You know, I never realized how important it is to be an activist until...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Sad Panda, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Until I was arrested for possession. You never think it's a big deal that weed is illegal until you face the possibility of up to a year of probation for happening to have about half a gram on you. It's totally changed my perspective on everything.

The day I was arrested, I made a $250 contribution to NORML. I figure, it's a start. And not a bad size contribution for a college student, I must say. I just hope it'll be put to good use and help change these ridiculous laws. Remember, if only 5% of marijuana smokers in the United States joined NORML or other organizations like it, pot smokers would become the largest lobbying group in the country, bigger than the NRA or ACLU (according to what I remember from NORML's website).

It's simply not enough to merely complain about the law. We all must join together and speak with one voice. Because it really does matter, to all those serving years upon years of mandatory minimum sentences for the sole crime of growing medicine so they can keep a meal down. To all those who are repeat offenders for small amounts of marijuana for personal use who thought there was no way they could be caught. The only way to make things better is to change the rules that are imposed on us by those in power.

So I urge everyone, whether they have sat in jail for smoking a joint or whether they have never been caught...do SOMETHING. Donate to NORML. Write to your congressmen. Go to demonstrations. Learn how to debate with anti-marijuana people intelligently. Just make your voice heard. It may seem insignificant, but you can't give up. Keep arguing. Keep demonstrating. One day, our voice will become too loud to ignore any longer. We are slowly making progress on changing public opinion and changing the minds of those in power, but we're not quite there yet.

Thank you to all who read this. Keep on fighting.

2. way to go sad panda.

Time flys when you're not in pain or prison.
    think about it. put yourselves in the possition of those people. you could be one of them.

Some people learn the harsh way, (like sad panda here) others realise earlier the dangerous flaws in society. PEOPLE, I EMPLORE YOU, ACT NOW BEFORE YOU TOO LEARN THE HARD WAY.

sad panda, that is a great thing you have done by donating that much money to Norml. that cant be chump change for you.

3. It certainly isn't chump change. It's actually about 1/5 of the money I have saved up in the bank. But I still do not regret it one bit.