Young Plant Probs.- Help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by timetrial, Oct 18, 2006.

1. My plants are trouble makers and northern lights so i'm trying my hardest not to lose any. The plants are about 10 days old but are already getting brown spots and some yellow/brown leaves. They are no more than 2 in tall and have no more than 2 or 3 nodes. Im using some 40 watt flouros and 2 20 watt cfls. I have an HPS but have not switched to that. The only thing that i can attribute it to is the soil. Im using Miracle Grow Organic Soil and they are still in solo cups. I will try to post a pic in the next few days. Any thoughts? Help is always appreciated.

2. The MG soil is prolly your problem. Most people have problems with it. I had a good first grow with it and no problems but know I just had the same problem that you have with Sta-green soil. When you transplant put them in different soil. Try to get soil with no time-release ferts.

Good Luck with your grow!!!

3. ah ah ahhh......

Its not only "time released" ferts you need to avoid, its all soils that contain pre added ferts.seedlings cant handel fertilizer

the soil your after must not contain ferts (no NPK values)
    seedlings need no ferts approx 4 weeks

4. I'm not so sure if it is the soil. The soil is Miracle grow ORGANIC which does not contain any time release nutes. I have read many people's posts which claim to have had successful grows with this soil. I used it with my last grow and it was fine. However, my last grow was with bagseed and now im using it for Nor. Lights and Troublemakers. Could these plants be more sensitive and thus explains the apparant burn? Does anyone have any sort of actual experience with this soil that can help me identify the problem?

5. I just checked the back of the bag of soil. Its NPK ratio is .10-.05-.05 Is this high for a starting soil? Like I said, this isn't the normal Miracle Grow Potting soil and the ferts in this soil are organic-which i would assume is gentler on the new plants.

6. You know, I'm going to say it once, ppl who continue to use miracle kill products deserve what they get. Stop trying to say, I think it can't be the soil, unless you add ferts already it almost has to be the soil.

7. Im with Chimera, after all the shit that is talked here about miracle grow, why do people continue to use it? Before I found this website I tried using miracle grow organic soil, worst mistake ever. transplant those plants immediately, you got lucky the first grow.

8. Trust me, I don't want to use miracle grow. I know that i need a soil with no ferts added for the young plants. However, I have been all over looking for a soil with no ferts and the only thing i can get is some shitty soil with a ph of 3.5 (top soil basically) . The soil im using now is some of the lowest fert ratio i can find. What soil do you use and where can i find it. I've even been to garden centers and I still cant find a simple, nice, fert free soil.

9. youd be better off using clay to sprout your seeds than using Miracle Kill, :rolleyes: