1. I'm going to clip my bird today. I have looked up how to do it and what to look for. I was against clipping birds wings before. I thought it was cruel. I know it's like cutting hair or nails. But flying is very special to a bird. My mind changed a 2 weeks ago..

Someone came over and my bird flew out the door! My bird fallows me everywhere and he get's scared when I leave. Needless to say I left the room in a hurry to answer the door. Toby (bird) got scared I left so fast. I usually look at him and say "I'll be back". Or he will fly to me.

I ran after him with no shoes on. Got blisters on my feet from it being over 100 degrees out. He had to choose the tallest tree in this side of the city.
    To make along story short. I called none emergency police hotline, Animal, then the Fire department.. I finally got him back. They brought me up on the cherry lift, because my bird would fly away if anyone else touched/tried to touch it.

So I'm clipping his wings because I can't have him get hurt. He could have died! Too many risk factors.

I was wondering what people thought about wing clipping. Because now I can see both opinions.

2. Whether or not to clip wings is the same argument as whether or not to OWN a bird. Either way you are taking away their freedom. If you are going to own a bird, yes clip their wings so you dont have these types of problems, but IMO the only bird I would own is one I can release, let fly, and it comes back home when its finished...
    Homing pigeons.

3. If your bird likes you and you want him/her to be a permanent member of the family, clipping is best for both of you. As long as you keep your bird happy

i think its crueler to let them keep the wings but keep them confined

4. Yeahh I know what you mean. I love him, he is so happy with me. But he has almost hurt himself a few times by flying. He get's scared very easily. If someone flushes the toilet he fly's. He's getting better though :). I think clipping was the best for him.

5. Imagine yourself with your legs cut off. Birds are birds and flying for them is a natural thing. When their wing is cut off to me it takes something away from them that is meant to be. but that my .02 on it.

6. #6 blackleaf28, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
    [quote name='"pretinha"']Imagine yourself with your legs cut off. Birds are birds and flying for them is a natural thing. When their wing is cut off to me it takes something away from them that is meant to be. but that my .02 on it.[/quote]

a bird can still move around with their wings clipped, and flap around a tiny bit for balance and to get up on furniture. They just cant do long distance flying and get lost or hurt

getting our legs cut off is not only painful, wed be immobile

7. My family had lots of birds growing up and we clipped their wings. Just be careful and there's nothing to worry about.